Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation and Water tank

Options
  • 17-04-2009 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I have some guys coming tomorrow to insulate my attic. I have a water tank in the attic and I asked them if they want me to empty it in order to move it during the flooring and insulation process.

They informed me this was not needed as they would floor and insulate around it. I wasn't sure but they said that this was normal practice because some heat was needed to come up through the ceiling to prevent the water tank from freezing during the winter.

To me, this sounds incorrect. I would have thought that this was going to be a source of heat loss.

Can we have a vote from the experts on what is standard practice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

If the tank itself is properly insulated, then the ceiling underneath should be insulated as well to the same degree as the rest of the ceiling.

The tank should be covered and fitted with an air vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Don Pedro

Thanks for your response,

So, any reason why they would say what they said? The tank currently is not insulated although I have plans to do thils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Don Pedro wrote: »
    Thanks for your response,

So, any reason why they would say what they said? The tank currently is not insulated although I have plans to do thils.

its common practice to insulate them . I was under the impression that it was to protect the water against the freezing cold . Keeping the water at a higher temp meant less condensation on your toilet and sinks as well.

But this is just a theory I came to. could be wrong.

I was actually more concerned about them only flooring and insulating around the tank. I thought it would be better to insulate the whole floor. They assure me what they propose is coming practice.

Who's right?

p.s. I will insulate the tank myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Don Pedro wrote: »
    I was actually more concerned about them only flooring and insulating around the tank. I thought it would be better to insulate the whole floor. They assure me what they propose is coming practice.

Who's right?

p.s. I will insulate the tank myself.

. the tank need the heat of the house under it to prevent it getting chilled.

if it chills then all your water pipes and sanitary ware down stairs would gather condensation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

new requirements are that the depth of insulation in attics be 300mm .as for under the tank,it is not done to allow the heat from the house to take the chill from the tank.just make sure that you have a solid cover over the tank before they insulate it,or you'll be drinking dust.hope this helps

Thanks for all your help people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just to back up all that is said. They insulate and floor all around it, They insulate the sides and top of the tank. They do not insulate the underneath. This allows the heat up out of the house to stop the tank freezing as you note.

If you want the tank moved a plumber does this not an insulation company but I would not do this. Tanks are poositioned in particular areas cause of reasons otherwise they would be shoved out of the way.

Advertisement