Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Name my Tarantula for me!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

John Malkovich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Its a brazillian spider yeah? How about...

Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I'd be interested to see the pics.. and gummy or fluffy are the best names so far imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ARACHNOR

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I cant get a decent pic of the damn thing!!!!!It wont stay still---As soon as I open the cage it runs off and hides.
    Ill get it tonight though;) ;);)

Btw is anyone interested in buying a Tarantula.Im looking for a second one now but if I buy 6 spiderlings Ill get a massive discount.Ill sell them for what I get them for.I may even keep 2 more for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok I got some photos----Not the best quality cos I havent figured out how to photo something thats moving quickly.I had to take these on the sly.The last one is really bad but Ive only left it in for sizing purposes.The cap in the picture is off a 7up bottle,so you know how big the spider is.

Dont know how to upload multiple attachments so heres Number 2

Number 3!!!!!!!!!

And finally!!!!!!

So you can imagine that its body is roughly the size of a bottle top and its legs extend about 1cm all around after that.Ill try to get more pics when I have time!!!
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

No name just signs for the tank;
    "Aracnid Maximus Habitus"
    "This bitch bites"
    "Gone for lunch, back at 2, %NAME%"
    "If tank is empty call 999 and run"
    "You think I'm big? Loook behind you!"
    "Do not pet"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

IraqNed
    Orfeo Negro (he's black and Brazilian, inn'e)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Sorry Shaman "de-fanging" a tarantula is a myth.How would the thing eat its natural food??????????And its captive bred so I havent a clue what you`re talking about---Illegal export????
    The only species as far as I know which is Cites protected is the Mexican Redknee due to the fact that Americans were collecting them for pets while they were on holidays in Mexico.As for venom no-one has ever been killed by a Tarantula.
    Richie
    The oter fangs to administer poison, though I suppose they wudn't defang pet most tarantulas cos their poison only hurts about as much as a bee sting. And if you do annoy a tarantula enough to get bitten in the first place, you deserve it.

Originally posted by SHAMAN
    The oter fangs to administer poison, though I suppose they wudn't defang pet most tarantulas cos their poison only hurts about as much as a bee sting. And if you do annoy a tarantula enough to get bitten in the first place, you deserve it.

Have me lost there Shaman!!!!!!!"the oter fangs" Maybe you mean outer.You cannot defang any Spider without killing the animal.It would be like removing your lower jaw.How would you feel if someone did that.And even if you did manage to remove its fangs they would grow back at the next moult.So its a pointless exercise.
    Spiders may not be the nicest pets to some but they are definately an unusual one!!!!!!!And why would you want a pet that cannot eat.Part of the attraction is watching the spider hunt/eat.And another part is that IT IS a small bit scary when an eight inch spider is walking up your arm and you know that that spiders jaws can actually tear a hole in your arm the size of a euro coin.The bite will still hurt and you will react to the venom but you wont die.
    Even the spiders whose venom may be a bit more potent are not de-fanged(Some people keep trapdoor spiders which are highly poisonous!!!!!).Its your fault if you are stupid enough to put your hand in their cage when you know what its capable of.
    Check out www.bugsdirectuk.com and youll see that they even sell Funnel web spiders and Golden orb spiders.
    Nasty ****ers some of these are!!!!!!!
    Richie.

On another note I dont know how to add a poll to this site but the top names so far are.

1.Fluffy
    2.Fang
    3.Gummy
    4.Arachne
    5.Alice(My daughter insisted I add that one in)

I prefer fang myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Originally posted by DeVore
    Peter Parker!

YES!¬

******GUESS WHAT*******
    My tarantula moulted last night--absolutely the most amazing thing to watch.
    Yesterday around 3.00 I noticed that it was lying on its back so I thought ah well better find another one to fill that cage;) ;)
    but it wasnt dead.Its skin split on its back and it took about 9 hours to emerge.As for the size difference-amazing it grew from a 2.5 inch leg span to nearly 4 inches so it looks a lot like that monster that its going to be now.
    Amazing!!!!!!
    By the way Koneko if you are around-Are you still interested in a Tarantula of your own.Ive hopefully a few SURPLUS arriving in the next week or so if you are interested.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

my friend has just read your post and he wants to know if you can film the next moulting and show it on the web, he he!!! (and i wouldnt put it past you, hell raizer!!!!)

have u named it yet?
    did u call it fluffy?

Theres already a moult on the web www.tarantulacam.com Well it used to be on that page.And btw we think its finally called "fang" or " memnoch" like Anne Rices devil in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

satan is always a good name.
    or 'hairy'

by the way, as far i know you dont defang spiders, you just take out their poison glands.

and the aouth american turantula is poisonous and people have died from it, but you would have to be young or very weak as its not that dangerous.

now your red-back spiders, i could tell you stories about playing with them out the back of my house in australia when i was younger.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

by the way, as far i know you dont defang spiders, you just take out their poison glands.

Sorry WWM you cant remove their poison gland(Its buried in their jaw and too small to remove and would grow back if it survived the surgery to remove it)
    Although the only ones which will cause any major problems are the South Asian/African tarantulas.These will put you into a coma but still very rarely kill.The South american ones bites`are like bee-stings but will not kill or cause any unwanted effects( even the more aggressive ones).There are 800+ species of Tarantulas in the world and there are no documented deaths from any Tarantula bite not even a child or weak person.

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Theres already a moult on the web www.tarantulacam.com Well it used to be on that page.And btw we think its finally called "fang" or " memnoch" like Anne Rices devil in the books.

????? im confused....have you not decided yet? (ah go on....victoria beckham would be a lovely name for a spider.....madonna....geri halliwell...please!!!!!)

• Advertisement

No still deciding
    My daughter wants fang and my wife likes Memnoch.Id prefer to know whether its male or female before naming it.
    Still both of the above names could in theory be uni-sex names.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Fluffy would have to be the best IMO or somthing along the lines of that e.g. fluffles

Just to keep you all informed I had another moult last night-unexpected so I couldnt get the pics someone requested.From 4 inches to almost 6 legspan.Almost big enough to start eating locusts;) ;);) or small mice.

And for everyone whos interested in bites heres a new report.

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/poec.html

The spider in question is an Indian Ornamental which supposedly has the worst bite of any of the "pet" tarantulas EVEN causing coma in healthy adults.The import of this species is now being questioned as it seems to be only a matter of time before some child gets a bite and dies from it.

BTW Almost 90% sure its a female so its now "Fluffy"
    Richie

i feel honoured!!!!!
    *takes a bow*

(i did suggest that didnt i?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

If ya find a hubby for her, call him Mr. T

Updated pics of "FLUFFY" especially for The Drowner!!!!!!!!!!!!

And 1 more.The Tarantula is about 5-6 inches in size now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nikkie

Call him Spike!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

by the way: I heard that some of the everday harmless spiders running around the place actually have deadly venom, but their fangs can't pierce human skin (plus they don't go round biting people anyway).

Kaelen
    Arch Araachnid
    Taurantaurellion
    Kmos Q
    ven m.s.
    Clark Kent
    Crusader
    Runandhideandgetemwhentheyresleeping
    Quark
    Morpheous
    Neo
    Trinity
    The bad guy in the Matrix
    8leggedfreak
    Bloodypousineous watch out
    Ben Gore
    Gore
    Triplicit
    Jet Li
    Getting carried away
    Jack
    Paul Phoenix
    Stopping now............
    Rhesus
    ok ok okk ookok ok:confused::( :cool: :eek: eek:confused::o:(;):D:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

On a more serious note:
    How about;
    Jaws(don't go for it myself(more of a shark name really) but some people might)
    Daredevil
    Matrix ??
    XXX ??

Also to the person who said that if a tarantualla could survive having it's poison glands removed they would grow back, how do you know that?

name for a piranha...vischy(across between vicious and fish)

Advertisement