Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re heating/water timer switches

• 30-06-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

We purchased a house in December of last year and I'm trying to improve control of the heating/ hot water system.
    Current setup is Oil fired heating and water. There's an immersion as a backup.
    We also installed 40 solar tubes so that is currently heating most of the water.
    There's a Horstmann CHannelPlus H37XL controller, a thermostat upstairs and downstairs, and all rads other than those in bathrooms have TRVs fitted (duplication, I know).
    The house is 4600 sq ft so obviously the heating costs in winter are expensive, we knew that getting into
    it but my biggest gripe is the timer/ controller.
    It's awkward to program and only offers 3 on/off periods per day.
    Often I'll want one in the morning, one during the day (if someone is at home) one when we get home and then maybe a few later in the evening depending on who's in the house etc.
    The biggest problem I have with it though is that any time it loses power it resets to default.
    For example, I had a tradesman in the house this week and he caused a brief power loss in the house.
    This resulted in the controller resetting and heating plus water coming on for a few hours, a complete waste of oil. Likewise, if I was away on holidays when this happened the system could burn a full tank of oil before I got back.
    For the summer I've temporarily set the two thermostats to a low temp to prevent the heating coming on during the day. I'm not sure there's anything I can do for the water, nor could I use this thermostat reduction as a fix in the winter.
    I would like to replace the controller with something that allows multiple on/off per day and does not lose settings with every power loss. Remote access, while nice, is not a necessity for me.
    I've looked at Nest and Climote but Nest would require multiple units and Climote seems like overkill for the issue I have.
    Does anyone have any advice? Experience anything similar? Would appreciate your input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Replace stats with 6 settings per day per zone version. CM707 is one I use. Your TRV's are NOT duplication as these can set a max temperature for rooms when the heating is on thus saving money ie. unoccupied bedrooms etc.can be set to lower setting than the zone stat.
    If power cuts internal battery keeps the settings. Maybe your internal battery is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thanks for that.
    Looks like internal battery is dead although the manual says it should be good for 8 months of usage. Either that or it's faulty.

Will have to replace the unit with something more reliable.
    Cheers.

Advertisement