Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what flies for a wild trout in a lake

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

i am going fishing a wild brown trout lake this week and i want to know what flies might work i will be fishing from the bank and it is a good smallish lake any tip on whith flies might work will be welcome
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

My three fly set up would be
    top - Green Peter
    middle kate McLaren
    Point - buzzer/hares ear nymph

Other patterns that would be good; bibio, golden olive bumble, butcher, claret bumble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

fontanalis wrote: »

Other patterns that would be good; bibio, golden olive bumble, butcher, claret bumble

+1000!!! The only one I'd add to that would be a Black Pennell. I've caught about 90% of all the trout I've ever caught on small lakes with just them flies. Classics for a reason

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Here's 4 flies all with a dual use :
    Hares ear nymph gets them if they're eating shrimp or water louse,
    black & peacock spider all dark bugs like eg black chironomis pupae
    either woolley worm or woolly bugger for caddis larva in case, or dragonfly and damselfly nymphs
    a streamer to imitate local fry, eg alexandra or polystickle for sticklebacks or minnow, or white marabou muddler for roach, bream and rudd fry

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

thanks lads. i will be fishing the lake on tuesday and i will post what i get i will tie a few of the flies and try them

i got 1 trout he was full of water louse and he had 3 newts in his stomach the lake was full of trout but thay just were not taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Where were you fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

i got 1 trout he was full of water louse and he had 3 newts in his stomach the lake was full of trout but thay just were not taking

What did you get the trout on?

i was fishing a small lake in west cork and i got the trout on a hares ear

It's the great early season choice!

when i was fishing this lake thare was a good few trout taking on the surface but thare was no hatch and i didnt see any thing on the water does any one know what thay were taking

• Advertisement

Some midges would hatch every day of the year, no matter how cold.
    So I expect they were taking small chironomids (midge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corkagh park fishery

i was fishing a small lake in west cork and i got the trout on a hares ear

Does the season open on this lake before March?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Does the season open on this lake before March?

All other major loughs are open around there now so it more than likely is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

when i was fishing this lake thare was a good few trout taking on the surface but thare was no hatch and i didnt see any thing on the water does any one know what thay were taking

Probbaly sub surface midges. Try to get suspended buzzers or shipmans buzzers, had great luck on a version a few years ago.

Advertisement