Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Cats Out of My House

Options
  • 14-02-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Now,

I am not a big pet/animal lover, but would not intentionally harm one either and respect all forms of life
    But lately I am having a cat issue.....
    Most people here have given some good examples of keeping cats out of flower beds and gardens etc.

But there are cats in my area that seem to think any opening into my house is an invite to come in. Front door/back door/window
    I think they do this as my neighbour has a number of cats and leaves the window open for them to come and go.

It has happened a few times now but in the past week on two occasions while getting something in the car, or putting my bag in the car to head off to work a cat has decided to go into my house through the hall door. Within seconds of the door opening they are ready to enter. I would like to be able to leave my hall door open for more than 2 mins at a time.
    I am not joking!
    Today I arrived home, while sitting watching telly a cat sits up beside me!
    I just opened the door and entered the house, So I think when the mrs was heading out the cat got in.
    I am concerned about what little presents they may leave me.

Please help.... before I do something I may regret :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

They are honouring you:)

Most cats are house trained anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jdb wrote: »
    Today I arrived home, while sitting watching telly a cat sits up beside me!

Yep, they will do that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Chill out - take it as a compliment that a strange cat wants to sit beside you - they're fussy buggers and once they give your that sort of respect you should be honoured.

If you're lucky they might even take it a step further and start 'padding' (or as I call it 'knitting' or as Eddie Izzard claims - 'drilling for oil') on you - if they do it's the ultimate form of respect - they think you're their mum. Ahhhhh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have one on me right now doing that :D

Then again, this one is mine.

I know my cats pop in to the neighbours house... I suggested he spray water at them if they do. If it comes to it, you could try one of those ultrasonic things but im do not know how effective they are. Supposed to be harmless to the animals.. someone else might be able to supply better info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Just throw a glass of water at them next time they try it before they get near your door. They are smart and will learn pretty fast that your house is not their play area.

And before some people start giving out to me for animal abuse, all the 'animal' people know that the best way to stop a catfight or a dogfight is to throw a bucket of water at them. It does not hurt them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Get one of those spray bottles that are used (by me anyway!) for misting plants and keep it handy.
    It's less messy than a glass of water and can be used inside the house to get them out but the main advantage it has is that the little hissing noise it makes when being used is similar to the sounds cats make when warning each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Saruman wrote: »
    I have one on me right now doing that :D

Then again, this one is mine.

Ahhhh - love it! You know they 'drill for oil' - or the real term as it's more commonly known is 'Milk Padding' is related to their instinct to pad up and down on their mum's tum to to stimulate her milk..

Anyway - yes, I agree - best thing to stop a naughty cat doing something you are not happy about is to give it a quick, shifty squirt of water *note - no 'dousing' or 'drowning'!*. It pisses them off no end and dents their huge egos (but that's why we love puddys ;)) whilst causing no harm and after a while they'll get the message and go back to eating and sleeping and eating and sleeping and.... ;)

Advertisement