Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ambulance access in rural areas

Options
  • 25-04-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

i am sure this is well covered but am wondering how ambulances cope with eg farm lanes.
    the lane i live on is now in very poor condition and the farmer who owns what was the only place for a large vehicle to turn at the end has decided to padlock the gate.
    had to call the ambulance recently after a bad fall and they were not happy and that was before the turning area was locked off.

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Graces7 wrote: »
    i am sure this is well covered but am wondering how ambulances cope with eg farm lanes.
    the lane i live on is now in very poor condition and the farmer who owns what was the only place for a large vehicle to turn at the end has decided to padlock the gate.
    had to call the ambulance recently after a bad fall and they were not happy and that was before the turning area was locked off.

thank you

It's in your best interest to have your house accessible to the emergency services.

They will always get to you but it's you who is in pain waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zambia wrote: »
    It's in your best interest to have your house accessible to the emergency services.

They will always get to you but it's you who is in pain waiting for them.

well yes i understand that. the way is being deliberately obstructed by a third party who is intransigent. his entry is needed to turn and he has deliberately blocked it off.

have emergency services any entry powers in such a case..eg do they carry bolt cutters...would the gardai help...

some ambulance services have smaller vehicles but not this one.

well yes i understand that. the way is being deliberately obstructed by a third party who is intransigent. his entry is needed to turn and he has deliberately blocked it off.

have emergency services any entry powers in such a case..eg do they carry bolt cutters...would the gardai help...

some ambulance services have smaller vehicles but not this one.

Actually they might not have bolt cutters handy.

Chances are this would be explained to the 000 when the call is made. They would of course try and make arrangements to enter.

However why are you living somewhere that is cut off from emergency services.

If you see this as a problem your right you need to sort it with this person or create an alternative entrance to your property. Hire a builder to Tarmac a driveway to your property then you do not need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the access road to your property solely on his private property? If so then you need to negotiate ownership of the access to your proprty, if it isn't his then he has no right to gate it and is in breach of some law or regulation somewhere.

Actually they might not have bolt cutters handy.

Chances are this would be explained to the 000 when the call is made. They would of course try and make arrangements to enter.

However why are you living somewhere that is cut off from emergency services.

If you see this as a problem your right you need to sort it with this person or create an alternative entrance to your property. Hire a builder to Tarmac a driveway to your property then you do not need to worry about it.

im not. period.

if i say irish right of way situation.....the man concerned is unbelievable. loves litigation and causing grief. he heard the ambulance had difficulty and deliberately made it harder.

hire a builder! lol...tarmac!:P

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Is the access road to your property solely on his private property? If so then you need to negotiate ownership of the access to your proprty, if it isn't his then he has no right to gate it an.d is in breach of some law or regulation somewhere.

no. the access road belongs to my landlord who is great. the bad neighbour has systematically overused the lane which he has a right of way on, destroying the surface. i am a witness and doing the paperwork for a pending small claims court case to make him pay for the repairs.

cul de sac and the only place for larger vehicles to turn is an area of land owned by him. unused. he has now padlocked it..tiny lock. ;)

so this is simply retaliation now. he loves litigation. wants us to make a great fuss etc, so we are trying
    to avoid that.

will be talking to my landlord re a second gate as the drivers seemed inexpert which surprised us in a deeply rural area. there are farms and houses far more inaccessible than this.
    there is of course a good gate but they drive right past that so will acquire a traffic cone maybe.

which is why i posted, as surely there must be ways when eg a lane is flooded or blocked by a fallen tree.

it was maybe just this one crew. they made heavy weather of it even with the then good turning space and told me they would never come here again.

hire a builder! lol...tarmac!:P

Why is that ridiculous? Tarmac or concrete would fix your scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

no. the access road belongs to my landlord who is great. the bad neighbour has systematically overused the lane which he has a right of way on, destroying the surface. i am a witness and doing the paperwork for a pending small claims court case to make him pay for the repairs.

cul de sac and the only place for larger vehicles to turn is an area of land owned by him. unused. he has now padlocked it..tiny lock. ;)

so this is simply retaliation now. he loves litigation. wants us to make a great fuss etc, so we are trying
    to avoid that.

will be talking to my landlord re a second gate as the drivers seemed inexpert which surprised us in a deeply rural area. there are farms and houses far more inaccessible than this.
    there is of course a good gate but they drive right past that so will acquire a traffic cone maybe.

which is why i posted, as surely there must be ways when eg a lane is flooded or blocked by a fallen tree.

it was maybe just this one crew. they made heavy weather of it even with the then good turning space and told me they would never come here again.

You need to get your landlord to sort out the access to his property and don't bother with the gate at the end of the lane, land litigation is a great game for solicitors only. When the road is being resurfaced it won't be a big job to create access and it'll be needed for the resurfacing trucks anyway. Are you or the LL taking the small claims case?

It's not just rural areas that have access issues for emergency vehicles. With our stupid planning laws not allowing enough car parking spaces people park everywhere and the fire engine turn about at the end of most estate roads fits loads of cars, so people can have an empty driveway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Why is that ridiculous? Tarmac or concrete would fix your scenario.

I would imagine its a question of cost. It sounds as if the bohereen is a considerable length. The cost will be high. Bear in mind that the OP rents this property and will never own these improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

to avoid that.

There is something very wrong with this statement and this thread. I don't believe for one minute a member of the ambulance service told you 'they would never come here again.' I would hope a member of the emergency services would never be that unprofessional. If the ES are required at a location, they will generally make sure they get access to it when needed. Ambulances are relatively small, how does your oil/gas/coal truck get in to your house for deliveries?

• Advertisement

Maphisto wrote: »
    I would imagine its a question of cost. It sounds as if the bohereen is a considerable length. The cost will be high. Bear in mind that the OP rents this property and will never own these improvements.

Granted but if that is the case it's a choice the op is making and as such has to be prepared to accept the ramifications of such a choice.

It's not like the ambulance won't come but it's no use to you if you need to be rushed to hospital and the unit is stuck at the end of your lane way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Granted but if that is the case it's a choice the op is making and as such has to be prepared to accept the ramifications of such a choice.

It's not like the ambulance won't come but it's no use to you if you need to be rushed to hospital and the unit is stuck at the end of your lane way.

Maybe, but choices are frequently dictated by circumstance or by choices we made 10 or 20 years ago. We don't really know the OP's situation, they may well not have many options.

ratracer wrote: »
    There is something very wrong with this statement and this thread. I don't believe for one minute a member of the ambulance service told you 'they would never come here again.' I would hope a member of the emergency services would never be that unprofessional. If the ES are required at a location, they will generally make sure they get access to it when needed. Ambulances are relatively small, how does your oil/gas/coal truck get in to your house for deliveries?

Updating this and thank you all for input. I don;t get anything delivered here, period, except An Post. I bring coal up two or three bags at a time in my small car and that is fine No oil or gas here! So there is nothing suspect going on. We are still waiting on the court system to sort out the mess up here. I would not want any es vehicle to get damaged or endangered and they have stated they will not come up here again. The lane is very narrow and rutted. The Gardai have had to be involved for various reasons and are very well aware of the ongoing problems. Deeply grateful to them for their kindness. So I am hoping now that I never need an ambulance again. I certainly will never ask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

You would probably get a pizza delivered quicker to your door than any other services!!

Maphisto wrote: »
    Maybe, but choices are frequently dictated by circumstance or by choices we made 10 or 20 years ago. We don't really know the OP's situation, they may well not have many options.

Access was viable when I came here and this is my home and with rent allowance etc needed no choice.

chrysagon wrote: »
    You would probably get a pizza delivered quicker to your door than any other services!!

Oh indeed yes. although the ambulance was very fast in March...thankfully I never ask delivery of anything.. unless it comes by An Post, forget it

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need to get your landlord to sort out the access to his property and don't bother with the gate at the end of the lane, land litigation is a great game for solicitors only. When the road is being resurfaced it won't be a big job to create access and it'll be needed for the resurfacing trucks anyway. Are you or the LL taking the small claims case?

It's not just rural areas that have access issues for emergency vehicles. With our stupid planning laws not allowing enough car parking spaces people park everywhere and the fire engine turn about at the end of most estate roads fits loads of cars, so people can have an empty driveway!

Court case adjourned yet again.. small claims case got bogged down because seen as a part of the wider issues.The Judge was grand but hands tied.. I am fine re not calling anyone. I know they have a duty of care but do not want anyone put in danger, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At the local ambulance station last year I saw a 4x4 ambulance (landrover defender) ,didn't look like it was used much - (May not have even been a HSE ambulance) . I looked in the back and it certainly looked basic- space for a stretcher and not much else-
    I wonder what the logistics of calling out this ambulance are- who makes the decision to send the landrover , would have though it'd be used as a Shuttle vehicle ,to get the patient to the road-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    At the local ambulance station last year I saw a 4x4 ambulance (landrover defender) ,didn't look like it was used much - (May not have even been a HSE ambulance) . I looked in the back and it certainly looked basic- space for a stretcher and not much else-
    I wonder what the logistics of calling out this ambulance are- who makes the decision to send the landrover , would have though it'd be used as a Shuttle vehicle ,to get the patient to the road-

I had thought of that but they dont have one locally. It is a real need in deep rural areas. I have seen a smaller car like ambulance in the next county... Oh I omitted that the statement of the ambulance people that they will not attend up here was made again to a reliable third party who will bear witness to that if need be.. Ah well! Over and out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ambulances won't refuse to go somewhere they are needed in an emergency. And where ambulances physically can't get (say on a mountain) isn't the injured person airlifted in that instance? So nobody will be left without recieving help.

Small roads and farm entrances are tricky for ambulances for sure, I think the biggest obstacle sometimes being actually finding the lane/house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Oh I omitted that the statement of the ambulance people that they will not attend up here was made again to a reliable third party who will bear witness to that if need be.. Ah well! Over and out!

Maybe they are referring to the a physical ambulance not coming up to you....

Advertisement