Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin mums: Rotunda or Holles Street?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm living abroad at the moment in what would politely be called a 'developing nation'. The pre-natal care has been excellent but most ex-pat mums are advised to travel elsewhere for the birth as paediatric care is not very advanced here.

My health insurer says I can attend Holles Street or the Rotunda and I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on each. I don't know either place so any opinion/ advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Care would be much of a muchness at either hospital. I worked in Holles St and can say that you would recieve care to a very high standard if there were any complications or if the baby needed any neonatal care.

Its the national referral centre for Ireland and are very experienced in dealing whith a whole aray of complications during pregnancy, labour and birth.

That being said, birth is a very natural process and unless you have been told that you have any complications, or are at risk of any complications, you should not expect anything to go wrong!

I can understand your concern and why you would want to do everything you can to ensure the safe delivery of your baby, but the chances are that everything will be fine.

I hope whichever hospital you decide on that everything goes well.

Congratulations and good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

You're probably right on the mark there! Before I left Ireland I lived literally 100m away from the Coombe - I always thought 'how handy!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

have a look at aims ireland website and they have details on both hospitals, look at their active management of labour policies etc and see what one suits you best. If you thinking of breastfeeding, see which hospital is BFHI, have after support etc.

Could also check out rate my hospital and see what other parents think of either one.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I loved H Street, but I do think they are quite similar. One thing to think about is Dublin traffic- ie if you are staying on the northside, you may want to choose Rotunda, as it will be easier to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

I am in North County Dublin but chose Holles Street, it's a easy to get to as Rotunda and because I live beside train station, I can get train to Pearse St if needs be which is just around corner from Holles St. So far I have found them very good in there and they seem to look after you and be thorough. But that's just my two cents anyway ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement