Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building washbin bass, need advice

Options
  • 06-07-2006 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi y'all...
    would anyone know where in cork i could find a large metal bucket/washbasin type thing? it would preferably want to be about 30-40cm deep and 50-60cm in diameter and made of metal (for that authentic look!).
    i want to build a gut-bass for playing some bluegrass tunes with some mates, think 'oh brother where art thou' kinda stuff, and this is proving really hard to find.
    i've tried most hardware/homeware places in town and no sign of one anywhere so if any of you kind people might of seen one (or even if you have one cluttering up the shed and want rid of it) i'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

much thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Try some vets/animal supplies places. Failing that, get on to Barrys Tea down your way and see if they have any tea chests they can give you, it'll do pretty much the same thing.

teachest-bass.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A tea chest is probably a better idea, you'll get more sound out of the wood. I've always wanted to build a washtub bass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeyC

fish-head wrote:
    I've always wanted to build a washtub bass..

yeah, i'd often though about it. usually after seeing someone use one. then a buddy suggested it for his bluegrass project and i thought, hey, why not just do it.

as for the tea chests... it would probably be easier but i've got this idea in my head about standing there with my foot on the big ol' lump of metal. should grab one to get started though, suppose i can always keep looking for that elusive washtub.

Advertisement