Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throttle not as responsive

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a dragstar 250 and lately the throttle seems a bit light and not as responsive as it used to be, specially in the low gears

This happened before but after a service was much better.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

thanks
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean you can twist the throttle a bit without resistance before it actually kicks in? Does it feel "loose"?

In that case, it's likely that the cable just needs to be tensioned. There's an adjuster on the handlebar, like a little screw, where the throttle cable enters the grip. You just adjust that until you only have a tiny bit of play in the handle.

Video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGz3Fw9s0g

Edit:
    If you can twist the throttle and feel the resistance but it still doesn't kick in, then it's either a case of the carb needing adjustment or the engine being overly cold. Had a similar problem when I had a Marauder. Draining the carb initially made a big difference, then I had a shop clean it out. If it's a case of the engine being cold, it should go away when it heats up - in that case, leave the engine to run for five minutes before you set out in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

That did the job. Thanks

Advertisement