Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last Day Of School

• 12-08-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

After 13/14 years in school the day you walk out of class for the last time is a pretty special moment in your life and probably the first time you really feel grown up. It's 20 years since I finished school and if I remember right most schools gave you a half day and if they didin't you went on the hop anyhow.

I celebrated my last day of school by drinking cans in the local park with half of my year, going home on the bus for dinner and a snooze, going back to the school for some maas thing then going on the piss in the park again. I also 'scored' a chick that I had been chasing for all of my five years in secondary school that night so it was a pretty good day!

How did you celebrate your last day of school and how long ago was it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Mine was in June. Went to the pub at lunchtime, all came back half-cut for mass. Was great to see half the year singing 'I the Lord of Sea and Sky' while swaying.

Didn't really do much on the night. Went to a snooker club for a few hours, had a few drinks. I was expecting it to be a bigger deal, but we had to get straight into exam revision (well, other people did. I was lazy), so there wasn't really time to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Didn't go to any class. Just hung around and had the craic with the teachers. There were all dead on. Went home at 1 and came back in at 6ish in shirts and ties for some stupid mass thing which we all had to sing at. Was in an all lads school so that was..... interesting. Then went to pub and had pints with the teachers before going clubbing

Actully it was really good to see the teachers out drinking with us before we left school. It is ammazing how different they are outside of the school enviroment. Remember doing shots with my english teacher and the art teacher. Was a class night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

No more latin, no more french, no more sitting on a hard old bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

We hung out in the library/computer lab (which was empty except for us, so we had the craic) for the entire day. Literally three quarters of the year were there. Went off home at lunchtime and got ourselves ready for the ceremony/mass yoke and then went out for a meal and house party that night with the gang. Good times.

My english teacher made us come in at 2pm the next day for bumper revision session, 6 of us showed up(I loved the subject, hence my dedication). Place STUNK of booze fumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Well. I robbed the remote from the science teacher during class, I switched on the projector and he was on redtube. :D

It was the first time I smoked weed. That was fun. Myself and a female mate then went down the field by the secondary school with a bottle of vodka. we got very drunk and we "did it" in a farmers hay shed, which was in the field beside the school. I just turned 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Tied my school tie to the school gates, lit it, strolled off and never looked back.
    I was too cool for school, a rebel without a cause.

Now I tell my kids to study hard, pay attention in class, partake in sports.
    There's way more competition now for kids, they all have to work hard now to have any chance of getting on in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    After 13/14 years in school the day you walk out of class for the last time is a pretty special moment in your life and probably the first time you really feel grown up.

It wasn't special at all..why would it? Another few years of education after it. First time you feel grown up varies I suppose: first shag, first car, first wage packet, first funeral of someone you care about. Last day of school I can't remember because it was long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

LoYL wrote: »
    It wasn't special at all..why would it? Another few years of education after it. First time you feel grown up varies I suppose: first shag, first car, first wage packet, first funeral of someone you care about. Last day of school I can't remember because it was long ago.

Can you remember your first Buzz Killington post?

Can you remember your first Buzz Killington post?

You asked. I posted. Big deal. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Mine was just in june we had a laugh the whole day water balloons and all that teacher pretty much let us have our fun :) Then we had a mass that night went the the local pub with few teachers. One of the soundier teachers even ended up at the house party later on that night :P It was some night to remember. Can't believe when I pick up my results wednesday morning I'll never be going back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mine was 16 years ago and it was tradition to have a big free-for-all water-shavingfoam fight on the last day. My year the teachers decided it wasn't happening so at 3.25pm on the second last day it was announced over the intercom that we'd just had our last day and don't bother coming in tomorrow. So it was seriously anticlimax. But it sort of is anyway, as you graduate two weeks ahead of the Leaving Cert. It's not the easiest to have a blow out about school ending when you have a month of study and exams ahead of you. I think it would be nicer to have the graduation night at the end of June, once the last exam has been sat. That way you can really feel free of it.

Princessxx wrote: »
    Mine was just in june we had a laugh the whole day water balloons and all that teacher pretty much let us have our fun :) Then we had a mass that night went the the local pub with few teachers. One of the soundier teachers even ended up at the house party later on that night :P It was some night to remember. Can't believe when I pick up my results wednesday morning I'll never be going back :D

Good luck Princessxx! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

LoYL wrote: »
    You asked. I posted. Big deal. :confused:

Did you not even do anything fun on the last day of school?

10 years of school, shrug
    didnt do anything mad
    certainly wasnt an adult anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It was a beautiful summer's day, a Wednesday. I left the gym where my last exam took place and looked towards the gate, thinking "that's it, that's 13 years of prison over, I'm free at last, no teachers, no more schoolyard bullsh1t, no more uniforms, no more homework. I'm a free man, all these years I've looked towards this day and now it has finally come. I am free." I walked back home appreciating the heat and sunlight, everything seemed idllyic, perfect, beautiful, at one in equilibrium. When I got home I took off the leash which I had had to wear around my neck for the past 5 years, I took off my uniform and put on my own clothes thinking that is the last time I will ever have to wear those clothes. I went for a drink or two, I hadn't drank much in pubs so I was a bit tentative in ordering a pint, but I was given one with much aplumb. I got home, played Doom 2 until 11.30 watched Later with Jools Holland, I realised that tomorrow there would be no more school, there would be no more school ever. It was a strange feeling. Que a whole summer of incredible weather and Morrowind, feeling very content and buoyed up with a mixture of naievety, mercurial purpose and optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Had a drunken conversation with a few of my teachers in the pub and now I do not wish to see them again...

Getting results this Wednesday will more than likely be my last time in the school, kind of weird to think about but I'm ready to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Uniform straight into the fire. Horrible uncomfortable yokes and they had to be bought from this ould pair of biddies for a rip off price though all they contributed to society was importing them from China or some other third world sh1thole

Namlub wrote: »
    Getting results this Wednesday will more than likely be my last time in the school

You just reminded me of a younger friend still in school that we 'kidnapped' a couple of years after leaving school. We were going on the batter at 2pm on a Friday afternoon, I was at the wheel while two of the lads (both ex students so recogniseable and in no way related) went in to announce that a family member of said friend was at deaths door and their 'brother' needed to leave for the day. Amazingly it worked and all three lads ran out and jumped in the car and we wheel-spun out of there. The year head got suspicious and rang the lads home to sympathise / suss out the story and the lads father copped and played along with it. He still got a bit of a bollocking at home for it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The last day, I think I went home and watched telly. The day the results came out, I went on a bender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I murdered a couple of my teachers that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Left my last exam half an hour early to go to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

1999. I don't remember much about it except that everyone was getting their shirts signed by classmates. I still have that tattered aul shirt somewhere with lots of scrawled signatures in blue marker.
    That night we all went to the pub and I remember singing myself hoarse. The place was packed with underage school leavers. Im sure I got completely twisted on 3 pints or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

People just stopped going to class towards the end of school to spend time preparing for the Leaving Cert for about the last month. Would go in and there'd be about 5 people, so many were cutting school the teachers were past caring so it was pretty much a turn up for whatever classes you want kind of thing or not at all if you want.
    Wasn't much atmosphere because of that and people were nervous and busy with the leaving cert too.

Finishing the LC was a great moment but it didn't feel like I was at school because we did it in a hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I celebrated by drawing a crude picture of my yearhead with a big penis sticking out of his forehead on the wall.

It was such a lovely day, We went to our grad mass ( I didnt cry at all:pac:)

Then we all met up for a meal and hit some club, brilliant night, everyone letting eachother use eachothers ID's, so much alcohol, had a great time:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

nowa days they dont tell you when your last day is
    they just tell you on the day that it will be your last day ( thats about an hour before school ends) so nothing is planned, we all end up goin on the piss the next night though
    no mass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I didn't feel anything to be honest, can barely remember it.

It was 12 years ago, I don't remember how I spent the day really, I remember me and my three best friends leaving the school at lunchtime when we were let out, it was lashing down with rain, skipping up the street singing "I know it's over, still I cling, I dunno where else I can go...." helped by the fact that my three best friends were all guys, skipping in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Last day of school was 21.5 years ago, i was 11 years old. My last day of school was the easter of 1992. I was in 5th class.

I never stepped foot in a school again.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

cynder wrote: »
    Last day of school was 21.5 years ago, i was 11 years old. My last day of school was the easter of 1992. I was in 5th class.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

The feeling of walking out of my school on the day of my last Leaving Cert exam a few months ago was the best feeling ever. Absolutely hated school, so it felt unreal knowing I'd never have to go back :D

The last proper day of classes though, I just skipped most of the classes like nearly everyone did.. was good enough craic with everyone but I couldn't be happier to be finished with it all now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Why?

We moved house, into the middle of nowhere it was too far to walk and dad wouldn't drive us, ( my brother was in 6th class)

When we moved back from the UK a few years before my half brother was 14 I was 8 it was 5 mile to school each and we walked that each day, it was 15 mile to secondary school and my dad refused to drive my half brother.

None of us had an education. I always felt inferior to everyone, I suffered big time. Days were spent helping out on a farm and watching sky, until I started full time work at 14.

At 22 I found a centre that did the LCA and I did that, got 196 out off 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

this thread reminded me of the grad mass, what an uncomfortable, awkward idea that was. Having a priest involved which had nothing to do with our school, everyone was nervous and in the back of our mind since we all hadn't done the LC yet we knew there was the possibility we could be back.

When I graduated college we had nice speeches, talked about the future and were treated with a lot of respect. Afterwards we went to our department building with our parents and had wine and snacks with our lecturers.

Shame we couldn't have had a nice graduation in school like that.

We moved house, into the middle of nowhere it was too far to walk and dad wouldn't drive us, ( my brother was in 6th class)

When we moved back from the UK a few years before my half brother was 14 I was 8 it was 5 mile to school each and we walked that each day, it was 15 mile to secondary school and my dad refused to drive my half brother.

None of us had an education. I always felt inferior to everyone, I suffered big time. Days were spent helping out on a farm and watching sky, until I started full time work at 14.

At 22 I found a centre that did the LCA and I did that, got 196 out off 200.

Now that's real genuine hero stuff in my book. Fair play to you.
    An inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

My last day in school felt like I was suddenly able to breathe for the first time in five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

My last day at school was pretty good. We got a half day, killed each other with egg and flour. Went home came back to school for grad mass, afterwards had wine and cheese reception with teachers and parents and then went on an absolute bender with the teachers after. Made a show of myself by tying my school tie around my geography teachers neck and telling him he was hot! Looking back now, I wouldn't get up on him to get over a wall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

After 13/14 years in school the day you walk out of class for the last time is a pretty special moment in your life and probably the first time you really feel grown up. It's 20 years since I finished school and if I remember right most schools gave you a half day and if they didin't you went on the hop anyhow.

I celebrated my last day of school by drinking cans in the local park with half of my year, going home on the bus for dinner and a snooze, going back to the school for some maas thing then going on the piss in the park again. I also 'scored' a chick that I had been chasing for all of my five years in secondary school that night so it was a pretty good day!

How did you celebrate your last day of school and how long ago was it?

I don't remember my last day in school, nor do I wish to remember any of those days. My abiding memory of school is that it was horrible. It was only years later, when I went to relationship counselling, that I realised the obvious which I had extraordinarily blanked from my entire self-identity: I had been bullied each and every day and as a consequence I went in on myself and had massive trust issues. I'm still a horribly cold and distrustful human being. I don't like being like this. But I do understand what went on in those years much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I remember coming out of the last LC exam throwing all my books, school bag and uniform onto a bonfire and dancing around singing I'd never have to learn anything again. When the fire went out I realised I was cold and naked in a field and that life wasn't finished teaching me lessons just yet. In actual fact I didn't really start learning about life until I left school.

Seanchai wrote: »
    I don't remember my last day in school, nor do I wish to remember any of those days. My abiding memory of school is that it was horrible. It was only years later, when I went to relationship counselling, that I realised the obvious which I had extraordinarily blanked from my entire self-identity: I had been bullied each and every day and as a consequence I went in on myself and had massive trust issues. I'm still a horribly cold and distrustful human being. I don't like being like this. But I do understand what went on in those years much better.

Your misanthropy is well placed.

You just learnt earlier in life what I didn't learn until much later in life.

Some people manage to get through their whole life without finding this out, and more power to them.

Unfortunaetly some of us find out that, when certain conditions and circumstances combine, 80-90% of 'humans' will turn out to be human vermin.

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Your misanthropy is well placed.

You just learnt earlier in life what I didn't learn until much later in life.

Some people manage to get through their whole life without finding this out, and more power to them.

Unfortunaetly some of us find out that, when certain conditions and circumstances combine, 80-90% of 'humans' will turn out to be human vermin.

I'm not sure I agree with you but it is important that you contribute to this thread and that your voice be heard too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I left school in June and it didn't hit me until I just read this thread. It's bringing a tear to my eye I must say!
    I loved school and wouldn't change it for the world.
    After graduation we went to the pub with the teachers and talked to them for a while. That was really nice. All the teachers were sound. Went to a club in the city center and got rat-arsed with all my friends. Started to talk to people from the year that I had never talked to before, that was nice too. Everyone was in good spirits and it was the best night I had in my life.
    Getting my results on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I failed some things which I'm really disappointed with. It'll be a sad day on Wednesday setting foot in that school for the last time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Finished a few months back. I'll be honest, it was a great school I went too. Most of the teachers had a knack for having some craic and still getting stuff done, small year groups meant everyone was friendly with one another, etc. I honestly loved most of my time there, though having said that, I won't be going back regardless of how my results go this Wednesday. Most of that will be because my mates will have moved on and the year below us are d**kheads. :pac:

On the last day we hung around the nearest pub for an hour or two, had a bit of craic and a few pints. Didn't really feel free though. That feeling didn't come until I put down my pen in the last exam. Boy, what a feeling though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

The 2nd last day of school was our grad mass (night) and preping the gym for the mass all that day in school. We all went to a pub after mass with some teachers. The bouncers let everyone with ID in, even though the ages were clearly underage. I got really drunk, put a brolly up in supermacs and sang a made up song about how happy I was. My mum came and collected me.

The next morning I had to get up for school. I was absolutely STUCK to the pillow. However, I was a champ and got up and went. We put on our "class of 06" tshirts and had some photos taken. Theres a picture of me on bebo with a big dying head on me. I looked so young. We were given notepad and pen each and had everyone in our year teachers included sign and write a farewell note to each other.

Some of our year took over the intercom in the office and made some funny announcements and after lunch the principal closed off the dining hall and the corridor and classrooms leading to the dining hall for our party. We had chinese, and there was a band in the dining hall and sweets and stuff, and we just ran amuck.

Happiest day of my life getting out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Am I the only one with absolutely no recollection of my last day at all? It must have been really ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Can't really remember what it was like in school on the last day, but there was a grad mass that evening though me and a friend didn't bother going and played Saints Row instead (turned out we were the only 2 in a year of 100 who didn't go). Afterwards, we headed to a house party with the rest of the year and got wankered. Fun, fun

The last day of the LC, I think I just walked home and watched a film or something. Most of the year still had a few days of exams to go so there wasn't really a party vibe about the place

I left school in June and it didn't hit me until I just read this thread. It's bringing a tear to my eye I must say!
    I loved school and wouldn't change it for the world.
    After graduation we went to the pub with the teachers and talked to them for a while. That was really nice. All the teachers were sound. Went to a club in the city center and got rat-arsed with all my friends. Started to talk to people from the year that I had never talked to before, that was nice too. Everyone was in good spirits and it was the best night I had in my life.
    Getting my results on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I failed some things which I'm really disappointed with. It'll be a sad day on Wednesday setting foot in that school for the last time!

Best of luck Wednesday dude! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Am I the only one with absolutely no recollection of my last day at all? It must have been really ****.
    You're not no, I remember watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on video plus getting drunk and vomiting for hours on the Leaving Cert results day, but the last day of school is a total blank, I think I just went home. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Coming up on 20 years ago for me too. The LC was looming and I didn't feel free at all. I do remember a few incidents on the last day - rotten eggs thrown, fire extinguishers set off and someone set fire to a green area with a petrol bomb.

The end of the LC was also an anticlimax. Because of the schedule and subject choice myself and a few others were the last to finish and were still doing exams while the majority were finished. No doubt there was some drinking and "celebrating" but I didn't partake in it and I know plenty of others didn't either.

After the LC I went on a holiday with my parents and had a quiet summer playing golf and working. Collected my results in the school that August and had a bit of craic with the teachers and my classmates but again there was no drinking afterwards for me. I didn't go to my debs and have basically not spoken to or had any contact with any of my classmates since the day I collected my results. No harm either, many of them were pr*cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember the day I went back to get my results, being amazed I'd done so well and sharing a six pack of beer with some mates outside the school at 9:30 in the morning and arranging to meet up that night in the local pub most famous for serving under-age but I can't for the life of me remember much about my last day of classes other than a sigh of relief that I was finally finished in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I celebrated my last day of school by drinking cans in the local park with half of my year, the piss in the park again. I also 'scored' a chick that I had been chasing for all of my five years in secondary school that night so it was a pretty good day!

It was a pretty good day? Long standing ride confirmed?

Are you Ice Cube?:P

Left my niggaz house paid
    Picked up a girl been tryin to **** since the twelve grade
    It's ironic, I had the brew she had the chronic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

8 years ago, i walked from the school and never returned.

I remember going to some mass and then we went out to dinner and drinking, cant remember much from that night! It was awesome apparantly

• Advertisement
Advertisement