Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steam engine

Options
  • 19-10-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

I saw the cutest looking steam engine this afternoon. It was in Dundalk station on the "up" side - second track out. It seemed to be minding itself and the only thing attached was a tender filled to the top with coal. I think it's number was 461 as I only saw it from the opposite platforn on the down side .
    Who owns this engine and what is it capable of pulling ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well it should have been pulling a train tomorrow from Belfast to Dundalk and v.v., but I believe she's a bit sick and will be replaced by a diesel instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hee hee ...461 CUTE...lol

rugged and unlovely is nearer the mark (although I love it dearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

corktina wrote: »

Compared to a railcar it is very cute :P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well it should have been pulling a train tomorrow from Belfast to Dundalk and v.v., but I believe she's a bit sick and will be replaced by a diesel instead.

Correct, ran a bearing yet again. With Translinks most experianced steam driver at the regulator these things will happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

It's one of the less-rugged Mogul types I've seen, at least in appearance.

Of course, if anyone on here is rich enough to rebuild 800 and put streamlining on it, go for it...

I don't know about that...the GWR 43xx and the SECR N/U family are very handsome and the LNER K1 family are positively pretty. 461 on the other hand looks like a 0-6-0 on steroids with an extra set of wheels tacked on the front. UK enthusiasts who come across it for the first time tend to be fascinated by it, it is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

UK enthusiasts who come across it for the first time tend to be fascinated by it, it is different

It is an inside cylindered mogul, not too many of those in captivity anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mp171

It was actually built as an 0-6-0 but had too high an axle load so the front axle was shoved in at the last minute

nope, not this one, although that did happen with another Irish class of 2-6-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCR_Class_9J

This 'J 11' Class, some of which were also built by Beyer Peacock, are visually similar. 461 looks to be more 0-6-0 inspired with the pony wheels and slimmer boiler introduced as design modifications to counter the weight limitations which apparently existed on the DSER.

Advertisement