Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campers at Electric Picnic, prohibited items

Options
  • 27-08-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

May be a stupid question but do you have to clear your camper of all glass, knives etc to gain entry to Camper facility at Electric Picnic. What about bottles of wine? The T&C's refer to "event" and "venue" .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stopandstare

I would really love an answer to this question too as we mostly live in our campervan so it would be horrific to have to loose most of our jars & containers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

It'd be harsh to take jars/containers, i'm sure there are plenty of people going in with jam and nutella :)

Wine, spirit and beer bottles might be a bit stricter. Got this from the main EP thread in Gigs/Events:
    Yup, you stay in campervan area thursday night and then get wristbands on the friday morning. As long as everyone in the camper has a ticket then you'll be fine. You can't go anywhere but the campervan area on thursday night so don't be expecting to be able to wander the site.

EDIT: there's no difference in the wrist band for people in campervan area so your friend can come and go to the campervan area all weekend. I think it's just sunday day trippers that might have a problem getting into the camper area.

A couple of things to point out about bringing a campervan that catches out a lot of people, including myself in years past. Don't bring any bottles in the camper, and no generator. Security board every camper on the way in and search it thoroughly for glass bottles, and they will remove them. Same with any generator they find. You can pick up the generator on the way out when going home monday morning so it's not a major deal unless you are relying on it for power. A friend of mine brought one last year rather than fix his leisure battery and got caught out.

They will give you time to transfer any drink to plastic bottles if you have some spare bottles (i tipped out water to keep my rum) but it's best to have all that done before you arrive.

EDIT: Cans are fine btw.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91711133&postcount=5159

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I had camper at EP six years in a row and nobody has ever searched it. I don't bring glass beer bottles. But I certainly am not removing my cutlery.
    Bring on tomorrow yippie!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Thanks for replies. Arrived to a wet EP - all campers searched but was a quick scan. Saw a few glasses being removed. Brought no bottles. No issue with all the usual camper gear - knives included. Big crowd in the caravan/camper field already. Raining all night here but fine now and forecast not too bad for rest of weekend. Roll on the music.

I always bring glass bottles to festivals and I always bring all the empties home with me.

Didja see anyone demounting the spare tyre during their search :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Martin_D wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Arrived to a wet EP - all campers searched but was a quick scan. Saw a few glasses being removed. Brought no bottles. No issue with all the usual camper gear - knives included. Big crowd in the caravan/camper field already. Raining all night here but fine now and forecast not too bad for rest of weekend. Roll on the music.

Is there much room left in the camper area, or more importantly is there likely to be much left by about 10 tonight I can't get there before then?

If anyone wants to keep me a space it would be much appreciated :)

This is my first electric picnic in about 6 years and the first time since I got my camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Had a great EP - first time but plan to be back. Overall positive but i do question how campervans and caravans are treated. You pay and extra 60 for the privilege of staying in the furthest away site from all the action. There are too few Portaloos (although they were kept in great order) - could do with double the number at least (and that would only be about 20). Yes we have our won facilities but facilities for emptying black waste is fairly primitive and only 2 tanks provided. The only really cost over and above other campsites is the central metal road. Given there were about 900 vans at 60 quid a go I doubt if the extra costs came to that - a profit on campers on top of the profit on the ticket that all those attended had to pay. The lane way entrance and exit is fairly rough and again no cost incurred there. Water point was OK but again not enough for such a large crowd.
    Some attending have poor etiquette on matters of litter - usual few giving a bad name. Finally - the early parking directions were all over the place - rows were set out but appeared to have been ignored - but this got sorted out on Friday arrivals - maybe it was because of the dark on Thursday!

Rant over - security, portaloo attendants and stewards were all OK and helpful from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

there were definitely a lot less portaloos in the campervan area this year, don't know why it would go this way, it used to be a good option to head into the campervan area even if you weren't camping there as the toilets are generally quieter and in better condition, but the opposite was the case this year.

fwiw I think 60 euro is a fair price, there's a whole extra field that needs to be allocated, you're taking up much more room per person than a field full of tents, plus staff, fencing, wrist band exchange etc. 20 euro a night is pretty typical at any campsite around the country and actually you have the option of staying Thursday night too, it's longer away for sure but I can't see anyway you're not going to be on the outskirts of the camping without driving through the middle of everyone. at least you could drive right in, if you'd done the marathon journey dragging cans and everything from the carparks to the camping you'd know all about it!

I've actually never brought a camper there, instead have put up my tent beside friends who brought one. thinking of bringing a camper next year, the early early bird tickets are out now for just over 150, does anyone know when the campervan tickets are out, can I buy two ordinary tickets now and just add a campervan ticket for 60 in the future or do they need to be bought all together?

Lads it's an over-hyped over-priced go-to-bed early uber commercial festival.
    Take the camper to the mainland find a grass roots festival of what you're really into and tickets could be €60 for 5 days and campers onsite free 24hour events.
    If you want to see how the Germans do a worthwhile Picnic check out Fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Who headlined Fusion this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

In a world of unlimited holidays and free diesel a trip to festivals on the continent (which I have been to) would be feasible, failing that will probably have to make do with the one that's an hour down the road

To answer my previous question there are campervan tickets for 2015 also available at the moment

http://www.fusion-festival.de/en/2014/program/band/
    Not a single band do I know on that list - there's a reason why the tickets are cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Lads it's an over-hyped over-priced go-to-bed early uber commercial festival.
    Take the camper to the mainland find a grass roots festival of what you're really into and tickets could be €60 for 5 days and campers onsite free 24hour events.

Take into account cost of travel and diesel I think EP works out a little cheaper.

First time to EP and went in the camper. Loved every minute of it. Could have done with another few tiolets in the area but we seemed to be the only area with a full time attendent so cant really complain. Well worth the extra €60 and will be going again next year.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    there's a reason why the tickets are cheap!

It's the most popular festival in Europe. You can't buy tickets You have to enter a raffle to win the opportunity to buy tickets demand is so fierce. Granted there's not much what we'd call pop music.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Take into account cost of travel and diesel I think EP works out a little cheaper.

I did, depending on the size of a group you're taking.
    I got down to Croatia last year for 3 weeks. 2 boats, plus diesel 2 x 5 day tickets to 23 hour music. Camper on site free, plenty loos and water, €100 more than a weekend in Stradbally. France, Italy, Slovenia on the way down, Austria, Germany Belgium on the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I got down to Croatia last year for 3 weeks. 2 boats, plus diesel 2 x 5 day tickets to 23 hour music. Camper on site free, plenty loos and water, €100 more than a weekend in Stradbally. France, Italy, Slovenia on the way down, Austria, Germany Belgium on the return.

And I bet noone vomitted on you, set fire to/tripped over/stole your tent, threatened you, spilled your drink or worst of all hugged and kissed you because they were off their face on yokes. :pac::pac:

It's the most popular festival in Europe. You can't buy tickets You have to enter a raffle to win the opportunity to buy tickets demand is so fierce. Granted there's not much what we'd call pop music.

There must be alot more to it than the music then!:D

Advertisement