Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a used game at gamestop.

Options
  • 16-07-2012 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My son(6yrs old) picked up the hitman edition of w11 in gamestop a few days ago whilst out with his nanny. Thing is he already has wwe11 and didnt realise it was the same game just with extra dvd. Can i return the game and swop it for another he doesn't have. Thanks

Still have reciept and bag it came in too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The child was with an adult who purchased the game. It says so in the OP. The shop did nothing wrong. Game Ratings are an advisory to parents, nothing more. And who are you to criticise what a parent let's their child do?

Besides, wrestling has a huge following with children and if it's okay to watch them play fighting, why is it not okay to play them play fighting?

Edit: It seems the second poster has deleted their idiotic post. Nothing to see here :p

To answer the original question, if you have the receipt you are fine. The only issue game stores have with returns is PC games. Because it's on the console you will have no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Kirby wrote: »
    The child was with an adult who purchased the game. It says so in the OP. The shop did nothing wrong. Game Ratings are an advisory to parents, nothing more. And who are you to criticise what a parent let's their child do?

Besides, wrestling has a huge following with children and if it's okay to watch them play fighting, why is it not okay to play them play fighting?

To answer the original question, if you have the receipt you are fine. The only issue game stores have with returns is PC games. Because it's on the console you will have no trouble.

Thanks

Think you read post wrong. He has the game already at home. He didnt realise the hitman edition was the same game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Thanks

Think you read post wrong. He has the game already at home. He didnt realise the hitman edition was the same game.

Nah, he was just replying to my rant (which I deleted because he's right! None of my bees wax if a six year old is allowed to play wrestling games!).

You could try and ring the shop and explain, I don't see any bother in replacing/changing the game.
    Last edited by Kirby; Today at 14:08. Reason: Other person ran away.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Hi all. My son(6yrs old) picked up the hitman edition of w11 in gamestop a few days ago whilst out with his nanny. Thing is he already has wwe11 and didnt realise it was the same game just with extra dvd. Can i return the game and swop it for another he doesn't have. Thanks

Still have reciept and bag it came in too.

if its with gamestop
    and within 28 days (i think its 28days) then yes they will change it for you no problem
    but dont expect a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

saiint wrote: »
    if its with gamestop
    and within 28 days (i think its 28days) then yes they will change it for you no problem
    but dont expect a refund

Eh, it's a month's warranty they give, not change of mind.

You've 7 days to return it for an exchange or store credit OP, i learned that from experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bring it back with the receipt and tell them it was a birthday present but your son already had it, and ask can you change it for a different game

they should be fine with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks to gamestop for giving me credit on returning game without receipt. 17.99 I got back, and then proceeded to another gamestop and got a buy 2 get another free deal. Which left me and junior with 3 games and still 6 euro credit left. Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah PEGI game ratings are not enforceable by law. I hate a bit debate with a gamestop manager a few years ago when he would not sell me a 18+ game :P He could have told me it was store policy not to sell 18+ to a minor and I would have been fine with that :rolleyes:

N64 wrote: »
    Yeah PEGI game ratings are not enforceable by law. I hate a bit debate with a gamestop manager a few years ago when he would not sell me a 18+ game :P He could have told me it was store policy not to sell 18+ to a minor and I would have been fine with that :rolleyes:

If you figured out it was store policy (and it's also painfully obvious that the ratings are there for a reason), why haggle with the guy? He was just doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

He stated that the same laws that prevent stores from selling alcohol and tobbaco based products to minors also apply to games. Which, if you don't know is a load of crap. I simply went home and bought the game on amazon instead. Much cheaper, efficient and I don't have to deal with ignorant staff.

• Advertisement

N64 wrote: »
    He stated that the same laws that prevent stores from selling alcohol and tobbaco based products to minors also apply to games. Which, if you don't know is a load of crap. I simply went home and bought the game on amazon instead. Much cheaper, efficient and I don't have to deal with ignorant staff.

Because it's easier just to say 'it's the law' than to try and deal with a smartarse teenager (and it is the law for dvds, and games are making the shift).

I worked in video retail once (not Gamestop), and if you didn't sell a game to some minors, you'd have the lunkhead parent in giving out to you about wasting their time having to come in. The flip side of that is if you did sell an 18+ game to a minor, you run the risk of being (1) being secret shopped or (2) the parent coming in and going nuts at you because you sold it to them without their permission.

I agree he shouldn't have said what he said about the tobacco and alcohol because that's not strictly true, but the fact is you went looking for a game you knew you weren't allowed to purchase and yet you're saying the staff are the ignorant ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Because it's easier just to say 'it's the law' than to try and deal with a smartarse teenager (and it is the law for dvds, and games are making the shift).

I worked in video retail once (not Gamestop), and if you didn't sell a game to some minors, you'd have the lunkhead parent in giving out to you about wasting their time having to come in. The flip side of that is if you did sell an 18+ game to a minor, you run the risk of being (1) being secret shopped or (2) the parent coming in and going nuts at you because you sold it to them without their permission.

I agree he shouldn't have said what he said about the tobacco and alcohol because that's not strictly true, but the fact is you went looking for a game you knew you weren't allowed to purchase and yet you're saying the staff are the ignorant ones?

You forgot that if you mention to the parent that the game is 18, they hear it as you saying they're a bad parent.

Advertisement