Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any1 installing UP on psp's?

Options
  • 26-06-2006 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, I just want to know if there's any1 in Dublin with the proper tools and experience to install this chip (undiluted platinum). It is a very, very fine job and it's not like modding an xbox or a ps2.

dsc002903sx1ku.jpg

(the coin is actually over the place the solder has to be done. there's 8 points to solder there, in the witdth of the side of a 5 cent of euro coin)

Is there anyone capable of doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Why would you want to do this should be a better question. Firmwares up to 2.5 can now be loaded onto a 1.5 firmware PSP with the use of Devhook 0.41d, I can play GTA:LCS and other games that need 2.00 and up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

devhook is fine now, but that mightn't be the case in 6 months time, ( the guy behind devhook might get tired of developing it and concentrate on doing stuff for this new chip). If the guys with the custom firmware are to be believed, they have 2.71 cracked with more features...... These custom firmwares could be very cool. Could have proper media centers built in that support pmp files etc , maybe even xlink kai built in just like it is with xbmc on the xbox. Hopefully it gives the psp a new lease of life. Your best bet will be to buy a psp with the chip installed or find a reliable site that you can post your psp to who will chip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Achilles wrote:
    Why would you want to do this should be a better question. Firmwares up to 2.5 can now be loaded onto a 1.5 firmware PSP with the use of Devhook 0.41d, I can play GTA:LCS and other games that need 2.00 and up...

ehmmm... u know firmware 2.01? i got that one. and regarding devhook, you can play games requiring firmware 2.6 (fifa street 2 and so.)... and i heard that booster (the developer) is working on the 2.71 dump. we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Im gonna give one a shot next week. The soldering does look difficult alright, but not impossible.

Darkmaster2, here u have a tutorial. They say u'll need a microscope or a magnifying lens, low power soldering iron with very fine tip, hot glue for the guides and loads of patience. Hope u post the results!

http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/customer/tutorials/up_installation_guide.pdf

• Advertisement

juanjo wrote:
    Darkmaster2, here u have a tutorial. They say u'll need a microscope or a magnifying lens, low power soldering iron with very fine tip, hot glue for the guides and loads of patience. Hope u post the results!

http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/customer/tutorials/up_installation_guide.pdf

Yeah, i`ll post up the results here, Im looking forward to the challenge :D

Well, I am just after installing the chip.. took a few hours.

I turned on the PSP with L1 held and it boots up as normal.
    other wise its a black screen, which is ok ;)

I managed to dump the original psp firmware (2.6) to a file , worked fine.
    I flashed that 2.6 dump back to the psp, no more black screen and the chip boots the original firmware perfectly.
    Now to find a dump of v1.5 firmware. :confused:

About the installation. The scraping of the traces is the most difficult thing for sure. Spend a LOT of time at that, and don`t do any scraping until you are sure its the right trace.

I won`t know for sure its working 100% until I can get my hands on v1.5 firmware, but its looking good so far.

It was the most difficult piece of soldering I have ever done at home! Not for the faint hearted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Wow - Fair play to ya !!

Keep us posted....

Well, I am just after installing the chip.. took a few hours.

I turned on the PSP with L1 held and it boots up as normal.
    other wise its a black screen, which is ok ;)

I managed to dump the original psp firmware (2.6) to a file , worked fine.
    I flashed that 2.6 dump back to the psp, no more black screen and the chip boots the original firmware perfectly.
    Now to find a dump of v1.5 firmware. :confused:

About the installation. The scraping of the traces is the most difficult thing for sure. Spend a LOT of time at that, and don`t do any scraping until you are sure its the right trace.

I won`t know for sure its working 100% until I can get my hands on v1.5 firmware, but its looking good so far.

It was the most difficult piece of soldering I have ever done at home! Not for the faint hearted!
    You'll find a dump available on either www.psp-hacks.com or www.pspupdates.com

Good luck!

well I found some 1.5 firmware out there and flashed it to the chip. Works flawlessly. Now I can upgrade the psp flash to the latest firmware and keep the chip at 1.5 or use the new epsilon bios (if it ever comes out).

The new downgrader for 2.x PSPs is out which makes this chip rather less exciting than it would have been ;)

• Advertisement

and the new devhook, emulating 2.71 firmware... it is like having the epsilon bios (i heard around that the epsilon bios was a hoax released by the same creators of UP, but u know, who knows...)

juanjo wrote:
    and the new devhook, emulating 2.71 firmware... it is like having the epsilon bios (i heard around that the epsilon bios was a hoax released by the same creators of UP, but u know, who knows...)
    It can?! Awh... sweet! Downloady!

With the UP, you can always keep the newest updated firmware on the psp and firmware always stays 1.5 on the UP chip. makes things a little easier and future proof

With the UP, you can always keep the newest updated firmware on the psp and firmware always stays 1.5 on the UP chip. makes things a little easier and future proof
    Well... not really it only takes a few weeks for the Devhook to be updated to support the latest firmware... it's not firmware emulation, it's actually booting the firmware.

some news to have this updated. epsilon bios did exist, link here to download:

http://psp3d.com/UP_PSP_EpsilonBiOS-v1_1_.0.rar

a couple of things have happened in the scene as well. devhook 0.45 released, it allows you to launch "converted" homebrew in the emulated 2.71 firmware. along with some mods of the "custom firmware proof of concept" created by dark alex, it allows you to emulate 2.71 right from the PSP boot, run the homebrew you want and flick between your owned ISO's right from the emulated XMB.

(devhook 0.45) http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=8955

(Harleyg's custom firmware patch) http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=8890

this firmware patch allows you to start an app. straight after booting the psp, so if you have devhook configured to load the XMB right after starting, you get the same options than you get with the epsilon bios.

(BTW the downgrade came right after I started this thread so no need of UP :D)

No need for the chip, which is what i've been telling people from the start.

Achilles wrote:
    No need for the chip, which is what i've been telling people from the start.

The chip is a complete balls to install anyways :D
    No harm!

darkmaster, u have the up installed right? did u download the epsilon bios? post a review if u can plz!

juanjo wrote:
    darkmaster, u have the up installed right? did u download the epsilon bios? post a review if u can plz!

Yeah, I only have the 1.5 firmware installed at the moment. I`ll install the epsilon as soon as I get my psp back. (went on holidays, and left it there) DOH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kfoxirl

Hey,
    Did Anyone ever find someone to install one of these things ? Im in the Dublin Area but im willing to ship it to get it installed. Have the chip already just dont have the gear needed to install it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement