Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joint bank account and wages

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Just opened a joint bank account with my other half and have to fill in a new form for work for my wages to go into this new account.

Just wondering for "account name" should I put both our names or just mine? What's the worst that will happen if only one name is on the form?

Thanks in advance

Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why not both names, you could both have debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

The account is in both names. But for your wages to go into that account just your name should be sufficient.

Ie cheques etc paid out to yourselves needn't be in both names either. Again just the one name is sufficient

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just wondering for "account name" should I put both our names or just mine? What's the worst that will happen if only one name is on the form?

A novel idea - why not provide the information as requested??? On the other hand if you are happy to deal with an foul ups and don't need the money on pay day, yes go a head and don't bother providing the correct account name and see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jim2007 wrote: »
    A novel idea - why not provide the information as requested??? On the other hand if you are happy to deal with an foul ups and don't need the money on pay day, yes go a head and don't bother providing the correct account name and see what happens!

Nothing will happen. You can put Donald Duck as account name for all that it matters. Once they have the correct IBAN and BIC, all electronic payments will go through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Nothing will happen. You can put Donald Duck as account name for all that it matters. Once they have the correct IBAN and BIC, all electronic payments will go through fine.

This is not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This is not true

Actually, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This is not true

Of course it's true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Better read the processing rules in a bit more detail then!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Better read the processing rules in a bit more detail then!

Are you suggesting the if the OP's employer pay his wages to "John Purplestar", instead of "John Purplestar & Mary Pinkstar", that the money won't go into his account?

I my experience that's not true. I've been paid to my joint account in only my name, been paid into my own account with my name misspelled. I've been paid with my business name in the account field.

The money will go to sort code & Acc numbers (or IBAN) entered

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Thanks for all your replies, I didn't think it would cause an argument but thank you all the same :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement