Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Ip Camera

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I planning on getting an indoor Ip Camera and putting it on the ceiling in the sitting room.
    I live in a two story house, so my question is, what's the best method to guide the wiring from the sitting room, up through bedroom above, into attic.

I'd like to be able to do it myself cause I'm broke basically, would it be a difficult job?

My main concern is figuring out how to get the wiring through the ceiling in the sitting room up into the bedroom, is there a way of getting the wiring in behind the slabbing on the wall?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Does it matter where in the sitting room it goes? Handiest way would be to go up into the bedroom under the likes of a wardrobe, up through the wardrobe and into the attic.

You need to be careful not to hit any wiring / pipes (even use a finder if you can borrow one)

Alternatively you can go externally, drill a hole in the exterior wall / run a cable through the vent, run it up behind a drain pipe and into the attic at the eaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

thesteve wrote: »
    Does it matter where in the sitting room it goes? Handiest way would be to go up into the bedroom under the likes of a wardrobe, up through the wardrobe and into the attic.

You need to be careful not to hit any wiring / pipes (even use a finder if you can borrow one)

Alternatively you can go externally, drill a hole in the exterior wall / run a cable through the vent, run it up behind a drain pipe and into the attic at the eaves.

The place I'm putting it does matter, cause it'll see all entry points and it'll have the window near it for a better picture, (from the light).

The camera is a POE one, so there's a short RJ45 connect coming from the camera, RJ45 aren't the smallest when it comes to drilling a hole for it.

I'm not sure if the wires are suitable for outside, I'll check with the supplier.

There is a vent close to where I'd like to put it, I might be able to keep the wiring going from the camera hidden, while going into the vent...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

lewis wrote: »
    The camera is a POE one, so there's a short RJ45 connect coming from the camera, RJ45 aren't the smallest when it comes to drilling a hole for it.

You don't drill for the width including the connector, you run the cable only and terminate the cable after it's ran (i.e. put connectors on each end).
    lewis wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the wires are suitable for outside, I'll check with the supplier.

Measure up the cable run and buy external grade cat5/6 - it's not that expensive and will withstand the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Just a couple of points for consideration:
    Why in the ceiling - could you go for a hidden one, perhaps in a PIR motion sensor mounted in the corner? Might look neater and be handier for running cables.
    Could you go wireless? Just need local power then.
    I know you said you are broker - but get a good make, cheaper ones don't tend to last long and the image quality isn't as good.
    Also - if going wired, try a powerline adopter if that would make it easier.

Advertisement