Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My tonsillectomy story

• 23-05-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I wanted to post my own story about this. I remember reading these stories before my own surgery and now realising how crazy they where.Prior to this I suffered with tonsillitis, strep, glandular fever, laryngitis for 6 years. On and off for 5 years. But in the last year alone I got all of them one after the other. And couldn't control being sick every few weeks. January 2015 I got rushed to A&E at 3 am in the morning with a throat so sore I couldn't swallow and a face so swollen I couldn't see and blacked out from not breathing once or twice. Due to the large tonsils. Within minutes of arriving to the hospital I developed a rash all over one side of my face. Turns out I had scarlet fever. Very scary I spent a week in hospital. And on antibiotics 3 weeks after. A week later got the same thing back again but not as severe. Again in hospital. And they where still refusing to take my tonsils out at this stage. Another 2 weeks after that. I got strep. Got an ENT appointment. Said I needed them out. I got put on steroids for 6 weeks to stop being sick before the OP.

DAY OF SURGERY.
    checked in to the hospital for 7am. Took about an hour to fill out paperwork and wait Etc... Half 8 and got changed into a gown. Urine sample was taken taken to another operating waiting room where I met the surgeon again and the doctors looking after me through out the surgery. I asked so many questions!! Don't be afraid. Finally walked into the operating room layed down. (This was the part I was terrified about) nurse was talking to me the entire time was fine they hooked me up to machines and put need in my left hand. Still awake. Started to feel sleepy and my eyes where closing. Think it took two seconds and I was gone. Btw you go asleep with your mouth closed a pillow under your head and a blanket over you. I always wondered what would happen.
    Woke up in recovery for 9.30am was TERRIFIED!! To swallow when I woke up. No initial pain when I woke up which I didn't expect. When I swallowed it was sore but just like having a cold kind of sore. Only spent 20 mins in recovering and got brought to my ward. I stayed overnight. I was drinking water straight away and it was fine!! An hour later got given tea and toast Thai was not so great managed to eat the parts with the butter and that was about it. Then got given ice cream and jelly instead which I managed to eat about half. The day if surgery wasn't bad at all. Day after I woke up at 5am and had to ask for a pain killer pain was at about a 6. Went home that day and was pretty dehydrated and sick this was the hospitals fault as I was not given enough water or food. Had to go back to my own doctor who gave me an injection for the pain ask I was to sick to swallow tablets. Slept all night woke up and was drinking and eating fine again. First few days where okay again pain was about a 6 so not to bad. I found the pain killer wasn't great and didn't really help me.so yesterday I got stronger ones. Which have worked really well!! And also help me sleep during the day too. Pain last night and today have reached an 8/9 but once you take the pain killer it helps a lot. I can feel the scabs slowly coming off now and my throat seems to be healing.
    I think the secret to my throat healing so quickly is DRINK DRINK DRINK!!! Not even to keep you hydrated but it also really does help with the pain. I drink at least 10 large glasses of water a day on day 3 I also discovered coca cola is your life saver!! My doctor recommended this it gets rid of any coating In your mouth and any phlegm and feels wonderful!! :)
    Days 2-8 where the worst and on day 8 something magical happened and the pain stopped. I'm now on day 16 after surgery. And I am due back in work in two days. My throat still feels a bit raw but again this will heal. I finally see the light and the end of this horrible tunnel. It's honestly not half as bad as you think. And what people are going to tell
    You. Just remember to drink it's the only thing that helps :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Totally agree I had my tonsils out and didn't drink or eat as much as I should have afterwards as a result I was in agony for over two weeks and my throat healed much slower than It should have. It might feel like the last thing you want to do but do eat and drink it's better than any pain killers in the long run 😊

Advertisement