Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Journey Times- 'Most Definitely not getting there'!

Options
  • 16-06-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭

Was just having a look through platform11's excellent website and came across the following link relating to IE's journey times;
    http://www.platform11.org/passenger_issues/not_getting_there.php

To say the least I was shocked at how their journey times have INCREASED in recent years despite major investment (of our taxes) in extensive track and signalling upgrades.This is surely a national scandal in public transport.
    You would invisage some slight improvement at the very least?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Where are the early stats taken from? IE were bull****ting their journey times for years. You had to allow for 30 mins over the predicted arrival time. It's only in the past few years that they seem to have become accurate.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Times are taken from Irish Rail timetables, this is fact

I'll given an example, Sunday evening Thurles Dublin, best non stop currently is 82 minutes, back in the great days of 1997 64-65 minutes was routinely achieved on the very same train. Them were the days of tearing through Clondalkin towards Dublin at close to 90mph, it was unbelievably quick

I've been on trains that reached Heuston 10-15 minutes early, best example is a Athlone Dublin trip last November, train was delayed by 10 minutes waiting for a Westport train to arrive, we arrived Inchicore stopped for 5 minutes and then proceeded into Heuston, arriving 5 minutes early work that out.

Reliability and punctuality was rubbish until the mid 1990's until investment sorted out the track and signalling on secondary lines, the track on the Dublin Cork couldn't hack the speeds (nor could the locomotives) and the safety police started to pop there head up which slowed things down. That said the numbers are the official timetable numbers. There is a significant improvement in the 2003 to 2006 numbers but still its rubbish

Advertisement