Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deviated nasal septum - rhinoplasty

Options
  • 15-05-2015 10:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I'm not sure if this belongs here but it seemed like the most obvious place.

I'm 28 years old and I've had a deviated septum all my life. One nostril does not have much air flow and i tend to get nose bleeds from the other side now and again. There is also a cosmetic element as the DS makes my lower nose look a bit to one side.

I've recently been thinking that it's something I'd like to correct as it is annoying. There is also a bony bump on my nose that is more to the left than to the right which doesn't help either. I'd consider getting pared down if possible.

I was wondering if anyone has had this done and what their experieces have been like. What are the costs, recovery times, success rates etc? Would the DS part be covered by medical card or any insurance plans? Has anyone had the bone shaved in addition to correcting a DS?

Is there anyone in the Cork area that is sufficiently competent in this type of work. Or would I have to go further afield. I don't want to travel abroad for it just in case there were any complications, I'd prefer to get it done closer to home.

I'm a bit clueless in all this. All of your advice and experiences are gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I've been to a GP yesterday for some other stuff. I mentioned the DS to them. They had a look and said it is a DS as suspected. he was not sure but it might be covered on medical card if it were causing me breathing difficulties, which it does from time to time.

He said, if I want, he can refer me to a surgeon who's based in the Elysian who does this type of work.
    I won't mention the name but some of you might know who we are referring to.

Has anyone any experieces or know anything about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I've been to a GP yesterday for some other stuff. I mentioned the DS to them. They had a look and said it is a DS as suspected. he was not sure but it might be covered on medical card if it were causing me breathing difficulties, which it does from time to time.

He said, if I want, he can refer me to a surgeon who's based in the Elysian who does this type of work.
    I won't mention the name but some of you might know who we are referring to.

Has anyone any experieces or know anything about this ?

Cant help with the cosmetic side of things, but have had a DS op done here in Dublin but I have VHI so it was done privately. As far as the op went, it was ok, woke up with 2 large tampons stuck up each nostril ! some surgeons do it as a day case, but I was kept in overnight. I looked a sight for sore eyes for 10 days and it was a huge relief to get the tampons out and my breathing is 100% better.

Thanks!
    How long did it take for the swelling to go down? How long did you have to take off work? How much did it cost? I don't have insurance at the minute but even if I were to take it out now, I'm not sure whether it would cover it if I deceided to do it this summer. Maybe I should have asked the GP.

Did you have any trouble with bleeding after?

Thanks!
    How long did it take for the swelling to go down? How long did you have to take off work? How much did it cost? I don't have insurance at the minute but even if I were to take it out now, I'm not sure whether it would cover it if I deceided to do it this summer. Maybe I should have asked the GP.

Did you have any trouble with bleeding after?

The swelling was very obvious for about a week and gradually settled after that, the only hard part was the nasal tampons especially getting them out but the discomfort only lasted a few seconds. I had minimal amount of bleeding & just a 'snotty' nose for 2 weeks. I was given 2 weeks off work which was paid leave. I dont think that if you took out Health Ins now that it would be covered but you could always check. If you decide to self pay, dont hesitate to ring around a few of the private hospitals as the price may differ significantly.

Although I don't want to be paying grossly extortionate fees for the procedure, I'd also not be keen on anything very cheap either.

My main criteria is that whatever surgeon I go with is suitably competent and very experienced in whatever procedure is to be undertaken. Last thing I want is to get something done at a "good" price and end up with a fúcked up job being done.

• Advertisement

Although I don't want to be paying grossly extortionate fees for the procedure, I'd also not be keen on anything very cheap either.

My main criteria is that whatever surgeon I go with is suitably competent and very experienced in whatever procedure is to be undertaken. Last thing I want is to get something done at a "good" price and end up with a fúcked up job being done.

Absolutely agree with you. The surgeon I used was Rory McConn Walsh

Can I contact him directly through his consultancy or would I need a referral?
    Any ideas as to his initial consultation fee?

The GP offered me a referral to Mr Eoin O'Broin here in Cork. He is based in the Elysian and he is €120 for the initial consultation. I think I will pay him a visit and just get his opinion and recommendation on my issue. Anybody have any experieces of this consultants work? Can PM with with any info please.

Was away on holidays in London over the weekend and got another torrential nosebleed in the hotel. I had my mind half set on spending €5000 changing my car this summer but at this point I'm increasingly leaning towards getting my nose problem sorted instead, I feel that money would better spent on correcting my nose. What's more I was looking through the photos this morning and the skew/bump looks absolutely desperate, worse than I thought. : (

Can I contact him directly through his consultancy or would I need a referral?
    Any ideas as to his initial consultation fee?

The GP offered me a referral to Mr Eoin O'Broin here in Cork. He is based in the Elysian and he is €120 for the initial consultation. I think I will pay him a visit and just get his opinion and recommendation on my issue. Anybody have any experieces of this consultants work? Can PM with with any info please.

Was away on holidays in London over the weekend and got another torrential nosebleed in the hotel. I had my mind half set on spending €5000 changing my car this summer but at this point I'm increasingly leaning towards getting my nose problem sorted instead, I feel that money would better spent on correcting my nose. What's more I was looking through the photos this morning and the skew/bump looks absolutely desperate, worse than I thought. : (

As far as I am aware you would have to have a GP referral but see how you get on with the guy in Cork (I see he is a plastic surgeon as opposed to an ENT surgeon) and maybe go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Missym15

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Cant help with the cosmetic side of things, but have had a DS op done here in Dublin but I have VHI so it was done privately. As far as the op went, it was ok, woke up with 2 large tampons stuck up each nostril ! some surgeons do it as a day case, but I was kept in overnight. I looked a sight for sore eyes for 10 days and it was a huge relief to get the tampons out and my breathing is 100% better.

What's your surgeons name please?

Advertisement