Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Recovery System - Removal

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just e-mailed the company however thought that if anyone had any thoughts or experience, boards would be the place to come.

I have a heat recovery system in my house. It was installed by Nutech Renewables in the mid-2000's. It was installed in around 20 houses but the general consensus among the neighbours was that it wasn't the best system in the world. In the attic, there is a large heat recovery system/box that is around 4 ft high, 3 ft wide and from this, numerous pipes are attached with each pipe going to the ceiling of each room to allow for warm or cold air to be pumped into each room. The pipes themselves are of the "floppy" sort (!) and are rather large - probably a foot in diameter. The airflow into each room differs greatly and I can see why - alot of the air I suspect is restricted at certain points e.g. where the pipe is draped over a timber joist and as a result, certainly in the downstairs rooms, by the time the airflow gets from the attic, through any restrictions, it's a trickle in some cases.

I am keen to get my attic converted to a livable space and firstly, this sytem takes up a huge amount of room. I've had 2 attic converters out and their first reaction when they see the system in the attic is "Holy Jaysus"! They haven't seen the likes before.

The reason I'm on is to see if anyone knows how the system works as I'm considering getting rid altogether and replacing the heat source with eco-friendly radiators in particular rooms (as some rooms are always warm - terraced house). I'm unsure however how it's all joined up and wanted to know if anyone had experience or advice to give.

There are solar panels on the roof also and this is used to heat the water (or so I believe!). I don't know though if both are standalone systems i.e. the heat recover air system and the solar panels. If they were, I'm sure I could look to have someone remove the heat recovery box and all the piping - end of. That being the case, whatever way the solar panels are connected up to the water cylinder in the hot press, could remain or be slightly altered, to accommodate the attic conversion. The water and heat both work off gas; boiler being the in kitchen.

Not sure if that is clear or just confusing but if anyone has any input, I would welcome it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Sounds like the system may need to be recommissioned and balanced correctly. Basically the airflow that is coming from the HRV system should be balanced to meet the requirement of each room (e.g. size, occupant(s)...etc....) This would have to be statically balanced at time of the installation i.e. its setup once and its left that way, as there may be no way of dynamically changing the airflows to each room (or is there - I am guessing here). Also, HVAC systems like these are not 'fire and forget' as they can need routine minor maintenance (filters ...etc...), so that may be the issue for lack of performance.

I take it that the system would look like the attached (page 9)
    http://www.energyineducation.ie/Renewables/REIO/SEAI_REIO_2011_Events/EU_Solar_Days,_Wexford,_11_May_2011/Bill_Quigley_NeTech_Renewables_EU_Solar_Days_Presentation.pdf

There is a contact name here on the presentation so I would recommend picking up the phone and asking to speak with this guy and explain the situation. Often general e-mails can get lost unless is an inquiry for a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

If there were only 20 systems installed in the country it doesn't augur well. The flexible ducting got very poor reviews, prone to constrictions such as yours, and noisy.
    We've got an attic converted in a 3 bed semi and were able to install a rigid ducted HRV system. All the ducting is in the sealed off space closest to the edge of the house under the eaves. The HRV system itself protrudes from that space into the converted part but is boxed off.
    We hoover the filters twice a year and replace them every 2 years.
    Very happy with the job that was done and I'll PM you the guy who installs and services.

If you were to remove the HRV, you'd have to consider your ventilation. The normal ventilation ducts/trickle vents in your house probably would have been sealed up when the HRV was installed. If you decommission the HRV, you'll have to open those up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Hi guys,
    Firstly, thanks for the replies. Few points raised there that I had not considered such as lack of ventilation if system was removed.

Nukem - page 9 does look very much like my system. If you look at page 21, this is also similar however on that page, the large pipes appear more rigid then mine. I'm going to try attach pictures below of my own for perusal. Thanks for posting up the brochure and contact details.

I did in fact get a call back from Nutech on the back of my email which was great. However, I reckon I need to set up a metro get with someone from Nutech and a plumber/engineer or someone along those lines so that in order to allow for an attic conversion, what can be done to assist I.e new rigid pipes maybe, smaller pipes etc. I'm no expert so at this point, need the experts in on site, as it were.

Josip - got your pm - thanks a mill. This. Isn't be the ticket. As said above, this could be the kind of guy I need to come out and suggest the best way forward. I'm keen to get the attic conversion done but at the same time, don't want to go upsetting the system for no reason or incurring a huge expense before even converting the attic, which will be expensive in itself.

Hopefully these pics will show. Again guys, thanks and I'd welcome any more feedback. I make more calls on the mean time also and report back.

Pic 2

Pic 3

• Advertisement

Pic 4

Sorry guys - am using iPad as opposed to laptop - not sure on uploading pics in bulk with iPad. Hopefully pics will show

Advertisement