Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating House - New Heating System

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

Looking at a GAS Combi Boiler for a house renovation

It all sounds great... no need for storage tanks, instant hot water etc.

It's s mall house, 5 rooms (3 bedrooms, sitting room, kichen/living room), 1 bathroom with shower/bath

My only question is the running costs versus traditional boiler/electric shower.

Which is the better option?

I definitely want to go with the combi boiler.. but just need to know how much the running costs will be versus the traditional boiler/electric shower etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Go boiler only. If you "zone" the heating i.e. place a stop valve on the pipes feeding the radiators then in summer time you can use the boiler for hot water only. Gas is cheaper than electricity so every litre of water you heat with gas vs electricity is a saving. Also you avoid the capital cost of the electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

DHW should be heated to min 55 and mixed down at draw off

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

DHW should be heated to min 55 and mixed down at draw off

Huh??

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I think we will have 3 zones

Upstairs
    Downstairs
    Water

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Sorry about dragging up a bit of an old post but hopefully you still need advice.

I installed a gas combi boiler in my house about 4/5 years ago and it's absolutely fantastic. I have the heating zoned to upstairs & downstairs and obviously the hot water is separate. I don't have much to compare to cost wise but it doesn't seem crazy - my average bill in winter would be about €200 for two months taking into account there's 4 in my house with a young child, a cold wife and a 60 year old house.

I can't recommend combi boilers enough and incredibly easy to install.

• Advertisement
Advertisement