Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 year masters worthwhile?

• 17-08-2014 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A question regarding post grad qualifications.

I was looking into Cranfield university in the UK in particular their one year masters programs to add on to a level 8 mechanical engineering degree from Cit here in Cork.

Is a masters a worthwhile pursuit or is it a waste of a year when compared to a years experience working in the industry.

I'd eventually like a job in Ireland as I've a young family.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

First of all, Make sure if you're going to spend the money and time on it that it will either bring you to level 9 or that it's cheap enough for it not to matter to you.

Then it's a question of whether a years' salary now is worth more to you than the projected extra earnings per year (I have no clue what this would be!) - or even if you can get your hands on a years' salary. If you don't have/can't find work then it's definitely worth considering being in education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

There isn't a straight answer. For a new grad, employers will value work experience over a masters. For someone with experience, a targeted masters might be worth more.

Regardless, it's pointless doing a masters just for the sake of doing it. You need a genuine interest in the subject and/or a clearly-defined plan for how it will help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Personally I think that it would be better for a new graduate to get some relevant experience first and decide on pursuing a MSc if they still have an interest after a few years doing a particular role as it will give them exposure to what other opportunities there are.

From personal experience I worked for a few years and returned to do a MSc in Electrical engineering and studied in a UK university. I found that having experience benefited me both from an experience level but also from a work ethic perspective. It payed off too as I am in a good career earning good money. Care needs to be taken to ensure that the university is accredited by the IET or IMechE.

Advertisement