Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cost to build a new house.

Options
  • 20-06-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

We are thinking of buying a site to build a house. We are looking for a rough cost of how much it would be. Site costs €55000. We are told it needs piles to be put in to it to build. Can somebody please give me a price for a 2000 square feet house.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We are thinking of buying a site to build a house. We are looking for a rough cost of how much it would be. Site costs €55000. We are told it needs piles to be put in to it to build. Can somebody please give me a price for a 2000 square feet house.
    Many thanks.

A builder put up a 2000 sq ft house for me back in 2008 for 180 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Did you have to get piles into to build on.
    What did you get. 3/4 bed. Or more. Large kitchen.?

Did you have to get piles into to build on.
    What did you get. 3/4 bed. Or more. Large kitchen.?

Price included 18 loads of chips to rise the site up.

Raft was 35 k.

4 bed with bathroom upstairs and down stairs and 2 rooms ensuite plus conservatrory

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Price included 18 loads of chips to rise the site up.

Raft was 35 k.

4 bed with bathroom upstairs and down stairs and 2 rooms ensuite plus conservatrory

What's raft?

What's raft?

The foundation for the house, expensive because of the amount of cement needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Read the thread top of page! Lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Read the thread top of page! Lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Many thanks.

What part of the country are you looking at ? In Galway it's currently around €220k, whilst in Wicklow that might be €290k.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 36 djjdomahony

In west cork and have a site. How much do you reckon for a nice 3/4 bedroom? With good energy rating and sun room?

well guys any ballpark figures?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

€400k

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    €400k

€750k

BryanF wrote: »
    €400k
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    €750k

LOL - I see what you did there: here's a quote though : :)

http://youtu.be/l91ISfcuzDw

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

€200k

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annmc88

A planner told me 80 euro per square meter to block and tile it ... After that it's all down to personal preference ... It's bit like asking how many litres of water in the ocean.

Work out what you want in your 2000 sqft and then you can price it more accurately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Annmc88 wrote: »
    A planner told me 80 euro per square meter to block and tile it ... After that it's all down to personal preference ... It's bit like asking how many litres of water in the ocean.

Work out what you want in your 2000 sqft and then you can price it more accurately

I'm guessing you mean 80 per square foot? I'm building in Cork and it's working out about 115 euro per square foot and we started before March 14. That includes architects fees, development contributions and solicitor. Windows are UPVC, air to water and underfloor heating. I would think it would be very difficult to get to 80 euro.

the comedians have arrived...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In west cork and have a site. How much do you reckon for a nice 3/4 bedroom? With good energy rating and sun room?
    It's bit like asking how many litres of water in the ocean.
    the comedians have arrived...
    silly questions get:
    answers

on a serious note, all those who offer self build answers are out of touch with the new building control / assigned certifier / main contractor associated costs

what do you mean by that bryan? are you saying that building a house yourself is a lot tougher with new controls and greater costs?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what do you mean by that bryan? are you saying that building a house yourself is a lot tougher with new controls and greater costs?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91076486#post91076486

some light reading

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

tougher is not the word i would use. more like an impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minty01

Hi Folks,

I'm in a similar situation, looking to build a 3/4 bedroom dormer bungalow in Kildare. Already have the site but I'm still debating is it really worth building. Building costs appear to be on the up yet again. We had initially planned to do the vast majority of the work by direct labour but the new construction regulations which came into affect from March 1st may well rule out that plan.

Any idea what standard price per sq meter is for building in Kildare?

minty01 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm in a similar situation, looking to build a 3/4 bedroom dormer bungalow in Kildare. Already have the site but I'm still debating is it really worth building. Building costs appear to be on the up yet again. We had initially planned to do the vast majority of the work by direct labour but the new construction regulations which came into affect from March 1st may well rule out that plan.

Any idea what standard price per sq meter is for building in Kildare?

I'll have a go: €1300 per m2 or over.

True, it is cheaper to buy right now, rather than build.

But the problem is the quality of what you can buy, and/or the efficiency of it. Depends on what matters to you.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minty01

Thanks galwaytt.

That's round about what I have heard the going price is. Unfortunately I just don't know if my budget can stretch that far at this moment in time.

The houses in the area I have been looking at are fine by most standards but just not to the finish I want. I suppose the main reason I preferred to build at home on the farm is that I keep horses and buying a house miles away I feel would just be impractical for me. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Speak to a Quantity Surveyor

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

minty01 wrote: »
    Thanks galwaytt.

That's round about what I have heard the going price is. Unfortunately I just don't know if my budget can stretch that far at this moment in time.

The houses in the area I have been looking at are fine by most standards but just not to the finish I want. I suppose the main reason I preferred to build at home on the farm is that I keep horses and buying a house miles away I feel would just be impractical for me. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board...:(

if you hire a QS to go over the plans he can prepare a schedule of rates that s/he would expect the house to come in at.

s/he can also advise on cost savings based on the drawings and even come up with solutions to make the budget stretch to its maximum. i.e maybe just plaster the walls upstairs for now as that is the most expensive, most arduous works to be done at building stage, you can paint the walls, put down skirting etc in years to come when you actually need the room to use- just a small example of what us quantity surveyors can provide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

markqs wrote: »
    if you hire a QS to go over the plans he can prepare a schedule of rates that s/he would expect the house to come in at.

s/he can also advise on cost savings based on the drawings and even come up with solutions to make the budget stretch to its maximum. i.e maybe just plaster the walls upstairs for now as that is the most expensive, most arduous works to be done at building stage, you can paint the walls, put down skirting etc in years to come when you actually need the room to use- just a small example of what us quantity surveyors can provide

Sometimes you need a professional to pick out the little details for you. Like that this thread is a year old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

kceire wrote: »
    Sometimes you need a professional to pick out the little details for you. Like that this thread is a year old :)

and here comes the clever ones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

markqs wrote: »
    and here comes the clever ones

Jesus, did you forget to carry the 1?
    Can't take a light hearted joke, there was even a smiley face, who gets angry with smiley faces?????

Here's one to brighten up your evening :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement