Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement Hot Water Cylinder

• 10-05-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We currently have an Austria Email HT 400 ER upright storage tank which began leaking a few weeks ago. The tank is hooked up to solar panels and also has a Neura LW632 heater pump attached to the front flange. Our house was finished build in 2009 and the company that we got to install the Geothermal heating system and who provided the cylinder and heater has since gone bust.

The details of the tank we currently have can be seen here - http://www.austria-email.com/products/upright-tank/upright-tank-ht-ererr/

This company is based in Austria and I have been corresponding with them via email and they have suggested that the flange attached Neura heat pump may be the culprit as a unisolated heat exchanger (heat pump) in combination with an enamelled tank will cause issues but they need to see some pics of inside the tank. They suggested that a 600 Ohm resistor in between the connection of the heat pump and the connection of the tank would solve the problem.

I have also contacted Neura who have said that the heat pump is insulated mounted to the cylinder so there is no need for an extra resistor.

Does anyone know if any suitable replacement tanks that could be used for this setup and if in fact we should go down the route of an enameled tank again or go for stainless steel. Our water is from our own well so I know there may be some repurcusions if we go the stainless steel route and its not filtered sufficiently. I have recently had the water tested and will be introducing filters to reduce some heavy metals.

I have been looking at smoe cylindars that rvr supply like the Immergas INOXTOR 300 but not sure and will hopefully confirm with a plumber if the flange is suitable for the Neura heater to be mounted.

If you need any additional information please let me know and thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

If you are on a well, you should not fit a stainless steel cylinder. Some have been failing on well supplies, the only option that would be covered by a warranty is a copper cylinder, which Grant have for their solar systems, but I dont think they do ones for heat pumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

bazual wrote: »
    Hi All,

We currently have an Austria Email HT 400 ER upright storage tank which began leaking a few weeks ago. The tank is hooked up to solar panels and also has a Neura LW632 heater pump attached to the front flange. Our house was finished build in 2009 and the company that we got to install the Geothermal heating system and who provided the cylinder and heater has since gone bust.

The details of the tank we currently have can be seen here - http://www.austria-email.com/products/upright-tank/upright-tank-ht-ererr/

This company is based in Austria and I have been corresponding with them via email and they have suggested that the flange attached Neura heat pump may be the culprit as a unisolated heat exchanger (heat pump) in combination with an enamelled tank will cause issues but they need to see some pics of inside the tank. They suggested that a 600 Ohm resistor in between the connection of the heat pump and the connection of the tank would solve the problem.

I have also contacted Neura who have said that the heat pump is insulated mounted to the cylinder so there is no need for an extra resistor.

Does anyone know if any suitable replacement tanks that could be used for this setup and if in fact we should go down the route of an enameled tank again or go for stainless steel. Our water is from our own well so I know there may be some repurcusions if we go the stainless steel route and its not filtered sufficiently. I have recently had the water tested and will be introducing filters to reduce some heavy metals.

I have been looking at smoe cylindars that rvr supply like the Immergas INOXTOR 300 but not sure and will hopefully confirm with a plumber if the flange is suitable for the Neura heater to be mounted.

If you need any additional information please let me know and thanks for any help.

Is it just leaking from the flange where the heat pump is attached? I've seen a few of these leak with the neura and got replacement gasket kits which solved the prob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Thanks for the advice folks.

I have been advised from various sources that the current enameled tank is really not suitable and stainless steel is the way to go as long as water is filtered and is under the levels of the requirements of the warranty for the cylinder.

In relation to the leak the water is currently built up to the top of the cylinder and is pretty much coming out of every orifice. We had thought the leak was at the top since it was trickling down in streams but after removing some of the insulation to determine where it was it just keeps getting deeper down the left side of the tank and we are about a foot and a half down now. Realistically we would have to drain and take apart to really figure out where it is.

The main issues appears to be that the Neura heat pump LW632 attached to the front flange of the tank has odd connections and is not suitable on standard flanges. It appears either the company built the tank to suit the heat pump or the heat pump was designed for the tank, either way its not straight forward to get a replacement cylinder. We can get the exact same one from the manufacturer but have been advised to not go for enameled with the electrical anode and even the manufacturer advised they have had issues with this model heat pump attached to their tank and advised not to go for the same again. Alternative options would be a custom built tank to suit the heat pump but again this would cost a fortune.

Currently still looking at the drawing board trying to figure out something and getting some great help from people but frustrating at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Could it be better to separate the two of them ? ( $$$$ though )

sorta like :

http://www.neura.at/fileadmin/user_upload/opinion_images/Fam.D_Warmwasser_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

gctest50 wrote: »
    Could it be better to separate the two of them ? ( $$$$ though )

sorta like :

http://www.neura.at/fileadmin/user_upload/opinion_images/Fam.D_Warmwasser_02.jpg

They are already separated, that pic shows two different heat pumps, the white tank on the right is the problem one,
    New tank from neura is €900 plus delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Tommyboy08 wrote: »
    They are already separated, that pic shows two different heat pumps, the white tank on the right is the problem one,
    New tank from neura is €900 plus delivery

Thats right Tommy, I have been emailing Neura and they advised to contact a person regarding a tank but I have not been able to get hold of them. Do you have an alternative contact for someone to get a water cylinder that would be suitable for the heat pump.

Thanks,
    B

Advertisement