Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corpse reflection

• 13-08-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭

What's the story with covering mirrors with a corpse in the room? Usually seen at wakes. Why?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He's not supposed to see his own reflection! He doesn't know he's a priest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Neeson wrote: »
    What's the story with covering mirrors with a corpse in the room? Usually seen at wakes. Why?

Was I the only one who read this as "covering mirrors with a corpse", and was completely horrified? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nobody wants to see themselves in that state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's probably some mystical/spiritual bull**** too but i'd imagine a lot of it is people just dont want to see the state of themselves when they're busy bawling away all day over the loss of a loved one

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Stopping clocks and covering mirrors is a way to prevent the soul getting trapped and the house becoming haunted.

Was an old superstition way back, not seen much anymore outside a handful of rural localities.

edit; oh yeah, opening a window to let the soul escape is a must too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

nor sure what you mean, but if you put a small mirror up to the nose you can see if the body or corpse is still breathing.

I remember if someone died on the road when I was young we were forbidden to play football or make any kind of noise.
    it used to be the norm to close businesses and draw the curtains along the funeral route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Was I the only one who read this as "covering mirrors with a corpse", and was completely horrified? :o

No, I read it as covering corpses with mirrors. I was a bit confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Some people remove all photos from the room as well, it's a bit nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Embalming fluid is very corrosive to glass. You should also go out the same door you came in at a wake or Big Tom will start. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Both of my Grandmother and Grandfather were waked at home, we removed all the pictures from the walls like paintings and photos. There was no superstition about us doing it other than we didnt want to have any distractions if you get what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Archeron

Great name for a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Where To wrote: »
    Embalming fluid is very corrosive to glass. You should also go out the same door you came in at a wake or Big Tom will start. . .

Wtf do you find these things? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

1ZRed wrote: »
    Wtf do you find these things? :D
    Googletube mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...and after the funeral, you're meant to take an unusual route home in case their spirit would try to return home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

my grandmother always said it was because funerals/wakes weren't times for vanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

sam34 wrote: »
    my grandmother always said it was because funerals/wakes weren't times for vanity.

Yeah, but sure then you'd have to cover all mirrors in the house. What about other reflective surfaces such as a tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yeah, but sure then you'd have to cover all mirrors in the house. What about other reflective surfaces such as a tv.

We didn't have televisions back in my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we did cover all the mirrors in the house when my grandfather died. and she (grandmother) wouldn't allow us watch tv or listen to the radio til after he was buried. (this was back before we had computers but I'm sure they'd have been banned too if we had them).

and my grandfather's body wasn't in the house with us, but she still insisted on those actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

From the thread title, I had an image of a corpse assuming this position:

http://www.starlight-tower.com/images/starlight_tower/The_Thinker_Rodin-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

At my nephews funeral about 2 years ago we found that after the funeral director had left the coffin opened, my nephews corpse could be seen by kids halfway up the stairs!!

Total fluke as to where the mirrors in the house where, we removed the mirror in the room where he was laid out to solve.

Maybe thats the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

A few reasons and yes they may be seen as superstitious mumbo jumbo.

1) So that the soul which may be still there near the body and not departed doesn't get trapped in the mirror,

2)So the recently departed doesn't see that they are dead and become enraged/confused and end up haunting the house and not move on.

3) that is the soul has departed spirits/demons/entities don't use the mirrors as portals to this plane of existence and try and possess the body.

This sort of stuff was why the term 'Irish' Catholics gets used, a veneer of christianity was put on what people believed and many of the old superstitions just never died out.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

As far as I know, it's so the bereaved don't have to be concerned about their appearance at such a difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

naysayer wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's so the bereaved don't have to be concerned about their appearance at such a difficult time.

Surely people couldn't care less how they look when someone dies. They're not meant to be looking great and are usually not in the best form of their lives.

Advertisement