Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time driver car insurance for a 1.8 engine

Options
  • 04-06-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I found this whopper of car I really want and its under a grand to buy, really want it but so far its going to cost 4 grand to insure, does anyone of know of any cheaper places or would it make much of a difference if I got my dad to put me on his insurance?, kinda new to this so sorry if I sound dense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

edmethod wrote: »
    I found this whopper of car I really want and its under a grand to buy, really want it but so far its going to cost 4 grand to insure, does anyone of know of any cheaper places or would it make much of a difference if I got my dad to put me on his insurance?, kinda new to this so sorry if I sound dense.

Get a second car small engine cheap insurance. Put the one you want to drive in your dads name. Insure yourself on small car drive the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭edmethod

I don't get you, why would I need to buy a second car?, I'm trying to get my dad to put me on his insurance as a second driver, would this make it that much cheaper to insure me on a 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your father can't insure two cars, you need to get real and buy a car that's affordable to insure in your own name. I'd also caution against buying a 1.8L car for under a grand and this has nothing to do with insurance - it sounds like a bundle of trouble that will cost you a bomb to keep on the road because if it's that cheap it's because it's time for expensive bits to start failing.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Get a second car small engine cheap insurance. Put the one you want to drive in your dads name. Insure yourself on small car drive the other one

What about his father's existing car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So he'll be still driving a car that he isn't insured to drive :confused:

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So he'll be still driving a car that he isn't insured to drive :confused:

Ya his existing car will work but u will have to change the ownership. Obviously he will have to have the option on his policy to allow him drive other cars. You will have tp in your own car and your dad will only have tp in his car.

I don't get any of this second car thing, obviously Id be paying my dad to put me on his insurance, Id be all for starting off on a small car if I was 18 but I'm 32 and want something half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

What car is it? It's not always just about the engine size. My first insurance was on a 1.6 Bora and that wasn't a problem, when I asked the same company about changing to a 1.6 Integra, they said they wouldn't even quote me if I wasn't already a customer with them, they just gave me a ridiculous price instead.

I don't get any of this second car thing, obviously Id be paying my dad to put me on his insurance

Your dad can put you on his insurance as a named driver which will cover you to drive his car only, it won't allow you to drive a second car.

You buy a car lets call it car A. Insurance on car A costs 4k so you register the car in another name.

You buy a second car, car B. Insurance on car B is 500 tpft but as you are over 24 your policy allows you to drive other cars not registered to you on a tp basis. (You will need to be sure this is on your policy).

Insure yourself on car B and drive car A. I don't know if the registered car needs to be insured by the registered owner, may depend on your policy.

• Advertisement

You buy a car lets call it car A. Insurance on car A costs 4k so you register the car in another name.

Any suggestions as to who should be the registered owner - Sepp Blatter perhaps?
    You buy a second car, car B. Insurance on car B is 500 tpft but as you are over 24 your policy allows you to drive other cars not registered to you on a tp basis. (You will need to be sure this is on your policy).

In the event of a claim, how will he explain why he's driving a car that is not a bona fide primary car owned and insured by someone else?
    Insure yourself on car B and drive car A. I don't know if the registered car needs to be insured by the registered owner, may depend on your policy.

No, car A doesn't need to have it's own insurance, although there is a persistent urban myth (oft repeated here) which says that it does.

However.... if the OP is insured to drive (small) car B and on the day has a crash in (larger) car A and the insurance company discovers that there is no policy in force covering car A, they will quickly figure that he is the real owner of car A, that his policy (covering car B) is a sham and they will deny the claim.

He had no petrol in car B and had to collect a friend from somewhere.

That's why i said i wasn't sure re the insurance on car A, check your policy.

So can my dad not take out a new policy on his insurance for me on another car?

So can my dad not take out a new policy on his insurance for me on another car?

How do you mean?

He can get insured on a new car with you as named driver. You'd have bugger all no claims bonus from it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Drving other cars isn't covered for continual driving. It's for the occasional if needs be. If something happens and the claims agent catches on then you may have a hard time with the claim and almost certainly a loaded policy.

Some of the advice here is terrible.

What kind of car is it OP? I'd say go with something more affordable and smaller. Build up your NCB. I know it's tough as you want this car now but in the long run it's better to do it the right way and build up to it.

He can get insured on a new car with you as named driver. You'd have bugger all no claims bonus from it though

Can we get one thing straight here - the OP is talking about being added to his dad's insurance policy so we may assume that his dad already has a car and an insurance policy covering that car.

His dad cannot take out a new policy for the OP's new car and add the OP as a named driver. You can only claim to have one 'primary' car so the dad cannot take out a policy for the OP's car.

What you are suggesting is that the insurance company will issue a new policy in the dad's name and accept that the OP will only be an 'occasional' driver of that car even though he will be driving it every day and in fact will be the undeclared owner of the car. That just won't happen, they're not that stupid.

Seeing as insurance fraud as already been brought up whats stopping someone from lying about the engine size and in the event of an accident have a mechanic swap the engine for a smaller one before the insurance people get to inspect it?, the car is a rover 75 saloon 1.8, beautiful interior seems like such a bargain to have to pass up on.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Posters please keep the following part of the Charter in mind when posting.

No Dishonest Dealings.
    Don't ask how to get around repaying debts/defaulting/giving false information for loans etc - basically if it's not above board, and legal, it's not allowed. This includes advising posters to do it/how to do it.

So last question, could my dad take out a new policy on this car and insure me on it?, would that be a lot cheaper?, is there any insurance branch that would let me accumulate no bonus?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It would probably be cheaper, but by how much I don't know - you can only use your no claims bonus on one policy, so if he took out insurance on this car it would be as if he was starting with no NCB. Also it's worth bearing in mind that if you are a named driver, you'll may only have 3rd party cover (I know on any policy I've ever had, I've been fully comp, but named drivers have 3rd party cover only). And if you have to make a claim on this policy it'll drive up the price of your dad's other policy when it comes to his renewal.

When you're a named driver you don't earn a NCB, but you do get 'named driver experience' which most insurance companies will treat as a sort of 'mini NCB' and you'll get a discount for having it.

TBH, having owned a Rover 75 myself, I'd stay well away from one that's priced that low. The 1.8 engines are prone to problems that can be costly to fix. I got rid of mine because it turned into such a money pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Seeing as insurance fraud as already been brought up whats stopping someone from lying about the engine size and in the event of an accident have a mechanic swap the engine for a smaller one before the insurance people get to inspect it?, the car is a rover 75 saloon 1.8, beautiful interior seems like such a bargain to have to pass up on.

As someone else said, a Rover 75 at that price may well have issues that are not immediately noticeable. Also, changing the engine to cover for insurance fraud would be easy enough to prove with tax, log book and I'd imagine the VIN would also give some indication to model number/type.

Not something I would recommend. Personally, and I'm actually on the same boat as you, just starting to drive this year and about the same age, is to start small. It's not pleasant to be knocking around in a crappy old micra but better safe than sorry. You'll get your own NCB without relying on named driver experience. I wouldn't have someone insure your car with you as a named driver as it could be proven that it in actual fact, yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Engine sizes means nothing when determining insurance costs. I used to have an old VW with a big 1.9 SDI tractor engine that cost less to insurance than a Fiesta because it was as slow as a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Rover, You'll probadly get vintage insurance on that yoke. stay well away from that car, as i always say "i wouldn't call my dog Rover"that's how bad they are.

Cheer's for all the info yeah I think Ill have to drop the idea, at that low price there must be a lot wrong with it, going to have to suck it up and start on something small.

Advertisement