Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005 Mercedes Sprinter - Auto headlights on.

• 25-01-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

I recently replaced my 2001 MB 313 LWB with a 2005 model. I foolishly left the Owners Manual in the van I traded. Anyway the headlights, sidelights & rear lights are set to come on when the ignition is turned on.

How do I disable the auto-on function?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Might be on the normal light switch, usually has parking lights, driving lights and then auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remember we had an 04 sprinter at work, think they were just set like that regardless of where the switch was,

No harm having them on anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Might be on the normal light switch, usually has parking lights, driving lights and then auto.

No. the only difference between the old one and this one is the electric windows & mirrors. The sticks on the steering column are the same and no auto.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I remember we had an 04 sprinter at work, think they were just set like that regardless of where the switch was,

No harm having them on anyway?

I don't disagree at all. Its just to be able to disable the function from late Spring onwards when there's really no need for full headlights on a big white van !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think there's a relay you can remove, or a setting on the instrument cluster the dealer can enable,
    The fact is though, it is safer to have them on, even on a van. I haven't got the figures to hand, but it reduces the chances of an incident in broad daylight by something like 7%
    Wet weather and darker conditions see a bigger %.
    Telecom Eireann did a study on this ages ago with their vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think there's a relay you can remove, or a setting on the instrument cluster the dealer can enable,
    The fact is though, it is safer to have them on, even on a van. I haven't got the figures to hand, but it reduces the chances of an incident in broad daylight by something like 7%
    Wet weather and darker conditions see a bigger %.
    Telecom Eireann did a study on this ages ago with their vans.

I remember my grandad, a retired ESB area electrician saying that it was company policy to have the headlights on all the time since the 70s. Same idea, reduce accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I had one of these and a couple of 0814's also. They are a delivered from the factory like this ie.lighth on with ignition. To disable this when they ate being pdi'd they just take out a fuse in the board in the glovebox. Safer to leave it as is tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks for all your input, guys. The van will be going for a comprehensive check-up and service in the next 2 weeks. The boss of the commercial service centre I go to has over 20yrs working on MB commercial vehicles and is fully MB qualified. I'll ask him the question as well !!!

Advertisement