Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor bike from a Norn Iron dealer - do I get the V5? (they want to post off)

Options
  • 29-09-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭

Ive an invoice for the purchase of a Honda moto but no V5.
    It was filled out in front of me and the bike is a good one.

They are a Honda dealership and they always post to their people they say and I await ownership papers in the post even if its a southern import.

This normal?
    Does it take long?

I thought I should have walked with the documentation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The dealer is wrong - you are obilged to carry the V5C with you.

There is a section on the V5 they fill in, and post off - the rest - the actual V5C itself, you are supposed to get.

Posting off is only for domestic UK / NI sales............grief, doesn't anybody RTFM these days (dealer, not you OP - they should know better..)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

They said they have done this everyone so far - like we know what we are doing.

“We send it to our tax office and it flags something on your govt sysstem, then you get something in the post”

It sus - but they are a honda dealer.

It hasnt been posted - how am I going to convince them the document belongs to me now?

Im really concerned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

How long ago was it OP?

When I bought mine I did get the V5 from him but the bit he took and posted to the vehicle registration place in Swansea was returned to me about 4/5 weeks after he posted it, with a note saying they don't handle exports.

Might just have to wait a little while to get is all.

colm_c wrote: »
    How long ago was it OP?

When I bought mine I did get the V5 from him but the bit he took and posted to the vehicle registration place in Swansea was returned to me about 4/5 weeks after he posted it, with a note saying they don't handle exports.

Might just have to wait a little while to get is all.

Was bought on Sat just passed. Talk about laid back people.

We were exhausted after a long week and long drive. We had insurance etc to arrange as the place was closing at 2 so we were under pressure.

Anywho I will call him tomorrow and ask yet again for my section to be given to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you look in the motors sections on importing from the UK thread they've gone through all this. You need the full V5, the V5 tells the dealer/seller to post it off but this is incorrect. You'll need the full V5 when you go to the VRO, if you don't have the full V5 it can take ages to clear.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you look in the motors sections on importing from the UK thread they've gone through all this. You need the full V5, the V5 tells the dealer/seller to post it off but this is incorrect. You'll need the full V5 when you go to the VRO, if you don't have the full V5 it can take ages to clear.

I will try explain this to the dealer - but I will have some job I think.

Happy ending ...

They have agreed to post the documentation.

It was filled out in front of us, I know it existed, they were just misinformed about exports to the south is all.

Ive req they keep a photocopy as well encase the docs dont arrive.
    I know I need originals, but to be sure to be sure.

Doc arrived by registered post this morn from the Honda Dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It works either way, but is faster when they complete the "permanent export from the UK" section and let you have the V5C.

I've bought both ways. One guy point blank refused to give me the V5C and insisted on doing it like I was a local. What happens is that the DVLA simply send the V5C on to you with a letter stating "As you are not resident in Great Britain, we are unable to update our records and issue a new V5C with you as owner. We enclose the V5C to assist you in registering your vehicle in your own country". It doesn't even take that much longer, just a few days maybe. I presume DVNI would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

When I imported my Monster S4r last year, I had to take the full V5 except the section on export. The last owener filled that out. I then went to the VRT office in Tallaght and registered the bike with the V5. Was all done and paid for then and there. Couple weeks later I got the registration cert in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

murphaph wrote: »
    It works either way, but is faster when they complete the "permanent export from the UK" section and let you have the V5C.

I've bought both ways. One guy point blank refused to give me the V5C and insisted on doing it like I was a local. What happens is that the DVLA simply send the V5C on to you with a letter stating "As you are not resident in Great Britain, we are unable to update our records and issue a new V5C with you as owner. We enclose the V5C to assist you in registering your vehicle in your own country". It doesn't even take that much longer, just a few days maybe. I presume DVNI would do the same.

The easiest way to avoid this hassle is, at the start of the buying process, to inform the seller of how he has to give you the V5C. Give him links to the DVLA site, and their phone no, so he can confirm that what you're saying is true, long before you turn up to collect. Turning up on the doorstep would, understandably, give someone the heeby-jeebies, they not knowing you from Adam.........and whether all those 20's you handed over are hot off the photocopier !! :D

At the moment, the delay in DVLC in sending you docs the other way, is currently 6 weeks, not days. Some sort of IR palaver going on over there, apparently.

A few years ago, I bought a K75RT from a guy in Scotland. I didn't have the foresight then to do what I said above on this occasion, and turned up at the door. Inspected the bike, happy enough, paid the man. Come papertime, he was reluctant to give me the V5, despite what I was telling him, despite what it SAYS ON THE V5 !!........this being a Saturday, he picked up the phone to confirm. It's what he said in the conversation that got me ! - ' Police Officer XX here, just ringing about this guy from Ireland who's arrived to buy my bike and wants the V5.........yada yada'

The DVLA told him he doesn't even have to fill in the bit of the V5 for exporting , they'll accept a letter from seller give the details.

I don't know why this subject is so confusing for UK sellers, I really don't, and there's no excuse for NI dealer not knowing how to do it - they must spend half their live's dealing back/forth across the border already......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement