Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

At last!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

cisk wrote: »
    A multi vehicle crash has become a daily reality for the M50, there was a right hand lane collision this morning and now in the evening. Its a sad state of affairs.

And it's nearly always southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. What's that about? Just volumes, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

Volthar wrote: »
    I hope next lesson will be how to deal with roundabouts. Coolock roundabout is full of eejets.

there is a bigger problem than roundabouts (although I agree it's a massive problem too) and that is a national sport or tradition of braking red lights. If every traffic light could document every driver that brakes lights, this country would be super rich. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Panrich wrote: »
    and the obligatory bikers using the dotted line as an extra lane.

This is both legal and recommended in stopped traffic. Moving traffic is a completely different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dial Hard wrote: »
    And it's nearly always southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. What's that about? Just volumes, or something else?

Volume and you can go from 60kmh to a dead stop for no apparent reason other than someone up ahead applied their brakes too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I take no pleasure is seeing people getting done by the Cops but unfortunately this is a necessary evil. It seems to be the only way to get people to stick to the correct lane.

Hopefully folk will wise up quickly and will avoid points/fines.

• Advertisement

I'd pay to see video footage of them trying to explain to them what they were doing wrong. Like explaining astrophysics to a donkey.

Why such a haughty attitude? With the dozens of likes that received its regrettable such a bitter streak exists on this Board.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus. wrote: »
    I take no pleasure is seeing people getting done by the Cops but unfortunately this is a necessary evil.

I would take absolute pleasure in seeing these idiots getting done.

If people are too stupid to understand the rules, and how to correctly drive on motorways, their stupidity should be rewarded with a stop and a fine. they'll soon learn.

I would take absolute pleasure in seeing these idiots getting done..

I'm sure you would

I'm sure you would

Yes. It's about time these idiots (who make driving for everyone else that little bit more painful) get their comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why such a haughty attitude? With the dozens of likes that received its regrettable such a bitter streak exists on this Board.

Ah sure it wouldn't be like you to go against the grain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The thing is, there's a lot of folk out there who literally don't give a fcuk how their driving affects anyone else. I don't buy the line of half of them not even doing a test. That was a 6 month period in 1979 so anyone under the age of 54 will have had to do a test. If they refuse to drive properly they should be penalised until they do. In the same way a speeding driver will keep getting
    penalised until they either slow down or get banned.

There are a lot of folk like that Pablo but I don't think middle lane hoggers are the type you're referring to. They're hugely frustrating but I'd say 95% of the time its just pure ignorance. They genuinely think you can saunter along in the middle lane unhindered. They're not bad people just ignorant of the basic laws of lane discipline. As I said, I think this is a necessary and it will make people finally cop on. I hope they do and they avoid points because I don't like seeing anyone getting done.

I really don't get the petrol head mean-spiritedness toward fellow motorists. The average man on the street isn't near as bitter as many that post on here. For some reason some people think they become God himself when they get behind the wheel and can look down on all and sundry. They turn into............ well......................assholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I was back home for easter, all I can say is brutal drivers. Would never move back to Ireland. Every 5 minutes passing out idiots doing 40mph and rinse and repeat.

This is in the sthicks but probably repeated all over the land.

I may as well add the fog lights, whats with everyone having them on, weather was fantastic and absolutely no need to use them.

unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are a lot of folk like that Pablo but I don't think middle lane hoggers are the type you're referring to. They're hugely frustrating but I'd say 95% of the time its just pure ignorance. They genuinely think you can saunter along in the middle lane unhindered. They're not bad people just ignorant of the basic laws of lane discipline. As I said, I think this is a necessary and it will make people finally cop on. I hope they do and they avoid points because I don't like seeing anyone getting done.

I really don't get the petrol head mean-spiritedness toward fellow motorists. The average man on the street isn't near as bitter as many that post on here. For some reason some people think they become God himself when they get behind the wheel and can look down on all and sundry. They turn into............ well......................assholes!
    which is the exact last thing we need from somebody commanding 1.5-3 tonnes of metal down the road at speed.

Agreed. Time to introduce it into the driving test me thinks

Agreed. Time to introduce it into the driving test me thinks

parallel parking , driving round a tight carpark and a comprehensive test on motorway use needs to be introduced.

there are some seriously bad drivers out there , this is a first step to fixing the problem. Theres a lot more needs doing though,

Fair points Eric.

I wonder though how many of the people who think they're very good drivers and want more things introduced to the test are among the worst out there? In my experience of life, its often those who shout the most who are the worst of the lot!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The level of ignorance of correct lane discipline on the M50 and M1 which I drive every day is astonishing to the point where I've actually had lane hoggers give me the finger and flash lights. Like a chap in a white van who was driving along in lane 3 around 10 car lengths behind me in the middle lane (where I was overtaking traffic in the inside lane) and as I came to each middle lane hogger I overtook and went back to the middle lane and continued overtaking lane 1. This continued for another 3 or 4 cars all while the white van driver continued to drive in the overtaking lane flashing me any time I entered the 3rd lane in front of him even though he was well back and refusing to move in and also had many cars undertake him because of his lane hogging. He eventually had to move across as his exit was coming up and came up alongside me, giving me the finger and pointing as if to say, 'why did you keep pulling in and out in front of me'. I would love to talk to these people and try and explain the rules of lane use but I reckon a lot of these people are so ignorant of the rules, they think they are 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Hachiko wrote: »
    I was back home for easter, all I can say is brutal drivers. Would never move back to Ireland. Every 5 minutes passing out idiots doing 40mph and rinse and repeat.

This is in the sthicks but probably repeated all over the land.

I may as well add the fog lights, whats with everyone having them on, weather was fantastic and absolutely no need to use them.

unreal.

I am starting to think they got the working of them the other way around.

Cork this morning - fog. Every car with the foglights off. Baffled to say the least!

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I am starting to think they got the working of them the other way around.

Cork this morning - fog. Every car with the foglights off. Baffled to say the least!

but nobody can see how cool you look with your fogs on if theres fog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

I saw plenty with NO light on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

On the M9 this morning and the Gardai had an L driver pulled over, do some Learner drivers not know that they're not supposed to be on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    It's a particularly annoying problem on Irish roads, I actually explained the lane dynamic of a three lane motorway to someone a few weeks back and they genuinely didn't know they were supposed to keep to the left lane when driving. This person has been driving roughly 10 years so I was shocked they didn't know this, not only that but they disputed it! I picked up an RSA booklet on motorway driving from a local Garda station to show them & only then was it accepted.

Anyway, it's good to see some enforcement & hopefully there's plenty more if it to come. I'm sick of seeing people hogging the middle lane on the M50 when lane 1 is almost completely empty.

...I've flashed the headlights at people (politely) only to end up overtaking in Lane 3 anyway, to be given looks of confusion and hysterical anger. The most annoying part of the problem is people not understanding what they're doing wrong (and more importantly, not understanding the consequences it has to traffic flow on the M50 - I'm convinced it's a primary reason that it becomes a car park at times).

I mailed the NRA a year or so back about putting "keep left unless overtaking" on the VMS. It seems red tape is at play - that would have to be "part of an agreed national campaign" between RSA/AGS/NRA.
    Daaryl wrote: »
    Why did that person just stop in the focus? Could of caused a unnecessary crash!

Stupidity, and a lack of driving knowledge contributed to by no motorway or dual carriageway training whatsoever as a mandatory part of driving instruction.

Sometimes I want to go out and buy a huge-ass LCD message board and chuck it in the back window.

I drive in the U.K. A lot and I regularly see on the motorway information boards "don't hog the middle lane", that's all we need, as our signs are not used most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Finally is right. Saw the cops flash the blues and twos at an elderly man crawling along at 85-90 in the 3rd lane of the m50. Man didn't pull over for a good mile or two. When he eventually moved over to lane 2 the cops just took off. Surely they should have pulled him and told him to stick to lane 1 if he's going to be doing speeds like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Autosport wrote: »
    On the M9 this morning and the Gardai had an L driver pulled over, do some Learner drivers not know that they're not supposed to be on the motorway

They generally know, but don't care as nothing is ever done about it. A work colleague of mine has been driving on the motorway to work for the last 2 years with an L-Plate. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered doing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Autosport wrote: »

Just cause it had L plates doesn't mean the driver was the learner. Might have been doing something else to cause getting pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Can afford a 5 series but still doesn't know correct motorway driving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I drive in the U.K. A lot and I regularly see on the motorway information boards "don't hog the middle lane", that's all we need, as our signs are not used most of the time!

There is no point telling drivers "don't hog the middle lane" if they don't even understand what lane hogging is.

Advertisement