Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London rioter accents

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Watching a program on the London riots and the culprits who were involved in it.
    What sticks out is this dizzy rascal/n-dubz style accent they all have.
    Any time I have been to London I never here this accent,is it put on to act hard or gangsta or do these people actually talk like this.
    It's like your one Jessie J as well horrible accents but where did it originate as it's slang text talk.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

most black people in london talk that way BRUV

<
    not a racist i'm just very honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

An urban south London accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The London gang culture develops it's own accent and slang which doesn't always use conventional grammar to communicate ...so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Usually blacks sound the same in London if it's working class.
    Then whites have the chav accent that's basically the skanger accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

It's sarf London mutilcultural, innit. An accent which will guarantee you will never become a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Sappa wrote: »
    Watching a program on the London riots and the culprits who were involved in it.
    Any time I have been to London I never here this accent,is it put on to act hard or gangsta or do these people actually talk like this.
    It's like your one Jessie J as well horrible accents but where did it originate as it's slang text talk.

Aiiiiiight, we was just hangin bro !! We didn't burn down no buildings yo, why you always gots to be coming up here blaming us and makin us talk like gimps.

Kinda like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They wanna sound like the Yardies. 2nd and 3rd generation immigrant gangsters from the Carribbean. They were in the old Grand Theft Auto games ha.
    I'd imagine a lot of them put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's sarf London mutilcultural, innit. An accent which will guarantee you will never become a doctor.

Well, that and rioting instead of studying.

Two gang leaders who orchestrated looting ( one believe it or not from his bail hostel ) were sent down for a few years the other day and police are still determined to catch others yet to be identified from CCTV footage .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Latchy wrote: »
    Two gang leaders who orchestrated looting ( one believe it or not from his bail hostel ) ......

Knowing when to delegate and when to get "hands on" is part and parcel of good management.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Knowing when to delegate and when to get "hands on" is part and parcel of good management.

Yeah...let some '' other muthafcuker do yoh sheet for yo man '' .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think they get looked after pretty well in the UK considering many of them have no intention of ever working. They should go back to their own countries if they're that unhappy. And im not talking about the ones who are honest and contribute to society, but the ones going around acting all cool & gansta, causing trouble and smashing things up for the sake of it. And if you dare to criticize them, you get the race card thrown at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

WumBuster wrote: »
    They should go back to their own countries if they're that unhappy.

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

Sappa wrote: »

The interviews in that program were recreated by actors and were a bit hammed-up as a result. Nevertheless the kid-on patois of sections of young Londoners does sound awful - you'd not come across it on a wreck round Londo unless you went looking for it (which you wouldn't as its sh1te).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think they get looked after pretty well in the UK considering many of them have no intention of ever working. They should go back to their own countries if they're that unhappy. ..........

Aye. Send the fuckers on the first plane back to Peckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

MadsL wrote: »

Understood about 5% of that. It's a very irritating noise they're making anyway.

Ye get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,591 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Putting on a fake accent is a little like the riots and those who took part, pointless and brainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

lets discredit working class people coz they have accents eh?

like the skanger accent... we're better then them... lets brand people as skangers coz they have certain accents...

its fine to hate the actions of rioters and its fine to hate their accents but to judge a person because they have a (working class) accent is disgusting..

people who have to grow up on tough streets tend not to give a **** about pro·nun·ci·a·tion...

this is typical Irish snobbery, an RTE accent is what many Irish people aspire to have and plenty contrive theirs more so than the London rioters init!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Most genuine English Londoners were shipped out to new towns in Essex and Kent in the 1960's, you'd have to go to Harlow or Chatham to hear the sort of accent heard in Eastenders.

• Advertisement

I think they get looked after pretty well in the UK considering many of them have no intention of ever working. They should go back to their own countries if they're that unhappy. And im not talking about the ones who are honest and contribute to society, but the ones going around acting all cool & gansta, causing trouble and smashing things up for the sake of it. And if you dare to criticize them, you get the race card thrown at you.

England IS their own fúcking country.

England IS their own fúcking country.

Bernard Manning '' A dog born in a stable doesn't make it a Horse '' :pac:

dd972 wrote: »

Well what if they're third generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Funny accent? It's cos they are knobs and put it on. I used to slag the Gangsta lads about their "pimp walks", ie putting on a limp to look "cool". I used to ask them straight out if they were born that way or had they had an accident. Usually, they didn't like being asked that and did a lot of teeth sucking noises and "cool" comebacks. Really though, it's cos they are knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

dd972 wrote: »

By that logic, Kipling isn't British.

He makes fackin gud pies thaugh bruv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

And neither are a good chunk of the British gold medallists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

..nor their aristocracy.

But has they attitude bruv? Dat be the real ting. Knobs. I know, I grew up with them. I had white mates that sounded like they just stepped off a jet from the Carribean despite their parents speaking perfectly normally. Massive, massive knobbery.

• Advertisement

the Bernard Manning quote was a joke btw

these types of things are elastic, Mo Farah for example is a British-Somalian but not an Englishman of course.

Ronan O'Gara, Shane MacGowan and James Larkin were born outside the island but are Irish through and through and conversely we share the island with a million plus people who don't regards themselves as Irish having been here 400+ plus.

Advertisement