Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin internal wall thermal Insulation solutions?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there,

I’m looking for advice on the best possible solution for insulating my interior walls in my tiny rooms!

I want to thermal insulate, but not encroach too much into my already limited space. I can barely fit a double bed & two lockers!

There is one product I have discovered available in Ireland which I’m not sure I can name here, but it’s a very effective 10mm thermal insulation product bonded onto a 9mm gypsum plaster board. Ideal…however it works out at €32 per sq meter, which is working out quite expensive.

I’m wondering if anyone has any space saving thermal insulation solutions that they have used and are happy with and it a bit less expensive.

P.s I can’t pump / cover the outside walls….

Many thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Usually trade names are discouraged here - however there are only 2 such products matching this description . "Spacetherm" and "Aerogel" .

Not many people would have direct experience ( I don't) of using them .

The insulation part has a lamda value of 0.013 . That may not mean much to you so by comparison

Kingspan / QuinnTherm/Xtratherm - lamda - 0.023 . So the new product is almost twice as effective as these i.e. 10mm "Spacetherm" and "Aerogel" is almost as effective as 20mm Kingspan / QuinnTherm/Xtratherm

Rockwool / Fibreglass - lamda 0.04 - so between - 3 to 4 times better than these .

Space is important . Consider how much the value of your property is in m2 terms ( even in this depressed market ) - not to mention the practicalities you have listed already .

To help decide obtain a cost for

25+13 Kingspan / QuinnTherm/Xtratherm + plasterboard - installed

( U Value 0.71 approx assuming walls are solid brick)

vs

10+9 " Spacetherm" and "Aerogel" + plasterboard - installed

( U Value 0.77 approx assuming walls are solid brick)

vs

20+9 " Spacetherm" and "Aerogel" + plasterboard - installed

( U Value 0.48 approx assuming walls are solid brick)

Labour will cost you the same whatever the material spec - and it will cost more than the materials do .

U Value 0.48 vs .077 or 0.71 - is significant . All things being equal I would opt for this .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are aerogels (not a trade name btw) available that have even better performance. I have no idea if they are cost effective or not, but the best values are lamda values of c. 0.005

I stand corrected - ( and may yet be further corrected )

To the best of my knowledge only Aspen Aerogel ( American product ) is availbale in Ireland .

It is locally named "Spacegel" by one supplier and "Spaceliner" by one other . The lamdba is 0.013 .

I have not encountered better but will be pleased to find out more . :)

- have you seen it in Oz Mellor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dabzarch

I was made aware of this product yesterday...Vacupor by Porextherm. Seems interesting... Vacum insulated panel...

Claims a thermal conductivity of 0.005 W/m K under the DIN 52612 (German) standard. I'm not sure how it stands with IAB/BBA certification.
    According to their website the product comes in 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 mm thickness.

I wouldn't like to be driving nails through it tho! Would be completely useless if compromised. On the downside, i was told the price for the floor insulation is somewhere around €100/m2. Mental!

After all that i don't know who supplies it in Ireland!

That is a diferent type of material Dabzarch . Also new ( to Ireland ) also interesting . I don't beleive this is what the OP is talking about . That is to say I have seen Aerogel laminted to platerboard but not VIP .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cargorlaur

I know this is ages ago....but thanks so much for the replies! I must apologise for not replying at the time...:confused:

Since my post, I have had one room of my house done with regular 60mm insulated plaster board (Xtratherm) as I could afford the room, and I am able to get my gable wall pumped...so I'll be getting that done soon.

But I am still considering my insulation options for my smaller pokey rooms, and yes, you are right it was Aerogel I was referring too! A product called 'Spaceloft'

Anyway, a belated thanks for all the replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

How much is Aerogel/Spaceloft/Spacetherm/Etc. per square metre?

I need to get internal walls insulated and would prefer to lose as little room, preferably in the sitting room, but could live with thicker insulation in other rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JasonC89

sarkozy,

Hi i can help you source the spaceloft aerogel. PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 derrick2014

If you want to see a website where you can buy the panels airgel [snip]

Mod Note: No direct links thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sandman777

If you want to see a website where you can buy the panels airgel [snip]

Mod Note: No direct links thanks.

Hi

Can you PM me the link to this website please?

Thanks
    S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Hi,
    Could you also pm me a link to aerogel website, I have a low ceiling I need to insulate.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

Hi

Can you post me a link to this website also please i have a small garage conversion that could do with improved insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Enda78

Could you also please pm me?

Trying to find a supplier to get these for window reveals (not a lot of space and have seen elsewhere in the threads that they can be got at 18mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shelly2013

Hi there I know this is a while ago can you please PM me the detais to source the spaceloft!? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pilatus09

Hi there,

If anyone above that got the link to aerogel / space loft supplier in Ireland I'd appreciate if they could send it on to me! 👍 Cheers!

Advertisement