Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US EMT Cert Valid in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-12-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have been a Emergency First Responder for 7 years and I have just received my NREMT Certification. I am planning on living in either Galway or Dublin in the new year with a Working Holiday Visa and I will be looking for work. Does anyone know if this Certification is valid in Ireland and if there is any possibility of me getting a job? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

I have been a Emergency First Responder for 7 years and I have just received my NREMT Certification. I am planning on living in either Galway or Dublin in the new year with a Working Holiday Visa and I will be looking for work. Does anyone know if this Certification is valid in Ireland and if there is any possibility of me getting a job? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

You will have to contact the pre hospital emergency care council to see if the will recognise your qualifications not sure what would be equivalent here but possibly PHECC EMT if that's the case there is not a lot of work for EMTs maybe some of the privates
    All info for getting recognition is here http://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/The_register/Recognition_of_qualifications/PHECC/The_Register/Recognition_of_qualifications/Recognition_of_qualifications.aspx?Hkey=13bb4b8e-aee0-4260-9344-5618288d2dda
    And all other info on that site including a list of service providers but your first hurdle will be recognition and getting an Irish qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Unlikely, the US NREMT B seems to doesn't seem to match the Irish EMT in skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blakrosebush

Thank you guys for your help! I am going to send in my info and see what happens. My last question, is it worth it to try to be an EMT in Ireland? I have been reading that most jobs require you to be a Paramedic. In the US most EMT get paid close to minimum wage. Is this the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Most EMTs here practice voluntarily. Little or no paid work. Still you could try your hand but it's not worth depending on for a job.

Advertisement