Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia vRS vs VW Passat R-Line

• 26-01-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So what is better value for money? I'm looking for a new 2.0 diesel DSG VW Passat R-line or Skoda Octavia vRS and can't really select the one. Both are similar on price and specs. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The vRS is a different kettle of fish to the R-Line Passat. The vRS has 170bhp and is a poky diesel hot hatchback. The R-Line Passat is just a sporty trim level on the regular saloon Passat, nothing special really. R-Line is down on power too as most are 110bhp or the odd 140bhp. The Octavia by the way is from the class below the Passat and more a rival to the Golf.

The two cars really are not directly comparable. So it depends on what your preferences are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When you say similar spec....have you a link to the two cars in question.

One is a normal car with a lip kit, and the other is a half decent 170bhp motor.
    I'd buy the vrs all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

The new vRS has 184bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 vshastak

Over last 7 years I had Chrysler Voyager until the day I crashed (rolled over) because of a number of horses on the road in dark. So now I'm in search for new wheels. It has to be a DSG box, definetely not a small car as I love having a bit of vehicle weight which gives me a feeling of safety and security. At the same time I would like to have a good torque, comfort, nice extras but not overloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe a skoda superb of some sort might fit the bill?

Just on the weight thing, the voyager had plenty but isn't regarded as being safe. The new octavia is lighter than the old one through clever design.
    This feeling is subjective anyway, but a regular car will instantly seem more sturdy than your old one.

• Advertisement

If you are talking brand new then it should also be noted that the Passat is now going on 8 years old and will be replaced with a new model early next year whereas the Octavia model is only about 6 months old.

I'd have a look at the Seat Leon FR also, same engine as the vRS and arguably better looking.

Hmmm. Never thought of Seats. I'll have a look now. So far I can see I should forget about Passat and look further.

vshastak wrote: »
    Hmmm. Never thought of Seats. I'll have a look now. So far I can see I should forget about Passat and look further.

Just saying it's getting on a bit and not really comparable to the vRS or Leon FR. It's a large saloon, the others are medium hatchbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-awd/6145375

Buy a volvo, kill the horses that way

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just saying it's getting on a bit and not really comparable to the vRS or Leon FR. It's a large saloon, the others are medium hatchbacks.

Would agree with that. More I think about it Octavia vRS should be a good choice. Passat even with R-line ext and int looks still a bit dull. vRS does look sportish. Ok, Skodas are missing on some standart extras but they are so cheap to add to the spec. Just started to think about resale value of the car after 3 years. I believe vRS will hold to its value as good as VW.

Superb looks a bit outdated or it's missing something. It doesn't look very modern or stylish imho.

But its huge.

Buy a volvo, kill the horses that way

Ya, it's not the worst choice and very safe and solid. Actually I'm very lucky that I didn't hit the horse. Old car is written off and I've got a plate in my neck.

I'd rather look for something new with the warranty than the 4-years old and probably with the towbar at the back which was pullling horse boxes day and night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Depends on your age really imo. A vrs would be more suited to a younger person, not a man in his mid 60's! That's who you'd expect to see driving the passat. (Stereotypical... ageist... my pointless 2 cents...i know..) Hope i'm not asking for trouble :P

No, you're fine ;) I'm 37 and I like good torque with practicality of the car in general. Even my Chrysler I had remapped and I absolutely loved it for its room and comfort and sufficient power for over 2 tonnes weight (174 bhp). But kids are grown now and I can do with smaller car so I'm in search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ryan84465

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah great, you've told us enough times, did you notice that all your posts are being deleted?

Why are they being deleted I am only telling my experience with the skoda, Sorry to bore you when i didnt see the post i thought it didnt work,:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ryan84465 wrote: »
    Why are they being deleted I am only telling my experience with the skoda, Sorry to bore you when i didnt see the post i thought it didnt work,:pac:

They are being deleted as we do not tolerate
    - people signing up just to bash brands/ businesses
    - people resurrecting ancient threads
    - people posting on multiple threads over the same issues

One more of these threads and you will be banned!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement