Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elec Shower Triton T80si sometimes cools off intermitently

• 26-06-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

To fix it I step back and power it on / off

Does this sound like a thermostat problem? Replace thermostat or should I replace the shower.

Please see pic attached for model.

Model = Triton T80si

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If your tco thermoplastic cut out had blown then the water would be cold all of the time. Its very likely your heating can / elements are caked with limescale. The t80si is a very old shower and not worth spending 150 on a new element supplied and fitted. You'll get a new triton t80z supplied and fitted for around 300

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Would fixing it as op describes indicate lime scale?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote:
    Would fixing it as op describes indicate lime scale?

He's not fixing it. The Tco is doing its job. The heat from the element is transferred to the top of the heating can in the case of heavy limescale. The Tco sits on top of the heating can. So it is because of the extra heat at the top of the heating can that is causing the Tco to kick in. The Tco isn't at fault it is the heating can needs replacing. The Tco either works or doesn't work. There is no in between. If the Tco fails then it will never work again. It is a fuse so to speak. Once blown you'll only get stone cold water till you replace the Tco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks for the advice.

The shower is in an attic and it sometimes stutters slightly.
    There is a good pump down stairs.

I think it may just be age and needs to be replaced.

Do some showers work better in a less pressurised place like upstairs?

My cold/hot taps take a few seconds for water to arrive sometimes as I don't use them much.

It's intermittent.

It only goes freezing cold once a month and power on/off cures it.

Thanks for the advice

I didn't realise that the shower is in the attic. It could easily be a water pressure problem. If the pressure drops then the pressure switch deactivates & stops sending power to the element.
    Does the low flow light come on when the water goes cold? If it does then it's telling you that the water pressure is not good enough to run the shower safely.
    The triton t80z can run at a lower pressure than most showers. Mains electric showers usually don't work great in Ireland as our pressure is very low in a lot of the country.
    Another solution is to pipe it from the tank & put a small pump on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the shower is in the attic. It could easily be a water pressure problem. If the pressure drops then the pressure switch deactivates & stops sending power to the element.
    Does the low flow light come on when the water goes cold? If it does then it's telling you that the water pressure is not good enough to run the shower safely.
    The triton t80z can run at a lower pressure than most showers. Mains electric showers usually don't work great in Ireland as our pressure is very low in a lot of the country.
    Another solution is to pipe it from the tank & put a small pump on it

I notice there is a small "low pressure" warning light on it and it doesn't light up when there is a problem.

If changing it I will take your advice.

Thanks again

Advertisement