Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What technologies do you use as a professional developer?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

So by that I mean, platforms, build tools, test tools, language(s) continuous integration and also do you do server side development, client side development, web development etc....

For me I work exclusively on Linux, Redhat to be specific, do only server side development and lots of automated integration testing powered by Jenkins. Languages include C++, C, Python and Bash on the core product and Java powered integration testing. Really interesting stuff, absolute huge product, very complex still know little in the grand scheme of things and there's more to the product that I don't work on (SQL and Java is worked on in the core product too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭jmcc

On Linux, joe (text editor), Tcl, C, bash, some Perl, Python and a pile of paper notepads with details of why I added particular lines into 27K line SQL scripts.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rokas456

I personally use Javascript, PHP, HTML5, CCS3, SQL, are the cores of web. Learn to use Wordpress and Weebly. They are very good content management systems(CMS). JAVA is handy but not necessary. Photoshop is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Current Stack...
    Oracle DB
    Erwin Data modeller
    Google's flyway (automate drop/create/insert SQL)
    Eclipse IDE on Windows 7.
    Cygwin emulator for my Unix shell fix
    Java, Spring, JPA(Hibernate as implementation), JSF
    JUnit test
    Maven build tool to pull it all together.
    Svn version control, nightly integration build with jenkins and sonar reporting.
    Deployment to Tomcat6 on Red Hat 6.

Previous role..
    Postgres DB
    StarUML
    bash db build scripts
    C++ with KDevelop IDE / VIM on Ubuntu Desktop
    Cxxtest, PHP, Joomla
    makefiles to pull all that together
    cvs version control.
    Deployment to FreeBSD 6 Apache Webserver

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭partyboy690

jmcc wrote: »
    On Linux, joe (text editor), Tcl, C, bash, some Perl, Python and a pile of paper notepads with details of why I added particular lines into 27K line SQL scripts.

Regards...jmcc
    Is Joe a good text editor? unfortunately in the environment I work in the only real viable option is VIM and while VIM is really powerful and flexible it can be a pain to navigate the various function calls between source files.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

while VIM is really powerful and flexible it can be a pain to navigate the various function calls between source files.
    How is ctrl-] and ctrl-T painful to jump between call and definition?
    Or do you have vim and not have ctags (which is a downright broken installation really).

• Advertisement

That's all well and good if you have root access and you can install and do what you want with your installation, unfortunately we can't touch machines because we use distributed build servers.

(a) That's what sysadmins are for and (b) install it in your homedir if you have to, it won't impact the system as a whole or the code you're writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Oracle
    Java
    Perl
    Bash
    Groovy
    Python
    SVN
    JBoss
    Tomcat
    SAP BusinessObjects
    SSH (full understanding of which is more complex than you think)
    and after that a "full" understanding of a shedload of protocols
    Eclipse && Vim would be my preferred editors

I enjoy time spent in Perl and Bash most, but I'm gradually growing to accept Java as it matures into a usable technology ;)

You've obviously never worked with an American megacorporation ;) trust me working with ctags and our setup is a pain in the bloody ass, we have our own bespoke setup that doesn't play well with ctags, it's so unbelievably convoluted. I wish editing my .vimrc was easy but it's not, trust me it's absolutely painful, beaurocracy at its finest.

You've obviously never worked with an American megacorporation ;)
    My day job is working on the DB2 kernel for IBM.
    Using vim. And ctags. :P

BTW, apropos of nothing but just because it made me laugh, http://vim.sexy/

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Using vim. And ctags. :P

BTW, apropos of nothing but just because it made me laugh, http://vim.sexy/
    Well fair enough then you do know how American megacorporations can be :P I can't figure out our setup, it's just so convoluted it's beyond words, even the simple tasks can be painful, we're using Redhat 4 for godsake :(

Out of curiousity what is your night job? hahaha saving the universe from overpriced Oracle databases ;)

You think redhat's bad? Try Suse sometime, and no 11.x series or anything fancy for you :D SLAs and Legacy systems can be a royal pain at times...

And the night job is easy to describe:

733339187.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭jmcc

Is Joe a good text editor? unfortunately in the environment I work in the only real viable option is VIM and while VIM is really powerful and flexible it can be a pain to navigate the various function calls between source files.
    It is not a fancy kind of editor and it is nowhere near the kind of power of Emacs but it is very simple to use. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe%27s_Own_Editor

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Xcode
    Xctool
    Reveal (this is what firebug is to web dev but for iOS development, you need this in your life if you're developing iOS apps)
    Cocoapods
    Vim
    Team city
    You track
    Git
    Objectify
    Pixelmator
    Balsamiq
    Base camp
    Slack
    Quartz composer
    Iterm + ohmyzh

Is there any website online that consists of clients looking for freelance web designers/developers. And them posting the jobs and the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

rokas456 wrote: »
    Is there any website online that consists of clients looking for freelance web designers/developers. And them posting the jobs and the requirements?

Sure but you will be competing for work with extremely cheap outsourced labour in India or Asia. I don't think the amounts are enough for a western country.

You think redhat's bad? Try Suse sometime, and no 11.x series or anything fancy for you :D SLAs and Legacy systems can be a royal pain at times...

And the night job is easy to describe:

733339187.jpg
    I'd argue the night job is a lot tougher than working with legacy Unix systems :p we can use VM's powered by our own custom version of Redhat but I've never actually gotten that to fully install, we'd be able to mount our workspaces through NFS and use it that way but alas it's a pipe dream. I really like the resources I get at work, I have unlimited resources at my disposal(within reason but I can get everything I need) but tying those resources together is not easy when beaurocratic red tape holds everything back :p

If it wasn't for the red tape, I'd mention vagrant and ansible...
    (and yes, the night job is tougher at times :D You think crunch times are hard as a developer and then you have a kid and realise that you had it easy...)

haha I can imagine, you can quit your job. Not so easy to quit a baby :P

Longest shift done as a developer during a crunch time for me was about 31 hours or so. Longest shift done as a daddy... well, so far it's been two years since I last had a full night's sleep... :D

• Advertisement

Longest shift done as a developer during a crunch time for me was about 31 hours or so. Longest shift done as a daddy... well, so far it's been two years since I last had a full night's sleep... :D
    Jesus that's an unhealthy amount of work to be doing, 31 hours straight? :confused: thought I had it bad when I had to come in for a weekend :D longest shift I've done was 9 to 7 and that was only because I was working on a bug that needed to be fixed pronto. I had an opportunity with IBM Cork as well, glad I didn't take it, sounds like slave labour ;) although I'd imagine they're a decent company to work for like all big American companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Jesus that's an unhealthy amount of work to be doing, 31 hours straight? :

Its also completely pointless, you lose any real cognitive ability well before 31 hours without sleep.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Its also completely pointless, you lose any real cognitive ability well before 31 hours without sleep.
    Yup, wouldn't have been my choice either, and I was starting to see things crawling up the walls out of the corner of my eyes at that stage. But we were in a pretty dire crunch spot trying to get a demo out the door for Mobile World Congress and I was the tech lead at the time so I didn't have much of a choice. (We did get the demo out in the end).

Yup, wouldn't have been my choice either, and I was starting to see things crawling up the walls out of the corner of my eyes at that stage. But we were in a pretty dire crunch spot trying to get a demo out the door for Mobile World Congress and I was the tech lead at the time so I didn't have much of a choice. (We did get the demo out in the end).
    I hope you got a massive bonus for that :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Using vim. And ctags. :P....

Mulhuddart? I worked on the WebSphere Commerce team for some time in support.

Itzy wrote: »
    Mulhuddart? I worked on the WebSphere Commerce team for some time in support.

Yup, though I don't have much contact with the websphere folk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In my time there, we conducted more business with the WAS and RAD team than anything else. Any DB2 issues that sprung up on our queue was immediately redirected and that was the height of our interaction with DB2 sadly. Anyway, I could be making a move back to IBM, Galway again as a Developer pending an interview process.

Would you any of such sites, iam just looking to build up my part folio :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We use whatever we want. I use gedit for python, and xml. eclipse for android. OS is Ubuntu.
    Use vi when I have to, which is painful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fedora, Python, Pylons or Flask (migrating our apps at the moment to Flask), Backbone.js, Oracle databases (for my sins), Lettuce, Selenium and nosetests for testing, most editing done in Sublime Text 2.

Advertisement