Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on Turtles, Terrapins and Tortoises

Options
  • 13-10-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Myself and my friend want to buy a pet. We want something unusual so we've decided to go for something in the Turtle/Terrapin/Tortoise line.

Our situation: We go to college in Limerick and live in an apartment. We go home for the weekend but we have found some one trust worthy who will look after them.

Before we go out and make a huge mistake and end up killing a poor creature, can anyone please advise us.

What kind of pet do you think we should choose?
    What kind of equipment do you need for these pets?
    What kind of maintenance do they need?
    This is a really silly idea, isn't it? :) (If yes, can you suggest something better?)

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Eddy,

First off in Ireland turtle and terrapins will be the same thing ;)
    Terrapins your likely to get starting off would be red eared sliders or yellow bellied sliders.
    Both of these have the same housing needs and you can keep more than one together.

Both ybs and res are semi aquatic meaning they need a docking area to get out of the water. If your going this route I would advise you to get a tank that would be big enough to accomodate them when fully grown so you don't have to change. Or if your budget restricted get the biggest you can afford and bear in mind that you will have to upgrade someday.

The rule of thumb is 10gallons of water per inch of turtle. So when I say inches I mean shell inches not head to tail ;)

You would need a docking station for them a red uva/uvb heat bulb (while basking) and a uv bulb, a thermometer and a decent filter.

They get fed once a day about enough food that would fit in their heads if you could imagine them hollow.

I've never owned a tortoise so I can't really advise you there. Turts though are easy enough to keep once you have all the right equipment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

EddyC15 wrote: »
    Myself and my friend want to buy a pet. We want something unusual so we've decided to go for something in the Turtle/Terrapin/Tortoise line.

Our situation: We go to college in Limerick and live in an apartment. We go home for the weekend but we have found some one trust worthy who will look after them.

Before we go out and make a huge mistake and end up killing a poor creature, can anyone please advise us.

What kind of pet do you think we should choose?
    What kind of equipment do you need for these pets?
    What kind of maintenance do they need?
    This is a really silly idea, isn't it? :) (If yes, can you suggest something better?)

Thanks a million.

I've had a Russian Tortoise for 2 years now and he's a great little guy. He's a male so he won't grow much bigger than 4", they are fairly independant so he doesn't require fussing over like our dogs (although no animal should be just put in a cage and thrown food once a day!!!). You will need both UVA and UVB bulbs, v.important for shell health, a tort table (although my boyfriend built our tortoise cage for a fraction of the cost, see pics), food and water bowls, correct substrate etc. Russian should be steeped in luke warm water (no higher than its chin) twice a week to keep them hydrated. They can be fed weeds which saves money as they can be picked for free, Dandilions being a paticular favourite, just make sure you know what are toxic. Check out this link for the best advice:
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianTortoise/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=2

Nibbler 08.10.09.JPG

Nibbler Eating 08.10.09.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joshor123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y all the information you need about turtles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

If you're going to get an aquatic pet, don't start with an animal that needs a lot of attention.

You're probably better off getting some tropical fish, at least you can leave them a slow release feed when you're not around.

All chelonians(shelled critters) have a high degree of care and unless you're willing to put the time and effort in I'd look for something else as a pet.

Link to Tortoise/Turtle care Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭hardtrainer

You said it yourself, it IS a silly idea.

Terrapins do not make good pets. They need a lot of care to be kept healthy and in good condition. They grow quickly, are quite agressive and soil their water quickly thus requiring very good filtration systems (which they generally do not get). Unfortunately most owners find all of this out too late and the unwanted (and often poorly cared for) terrapins are either released into the wild (doing significant damage) or passed off to other unsuspecting owners. Avoid at all costs.

Tortoises are protected and should only really be kept by experienced and dedicated keepers. A good setup, giving all the care that these animals really need costs much more money than expected and remember that they live a long time.

Given your situation, you would be better off with some fish. They're easier to keep and will be fine for a weekend with very little care once your tank is well set up and maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Get a leopard gecko instead if you want a gecko.

Turtles are dirty and smelly to keep (I know, I have one) and can be aggressive.

Geckos are a lot easier to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Thanks to all of ye.
    I'll talk to my flatmate and try and make him see sense.

I'd say I'll go for something else and spare a turtle the horrors of student accommodation. A daddy-long-legs maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good on ye for seeing sense EddyC15, if your renting don't forget to check with the landlord/lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Your right to stay away from the Terrapin/Turtle they live a really long time and are quiet smelly so not great for an apartment. If ye want something a bit different then what about a Betta/Siamese Fighting Fish they are a fabulous looking fish and are proper little characters. They are a tropical fish so you would have to have a heater and even though they don't technically need a filter it would be silly not to get one because without it you'll be cleaning out the tank every couple of days, there well worth it and not that expensive.

Bettas are quite vicious and males will fight each other to the death, also you couldn't a female and a male together as the male would end up killing the female by tormenting her. So if I were you I would just a small tank and have 1 male Betta.

If you go into Kevin in Underwater World [Cecil St. down by the station but moving out to Castletroy in the next month or so] he'll sort ye out. What ever ye decide to get stay the hell away from Pet Mania believe me I learned that lesson the hard way.

Advertisement