Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Smart Phone

Options
  • 27-07-2015 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

My phone has given up. Battery last about 2hours if being used and its held together with tape.

Anyone have any deals for a decent smartphone or know which network has the best price plan? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

shaunac93 wrote: »
    My phone has given up. Battery last about 2hours if being used and its held together with tape.

Anyone have any deals for a decent smartphone or know which network has the best price plan? Thanks

Bill or credit? How much you willing spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Bill or credit? How much you willing spend?

bill, 100-150 for handset and 40max per month on bill

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi - there is a tread on Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (€169 pay as you go), but you can switch networks or move it to bill pay. Have a look at the tread (it seems to be a good phone for the price tag - I got one for my daughter to replace a HTC One X)

If your an Eircom customer -Emobile have a good offer on HTC M8 (free) & M9 (149) on an unlimited plan (5GB data) 6 months at €25/month & 18 months at €39.

48months.ie is mentioned in that tread as being very good value (€10 per month) while 3 Ireland is recommended for Data.

I'm with Emobile (on above plan) and find it very good (never leave the phone down)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Salzer

I have a Motorola Moto G smartphone and I find it superb. My son is a computer software engineer and he recommended it as the best in its price range. I paid about €150 for mine on Amazon but that was some time ago. I know they have a larger version now but you might

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

New Moto G 3RD gen launches shortly also it will be €179.99 on prepay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Salzer

I have a sim free Motorola Moto G smartphone and I find it superb. My son is a computer software engineer and he recommended it as the best in its price range. I paid about €150 for mine on Amazon but that was some time ago. I know they have a larger version now but if you don't need that you might be able to get the earlier one still or find it on eBay. The battery lasts for ages!

I have a very good plan with Vodafone. I pay €25 a month and it gives me free calls to all mobiles and landlines nationwide, also 50 minutes free international calls plus free texts to all networks including international texts, plus all the internet cover I, personally, need.

I had to look for and request this plan, it is a type of special offer.

The only things not covered are special numbers such as 1890 or 1850 but there is a website - Say No to 1890 etc - where I look up the alternative local numbers so it isn't a problem; also MMS messages are charged but they are easy to avoid by limiting the characters, especially Smileys in individual texts or using WhatsApp, great for sending pictures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Husband and myself both use Moto G Dual Sim which we find useful for travelling when we buy a cheap local sim to use in second sim slot. Recommend the UK version as Irish ones were not dual sim (at least when we were looking) Can try gumtree or adverts sites for a sim free/unlocked one.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

iPhone 5c on meteor . does the job and the size wont make a bulge in ur pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭frawley2005

i think it all depends on what you want to use the phone for too, i think its funny that people want the top of the range phones/tablets/laptops when alot of people light surf and listen to music etc ... no need to go ott if u dont need to might save you money too, so u dont get stuck with a pricey monthly bill or very expensive pre-pay ... think wisely ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

Leonovo k3 note around 140 dollars, cracker full HD,5.5 inches, lollipop 5.0,13 mp camera,etc,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Like others have said.

It kinda depends on what you want it for. Work, leisure, (both), are you going to be taking pictures, surfing the web. Is it going to be your only phone?

Branded phones are going to have better support and be easier to sort out if anything acts up, non branded Chinese phones or Lidl stuff etc. will probably be fine .. but if it starts going weird .. be prepared to bin it.

The same applies to the Network you choose. Some are cheap and nasty others are very reliable but you really PAY :'-(

Example :

Tesco Mobile is dirt cheap ... but reliability and coverage is poor
    Vodafone is very expensive ... but coverage and reliability is excellent

(Before anyone contradicts me .. these are from personal experience in rural-ish West of Ireland)

It gets very complicated if you are trying to get the best phone together with the best network ... better to get the phone separately ...and then select the network based on quality, location and price plans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

bmm wrote: »
    iPhone 5c on meteor . does the job and the size wont make a bulge in ur pocket.

Maybe not the size of the phone...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi guys, thanks for all your advise, went with the HTC one M8 on vodafone. Free handset and 35 a month bill so suited me great and its a great phone too. Coming from HTC one mini i'm really enjoying the upgrade in features :) thanks again

Good luck - the HTC M8s & M9s are good phones

I have an M8 on mobile & my wife has M9 (just got it a month ago)
    M8 is free & M9 is €149 - 18 month contract €25 for 6 months & 39 for 12 months) Unlimited call and 5mb of Data.

We both have Dot covers (available off ebay for < €10)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Good luck - the HTC M8s & M9s are good phones

I have an M8 on mobile & my wife has M9 (just got it a month ago)
    M8 is free & M9 is €149 - 18 month contract €25 for 6 months & 39 for 12 months) Unlimited call and 5mb of Data.

We both have Dot covers (available off ebay for < €10)

Is that plan with Vodafone?
    I'm looking at the m9, is it good? Battery life? Much difference with the m8?

dedaw wrote: »
    Is that plan with Vodafone?
    I'm looking at the m9, is it good? Battery life? Much difference with the m8?

That plan is with Emobile (Eircom - meant to put that in - sorry).
    I've had the M8 for well over a year - very happy with the phone
    The M9 - is very similar
    Size wise it's very alike
    Camera: M8 uses Ultra pixel (2 x cameras on the back) allows you to take photos with a 3D effect - the comparison below puts it at 4MP, but that's not an accurate representation. The quality of the photos are excellent and would be a comparable to 13mp camera (imo)
    M9 camera is about 20MP
    Sound: Speakers on the M8 are great - M9 is similar (although system is not called "Beats")
    Processor: M9 octo (8) core processor v quad (4) core processor on M8
    Battery: M8 is fab, 2-3 days usage between charges. Early days yet with the M9, but I don't this is as good as the M9, but last 2 days anyway. At least it seems that way.

My wife upgraded to M9 from HTC One X (about a month ago) and she loves it.
    I have the M8, and at present I don't see any reason to upgrade to an M9 (but I would if I had to.

Would I pay €149 to go for the M9? I probably would to get better processor for any future development in android and apps

See link
    http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/49b8252ee

That plan is with Emobile (Eircom - meant to put that in - sorry).
    I've had the M8 for well over a year - very happy with the phone
    The M9 - is very similar
    Size wise it's very alike
    Camera: M8 uses Ultra pixel (2 x cameras on the back) allows you to take photos with a 3D effect - the comparison below puts it at 4MP, but that's not an accurate representation. The quality of the photos are excellent and would be a comparable to 13mp camera (imo)
    M9 camera is about 20MP
    Sound: Speakers on the M8 are great - M9 is similar (although system is not called "Beats")
    Processor: M9 octo (8) core processor v quad (4) core processor on M8
    Battery: M8 is fab, 2-3 days usage between charges. Early days yet with the M9, but I don't this is as good as the M9, but last 2 days anyway. At least it seems that way.

My wife upgraded to M9 from HTC One X (about a month ago) and she loves it.
    I have the M8, and at present I don't see any reason to upgrade to an M9 (but I would if I had to.

Would I pay €149 to go for the M9? I probably would to get better processor for any future development in android and apps

See link
    http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/49b8252ee

Thanks mate for the info. I've used devicespec before but good to get the real world experience. Currently using a smashed s4 and feel like a change from Samsung.

dedaw wrote: »
    Thanks mate for the info. I've used devicespec before but good to get the real world experience. Currently using a smashed s4 and feel like a change from Samsung.

Your Welcome,

I moved from a Samsung to a HCT - its a little different at first but soon very used to it. I was with "3" for years - probably had one in the first tranches of 083 numbers.

I had no issues with 3, just that the offer on Emobile at the time was far better than 3's. I have very goog coverage on Emobile.

As mentioned earlier - a cheaper option is the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (€169 PAYG) - but very had to get your hands on one.
    But you will not have any issues with the HTC M8 or M9

Your Welcome,

I moved from a Samsung to a HCT - its a little different at first but soon very used to it. I was with "3" for years - probably had one in the first tranches of 083 numbers.

I had no issues with 3, just that the offer on Emobile at the time was far better than 3's. I have very goog coverage on Emobile.

As mentioned earlier - a cheaper option is the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (€169 PAYG) - but very had to get your hands on one.
    But you will not have any issues with the HTC M8 or M9

Lol, the ultra 6 is my other option. If I can get my hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mauricemcc

Try the one plus good phone and reasonable enough for all u get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mauricemcc

I see some recommend emobile ,make sure u check coverage in your area ,a friend of mine joined them and the coverage is very bad ,missing calls and texts arriving hours after they sent

mauricemcc wrote: »
    I see some recommend emobile ,make sure u check coverage in your area ,a friend of mine joined them and the coverage is very bad ,missing calls and texts arriving hours after they sent

That makes sense - for all carriers

Check what coverage is like in your area and see can you get 4G or will it be in your area soon.

I have never had any issues on Emobile (at present) or with "3" in the past. Some of my friends had problems with o2 (could not get a signal while my phone had good reception) -
    So its a GOOD idea to check signal strength & service in your area of operations (home - work - social:))

mauricemcc wrote: »
    Try the one plus good phone and reasonable enough for all u get

They is someone selling an Ultra 6 on DoneDeal.
    (this is a good option if your going PAYG or sim only, as you can move or pick the option that suits you best.

If your going Billpay (with a 12,18 or 24 month contract - then the M8 or M9 might be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Moto E 2nd is going €119 in Three just picked one up for my dad. - http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=voice&pid=2480&tariffType=prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

weslers wrote: »
    Moto E 2nd is going €119 in Three just picked one up for my dad. - http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=voice&pid=2480&tariffType=prepay

That's much the same spec as the Vodafone Smart 4 turbo which you can get on PAYG for €79 or from Dunnes for €29 (see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057478754&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digestthread)

Lenovo K3 delivery from Europe or the Vodafone smart ultra 6? Both similarly proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Hi guys looking for some advise buying a phone ,as an apple user from day one I feel now it is time to get away from apple as its boring as heck .

If tried a Samsung s5 a friend has and I'm not mad about it at all .

Another friend of mine has the HTC m9 and I was messing round with it and really really like it . I'm so tempted to make the jump ,

iv done a little research mostly on YouTube and seems it gets bashed a bit .

Mainly on camera battery life and over heating .

As I know noting about android devices I would greatly welcome any advice on the HTC m9.

Also as I want to buy it out right where would be the best place to buy from ?

Thanks in advance.

Crap I just noticed I posted in wrong place ooooops 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Check HUKD for phone SIM free deals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Oneplus.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Lg phones are great, like the g3 but a little pricey. Moto g 4g 1st or 2nd series too. Also lenovo.

Advertisement