Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a difference?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Found out recently I'm pregnant.

Was going to go public and get combined care but it turns out I'm covered by my vhi for semi-private.

Am I right in thinking the only difference between the two is with semi private you might get a smaller ward and might get the same doctor? You can also avail of the combined care?

Are there any extra costs to me by going semi private?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I do think there are some costs involved with SPC (semi-private care) but combined care is completely free and as a good a service as SPC. I've actually known the queues for the SPC clinic to be longer than for the public in Holles St.

If you can go with the Midwives, I'd highly recommend it.

If you can't, try and go to a satellite clinic close o where you live. I attended the clinic in Wicklow Town, never waited longer than half an hour to be seen, and was seen by my consultant at every visit. People pay thousands for that!

I honestly can't understand why the 'Prvate' system exists. I know couples who do go private have their reasons and thats their business. But if a problem arises in a pregnancy, the treatment is the same regardless of what level of cover you have, and infact, going Private won't buy you a private room if you need admission antenatally! In the UK and many other countries around the world, there is no need for a private system. But anyway, this is a whole other topic :)

If you do decide to go SPC, you may get a bed on a ward with max 5 beds in it. In Holles st the public wards have 6 beds in them but occasionally they have to squeeze in extra beds. And of you have an epidural or need a section or anything, the Insurance will pay the consultant for this service whereas if you go public they don't. (well they do but only as part of their every day work!)

Oh and Congratulations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

with my plan with quinn the cost of semi-private was going to be 2500 euro, i presumed it was going to be alot less. Went public, found it great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the hospital and there will be an excess to pay on top of vhi alot of which you can claim back via vhi and med1.
    The main advantage of semi private is that you choose your consultant and see them every time,the other advantage is the semi private room.
    Normally people go semi private with combined care.
    I have never had a long wait as I am always there early but today I witnessed the q of all q's as one of the consultants had osmeone else filling in for him that doesn't quite have the lightening fast time for getting people in and out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Allyo

Hi there, if ye don't mind, I'd like to join in here as I have been reading up on, phoning, looking online and asking anyone who can answer me...what does health insurance cover??? I have the FamilyPlus scheme with Quinn and they tell me that they will cover me to go private in a public hospital and to go semi-private in a private hopsital. So when I called up Holles St. private and told them I'd like to make an appointment to go private, the lady informed me that my health insurance would not cover it. I called Quinn back and they said that they would cover for a private room in a public hospital. Now this is totally different to going private!! Going private means you see the consultant at every visit and pay consultant fees up to 3000. So I was totally confused. It seems to me that they cover you to get a private room if it is available but other than that the cover is basically semi-private. As far as I can make out, there is no such thing as health insurance that covers you to go private and get the care of a private patient. If you want that, you pay yourself!! Can anyone let me know if I have got this correct or if I'm totally wrong. I have never been so confused before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

None of the health insurance plans cover the cost of the consultant visits, you have to pay this yourself (same as you do if you visit a consultant privately for any other medical condition).

• Advertisement

I'd just like to add that even though I went public/combined care, I still got a private room on the Merrion Wing. I know its partly because I used to work there, but I still used my health insurance to pay for it. It wouldn't be uncommon for a public patient to get a SPC bed if they have health insurance and ifthey have beds empty. The hospital are losing money whilst those beds are empty. If you do go public, make sure you mention when you go into labour that you have health insurance to cover an SPC bed if they have one available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Ive gone public in the Rotunda twice and now am going semi-private even though I have to go public for a couple of the clinics. I had to pay 1200 at the first visit but everything else is covered by the inusrance. Ive found it a different experience so far going semi but maybe its just im older and wiser. There is nothing wrong with going public and youre still getting the same care but if you can afford it I'd go semi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Found out recently I'm pregnant.

Was going to go public and get combined care but it turns out I'm covered by my vhi for semi-private.

Am I right in thinking the only difference between the two is with semi private you might get a smaller ward and might get the same doctor? You can also avail of the combined care?

Are there any extra costs to me by going semi private?

Thanks

my other half is VHI also and due in April.
    we looked at the semi private option but found out that we had to engage our on consultants at a cost of approx 3k.

then on the day it would make no difference as if our consultant was busy then we would be assigned someone else and also if the semi private ward is full she would be placed in public ward as normal.

IMO, public nurse and mid wives in this country are top notch so we went public with the rotunda and also availing of the Domino scheme.

kceire wrote: »

IMO, public nurse and mid wives in this country are top notch so we went public with the rotunda and also availing of the Domino scheme.

In the public hospitals, the same midwives look after you whether you are public, private or spc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I went public on my first, will be going public on my second (despite having very comprehensive private health insurance). My experience of public maternity services (in Kilkenny hospital) was very good.

My only complaint is that there are not more midwife-led schemes around the country - it would be a much more woman-friendly and cost-effective way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Monkey Business

Hi again everyone,

Got a letter from the hospital with information on it, etc. From what I can gather I am covered by my health insurance for three days stay in hospital.

On the letter from the hospital is says that it's €880 a night in the hospital and they like people to stay 4 nights on their first. There is also something about a €750 charge for prenatal care. So am I right in thinking it'll cost me over €1500 to go semi private?

Are these two charges there for public patients? Is it too late to change to public now after applying for semi-private?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Allyo

You will have to pay that much but check with your health insurance as it may cover you for some of the prenatal care. Also, there might be a possibility that you could get 20% back in tax if you send off a Med 2 form. With public, I don't think you have these costs, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm going semi private in Mount Carmel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no it means you pay the 750 then check your health insurance to see how much of that you can claim back and then claim the rest against your med 1.

In my case I paid 500 this time for sp in Holles St,and my health insurer gives me back 500 euro towards antenatal costs.

Are these two charges there for public patients? Is it too late to change to public now after applying for semi-private?

No charge for going public. If you haven't parted with any money then its never too late to change your mind!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Do you pay the consultant fees in advance? The price list for Holles St says that antenatal consultant fees are €900 payable by patient for SP. I'd like to go SP but I'll need a couple of months to save that up.

I am not sure,both times I have paid on the 1st visit but they might let you spread it out, you would need to ask them.
    Thw 1st visit is usually around 12 weeks pregnant.
    They are really busy in there so booking asap is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Peanut6

I registered with Holles Street there last week, SP, and they informed me that the €900 can be spread over the 3 visits so that's good. When should I register for the ante-natal classes? Should I do that before my first appointment? I'm 6 weeks now...

If you want your partner to go too try register asap though they do not start until you are nearing the end of the pregnancy.

Advertisement