Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Cat

Options
  • 09-02-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

We have a cat who is now about 4 months old. The cat is affectionate, playful and seems perfectly well-adjusted. The only problem is that he's starting to smell a bit. It's not that strong, but it's definitely noticeable when he's sitting on your lap. As far as I know, there is nothing in the house that could be causing this.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've bathed him once when he was younger, but haven't since because the vet said you shouldn't bathe a cat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

you should NEVER bathe your cat for a start..

the reason why you cat is beginning to smell is because male cats/tomcats have a certain scent that they spray to mark their teritory..

theres not much you can do about it but your cat is probably just growing up and the smell will go as he gets older and cleans himself more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We have bathed ours; after falling in thick, black mud no other way.

Also for shows in the past.

But it will not help this wee man:)

Is he neutered yet?
    you should NEVER bathe your cat for a start..

the reason why you cat is beginning to smell is because male cats/tomcats have a certain scent that they spray to mark their teritory..

theres not much you can do about it but your cat is probably just growing up and the smell will go as he gets older and cleans himself more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Bold Fuzzylogic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

As the song goes - what are you feeding him? :D

I noticed that the cats I'm minding smelled a bit of the food they were getting, when I changed to a better quality food, the smell lessened. But the tom cat did have his own "special" smell. Even though he was neutered and quite clean. I suppose its just the same as each person has a unique smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Whiskas kitten pouches and Go-cat dry food. We tried other food, but he doesn't seem that interested in it . . .

He hasn't been neutered yet, although the vet has said that we should take him in next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"Whiskas kitten pouches and Go-cat dry food. We tried other food, but he doesn't seem that interested in it . . .

He hasn't been neutered yet, although the vet has said that we should take him in next month."

Whiskas can make cats pong big time esp. their poop.

Cats are generally clean and don't smell so check the cat over to make sure there's no food stuck in the cats teeth or anything stuck in the fur.

Deffo. have him neutered asap you might be able to get away with having the vet do it now but some vets won't until they are 6 months.

People can bathe cats but it does depend on the cat most hate it but you'll get the occasional cat that likes it. Longer haired cats need a lot of grooming which can involve bathing at times, I washed our previous cat once when she was a kitten..never again lol.

Also once he's neutered (if that's what's causing the smell) you can get special cat friendly sprays for their fur just to freshen them up but cats shouldn't need it and unless it's a natural spray I'd be worried the cat would be injesting the chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

Checking for oral problems (very smelly breath can be a sign of deeper problems), ear infections and anal gland problems is a good starting point.

We had a kitten with a distinctive 'cheesy' smell, partly caused by an excessive of greasy oils around the base of his tail and between his toes. Cleaning this area lessened the smell and neutering removed it.

Then it might just come down to altering his diet and see if that helps. The premium quality dry cat foods like Royal Canin and Hills usually lead to smaller, less smelly stools and less catty odours in general. They seem dear at first but if you follow the feeding guidelines they work out at a reasonable enough price if they suit your cat.

There is nothing wrong with occasionally bathing a cat! Unless they have been periodically bathed from kittenhood most cats will find it frightening though.

Edited to add - bran baths are a less stressful way of cleaning a cat. warm bran is rubbed into the coat then thoroghly brushed out. It blots up grease and carries out grot.

Advertisement