Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting Texas A&M University

• 13-08-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Yet another college shooting in the US.

http://news.sky.com/story/972146/police-shot-in-us-college-gun-attacks

Police are among a number of people who have been shot on a United States college campus, prompting the arrest of one man.

Texas A&M University says the man suspected of carrying out the attacks has been taken into custody near its campus in College Station.
    The university issued a warning on its website just before 12.30pm local time on Monday, warning of an active shooter near the campus football stadium, Kyle Field. Residents and students were advised to avoid the area.

College Station lies about 90 miles northwest of Houston.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

WTF is with some peolpe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is there a full moon over there every night or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

1 civilian dead 1 injured 2 cops injured

shooter is in custody.

Nothing to do with University as they are closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Im in no doubt that if all the student population was armed with M16s this wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Im in no doubt that if all the student population was armed with M16s this wouldn't have happened.

Probably would. If the university was closed they probably werent there, guns or no guns.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is there a full moon over there every night or something?

Sad. Another month - another campus shooting it near seems at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm thinking if things keep going like this, how long will it be before we get a thread with a title:

'no mass shooting sprees in USA today!'

Seriously, this shíts becoming way to common over there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Probably would. If the university was closed they probably werent there, guns or no guns.

Today would be the day that Freshman start moving into Dorms in most US colleges.
    This week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Madsl in 3... 2..... 1..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

in before RTDH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Saw this linked on Reddit after the Aurora shootings (most relevant from 1:40):

This is the second shooting I'm aware of since Aurora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Should probably just merge this with the Times Square shooting thread- always boils down to a 'damn Yanks and their guns' rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

I should point out I was being dead pan ironic (didn't even think about if anyone was at "school" in August to be honest!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sorry I'm late folks, seems I was expected. :D

Just watched the Charlie Brooker vid. Very thought provoking; I remember a Polish guy threw himself off the apartment building I lived in. Horrible case where the building wasn't high enough and he survived only to die in hospital.

Anyway, it went entirely unreported, due to what I believe is an Irish media arrangement not to cover suicide. CB's point about stopping this rubbernecking masquerading as an outpouring of grief and outrage I think is very valid. People die every single day, and one of the biggest causes in the US is medical error. Now we see no protests at hospitals or piles of flowers for the dead. Yet medical error kills 195,000 Americans a year. That is 500 a day! Yet 9 or 10 or whatever the latest body count is die through gunfire and we get three days of 24/7 coverage.

Doubtless this will turn into a gun control debate and an American bashing thread, but I like the thinking of just ignoring these nutters and not giving them their 15 minutes.

As to mike65's comment - I will say that once again this happened in a public "no gun" area. Do you notice the pattern yet? A&M students just recently narrowly lost a vote to allow concealed carry on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

3,000 a month die in road accidents in the US.

It's a big country.

Advertisement