Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Graveyard in Rosbrien

Options
  • 05-04-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Does anyone remember a childrens graveyard in Rosbrien that was located just after the railway gates in the triangle where the Rosbrien road goes to the right and the mill road went off to the left. I think it was last used in the late 50s but I am not sure. I have searched online but have got no information, not even a name. If anyone has anyone has information or links it would be great.

0mjpEwz.jpg

gikO5Cc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If coming from the railway gates it was in the field just after Millbrook Cottage, on your left hand side. I heard it was a famine graveyard? My relatives lived there and sometimes came across the bones so it must have been a very old graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you're a Twitter user I suggest you follow/ask @Limerickslife or check her website

Wow. I grew up a stones throw away from there and never heard of this. Must ask the mother about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I asked my grandfather about the graveyard, he grew up in the area and his family were the a while before that. When he was growing up (late 20s and 30s) he always remembers the graveyard and a small church being in ruins. While there were no official burials there that he remembers he did say that it was used unofficially for burial of un-baptised children by people who wanted them buried on holy ground. He is pretty sure that it is called St Dominicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

I asked my grandfather about the graveyard, he grew up in the area and his family were the a while before that. When he was growing up (late 20s and 30s) he always remembers the graveyard and a small church being in ruins. While there were no official burials there that he remembers he did say that it was used unofficially for burial of un-baptised children by people who wanted them buried on holy ground. He is pretty sure that it is called St Dominicks.

St Dominic's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Thanks a million for all the information, I really appreciate it. Now I must go there and take a look around. Thank you

Advertisement