Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHF, television issues.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

It is probably a bog standard Freeview set, so no MPEG4 and no Saorview, although these sets sometimes have sound. A Saorview/Freeview HD box would give you a picture from the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

OKay, so heres the gist of it:

I have a UHF aerial on top of the camper which hooks up to a 12v Power source (car battery) and an amplifier, which then is hooked up to a tv via coax.

The only issue is that the tv can pick up the channels (and plays radio channels) but displays neither audio or visual. It says "video type not supported", despite the tv claiming to be able to pick up freeview channels and such (which I would assume means its Mpeg-4 compatible)

I was wondering if I got a freeview box and had the coax linked to that, then a scart/hdmi hooked into the tv, if it would work? As the Free sat box would work as a decoder? Thanks for the help, sorry I'm fairly newb with the UHF/satellite area.

(eghttp://www.ebay.ie/itm/Revez-HDT300-Full-HD-Digital-Terrestrial-Set-Top-Box-Receiver-for-Saorview-TV-/151266718239?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item233832f21f)

The item in the link has Fully MPEG2 / H.264 Compliant in its specs :confused: Saorview uses MPEG4. The specifications listed make it not Saorview compatible contrary to what the product description says.

If using a set-top box or TV with built in decoder it must have MPEG4 for channel reception and MHEG5 for text and full program listing display.

Beware, there is lots of stuff on the UK market which does not have MPEG4 decoding functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Since it is an irish company selling it I would have thought that mentioning mpeg2 meant it also had mpeg2 and did not rule out mpeg4

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

The motorhome I bought already had the UHF aerial and booster so I picked up one of these boxes on ebay and used an old 22" LCD from the house.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Saorview-Box-LED-Display-Full-HD-1080P-/151319251605?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item233b548a95

The box can receive the saorview channels in HD and also play & record to a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Justice 4

Bought the Yousat Mini box, thought no problem. Home, plugged it all in, init screen came up, did the country, then multi scan. supposed to automatically load channels.

no, choose transponders first.... then the infra red cable is no longer showing red and the screen says no signal. changed the batteries in the remote...Two questions - one concerning the infra red - what is going on here? the youstat unit gets hot at the power connection cable...

two, if the installation guide says search start and intimates that the channels come streaming in, and there is no such instruction on my screen, just multi channel search which then says choose transponders first, what do i do next? (I did insert astra 2a and 28.0w and it accepted that but no channels were installed)

the instructions are 101 pages designed to scare you off, and up to now i considered myself not a technohead but not a techno nerd either. any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

If you're connecting that box to a satellite dish, make sure the dish is pointing at the right satellite

If you're connecting to an aerial you'll get nothing

Advertisement