Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempt marks Applied Maths

Options
  • 25-07-2014 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have finished 2nd year in mechanical engineering and have failed nine out of ten subjects. This was due to a number of factors during the year, though mostly because of depression and social anxiety. When I got my results about a month ago, I thought there was no point in trying to study basically one year's work by myself in a little over a month, especially after missing most of the lectures (not because of laziness, because of illness). I decided that maybe it's not too late to still pass (my exams are in 11 days) if I am able to just learn the basics of each subject and scrape a 40% in each. For two of my subjects (applied maths I and applied maths II) I have no idea where to even start. Here are the exams that I did, I couldn't see an "attach file" thing here on boards, so I made a facebook page, but you need to add a "." after the www in the url, and if you view the pictures in fullscreen you can read them fine: wwwfacebook.com/profile.php?id=100005584907623
    Can someone just give me some advice on how to pass these, like what would I write for the attempt marks? Some examples would be amazing, the more information the better but any will help a lot. This is literally my last chance for a life. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

Oh, and you have to go in "photos" on the facebook page, not the profile pictures, but you all probably already know that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not your last chance of life for a start. Failing an exam, or exams, is annoying but no more.

A friend of mine did badly in her second year in college (similar to yourself she failed most of her subjects) and had to repeat the whole thing. She's now finished her PhD and is working in R&D in a pretty good company.

I think it'd be best to talk to someone about re doing the whole year.

For what you want to do now it's get your hands on past exam papers and see if there are types of questions that repeat and concentrate on them.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's not your last chance of life for a start. Failing an exam, or exams, is annoying but no more.

A friend of mine did badly in her second year in college (similar to yourself she failed most of her subjects) and had to repeat the whole thing. She's now finished her PhD and is working in R&D in a pretty good company.

I think it'd be best to talk to someone about re doing the whole year.

For what you want to do now it's get your hands on past exam papers and see if there are types of questions that repeat and concentrate on them.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, but I really don't need any advice on that sort of stuff. I've spoken to dozens of people about it already. I can't repeat the year, I've talked to many people that work in the college and none of them could help, they all said I was on my own. I gave a link to the exam papers in the post, that was my question in the first place, I have no idea how to approach any of the questions, even the ones that repeat each year, I just want to know where the attempt marks come from in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Honestly, I don't think second year it's going to go very well without learning anything. I found second year mech to be considerably more difficult than first. But third easier..

I presume you are unwilling or unable to repeat due to financial reasons but I just don't think you can learn enough quickly enough. Maybe concentrate on three or four subjects to pass them so you have less to repeat next year allowing you extra hours to work part time.

Learn the basic rules of differentiation and integration, and what they mean.
    Learn simultaneous equations and some trig. Mostly though, as said, Pick trends in the exams. Go find say 4 examples that repeat a lot and post them here. I don't have Facebook and cannot see your link.

And list your subjects here too. I'll advise which you may be able to panic learn.

mawk wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think second year it's going to go very well without learning anything. I found second year mech to be considerably more difficult than first. But third easier..

I presume you are unwilling or unable to repeat due to financial reasons but I just don't think you can learn enough quickly enough. Maybe concentrate on three or four subjects to pass them so you have less to repeat next year allowing you extra hours to work part time.

Learn the basic rules of differentiation and integration, and what they mean.
    Learn simultaneous equations and some trig. Mostly though, as said, Pick trends in the exams. Go find say 4 examples that repeat a lot and post them here. I don't have Facebook and cannot see your link.

And list your subjects here too. I'll advise which you may be able to panic learn.

Thanks for the reply. The exams I'm repeating for are the second year exams, I'm going into third year. The applied maths exams are new to my college so there are no past papers to go on. My subjects are: Fundamentals of operations engineering, strength of materials, electrical circuits and systems, electrical instrumentation and sensors, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, engineering ethics, engineering design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I would not be too worried about past exam papers. Having the material to study is huge. Also good to pick up marks with continual assessment's in the modules during the year and lab marks can bring up a poor written exam.
    Honestly when it comes to Engineering exams it is either right or wrong. A small amount for attempt marks. This is what I found when studying Mechanical Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

That is a lot of exams to repeat. I would possibly look at repeating the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Honestly when it comes to Engineering exams it is either right or wrong. A small amount for attempt marks. This is what I found when studying Mechanical Engineering.

I'd have thought the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, but I really don't need any advice on that sort of stuff. I've spoken to dozens of people about it already. I can't repeat the year, I've talked to many people that work in the college and none of them could help, they all said I was on my own. I gave a link to the exam papers in the post, that was my question in the first place, I have no idea how to approach any of the questions, even the ones that repeat each year, I just want to know where the attempt marks come from in them.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to repeat the year. Even if you did managed to cram enough to get some marks, it probably wouldn't be enough, and there's a chance it could make you ill again - no exam is worth that.

Most colleges and student unions have strong support services to help you plead your case, and should be very sympathetic. It's important you formally apply for this before the repeats, makes a stronger case.

And if you do fail, it's just a course, not the end of the world - really. I've friends who had similar experiences, and they've all gone on to have happy lives and careers. Good luck.

Advertisement