Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Railway - Channel 5 (UK)

Options

Comments

If you have Sky you can manually tune it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Karsini wrote: »
    If you have Sky you can manually tune it in.

I have it on FTA satellite already via a non Sky box Thanks. No need for me to use Sky at all which is very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Channel "105" on Freesat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

At 7pm, also Ch 5 before the above, - 'Monster Moves - Titanic Train : A team of British engineers attempt to haul two A4 Pacific steam locomotives more than 5000 miles across the Atlantic to the National Railway Museum in York.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

I found this while reading this week's TV & Satellite Weekly. This 12 part documentary series appears to be following day to day of the railway companies based in the UK.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-railway-first-great-western?explore_show_page=1&page=1&related=clips#related_contents

The first episode will profile First Great Western this Thursday Evening, August 29, at 8pm on Channel 5.

Do any of you have this channel at home? To me it sounds like a nice program to watch.

Stage managed nonsense, the "stars" will be fools and company yes men who want be on the telly. Any staff who would have made a good programme declined to be involved.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

cbl593h wrote: »
    Stage managed nonsense, the "stars" will be fools and company yes men who want be on the telly. Any staff who would have made a good programme declined to be involved.........:rolleyes:

Watching it now, for those of a sensitive disposition be warned they have mentioned r*ral railways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Watching it now, for those of a sensitive disposition be warned they have mentioned r*ral railways..

I like the bit in the maintenance bay where oodles of fragmented pieces of toilet paper had to be scraped away to reach certain components and one wonders what the disintegration dynamics of 125mph No2's might be as they collide with sleepers and ballast. :D

It was interesting to see how quickly the brake pads could be changed out, and the engines looked very clean and neat and dry. Didn't envy the train managers job on the last train of the night though - seems an awful lot for one person to handle. All in all an interesting programme, not least seeing the Mark 3's still in operation ! :)

It is the same company be profiled again for next week.

It had a lot of interest in it due to the nature of the staff & the way they handled their railway operations.

Looking forward to see it again for the following Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Did anyone see last night's episode at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

This post has been deleted.
    Less maintenance than plug doors. The more machinery, the more stuff that is likely to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Did anyone see last night's episode at all?

i did really enjoyed the travel to glastonbury. its easy watching and looking forward to tonights episode

While I do like this series I am seeing now from the website that the first four episodes so far are only profiling FGW.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-railway-first-great-western/episodes/episode-4-481

Is there any other companies being profiled in this series at all for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

While I do like this series I am seeing now from the website that the first four episodes so far are only profiling FGW.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-railway-first-great-western/episodes/episode-4-481

Is there any other companies being profiled in this series at all for a change.
    No. The series is called The Railway: First Great Western. That's what it's referred to as on its website, in promotion and in its titles. You just assumed (wrongly) that other companies would be profiled, when it was quite clear from the start that this was not the case.

It's possible that Channel 5 might make another series following another TOC, but this series has been pretty boring so far, in fairness, so I can't see much point in doing it all again in another setting.

I thought that this series was going to be ongoing for another 4 weeks. But the last episode of 8 episodes in the series will be shown at 8pm tonight.

One of the thing it will focus on tonight is Meet the Managers on how they deal with the passengers by getting feedback from them by using the FGW service. If you're watching it tonight; you will notice that a lot of the passengers feedback will be quite negative towards them.

I throughly enjoyed every episode the series as it came on every week. I thought the contribution of the staff members was very helpful in terms of knowing how the railways should work in daily life now in the UK.

I also loved the Yorkshire accent from the narrator of the series. I don't know if he is a genuine rail enthusiast at all; it would be nice to know that if he was one.

I thought that this series was going to be ongoing for another 4 weeks. But the last episode of 8 episodes in the series will be shown at 8pm tonight.

One of the thing it will focus on tonight is Meet the Managers on how they deal with the passengers by getting feedback from them by using the FGW service. If you're watching it tonight; you will notice that a lot of the passengers feedback will be quite negative towards them.

I throughly enjoyed every episode the series as it came on every week. I thought the contribution of the staff members was very helpful in terms of knowing how the railways should work in daily life now in the UK.

I also loved the Yorkshire accent from the narrator of the series. I don't know if he is a genuine rail enthusiast at all; it would be nice to know that if he was one.

+ 1. my daughter who is 5 loved staying up to watch it!

series 2 started last week thursday 11th at 8pm

kooga wrote: »
    series 2 started last week thursday 11th at 8pm

Yep but just to clarify your point, the new series began last week on Thursday the 4th of December. The new episode for series will be on this Thursday the 11th of December.

Yep but just to clarify your point, the new series began last week on Thursday the 4th of December. The new episode for series will be on this Thursday the 11th of December.

sorry ! I ment to say started last week I taped it and only got a chance to watch it on Monday night (it was the excitement)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Anyone know how one could watch an episode online?

• Advertisement
Advertisement