Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis 2011 model

Options
  • 24-01-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading from a 06 diesel Avensis to 2011 model, I know the owner of the car and looks like its a save enough buy.

I drove the car and just not sure . It seems the 06 Avensis would be better built car. Anyone have the new model or drives the new model that can offer any insights in to its reliability ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

No real horror stories about the latest Avensis to be fair, but if you're just not sure then don't do it, no point in being out a lot of money for something you don't really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

What is putting you off OP?
    Also what is making you tempted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Great car and a vast improvement on the one that came before apart from the stupid handbrake mechanism on earlier models (not quite manual handbrake not quite modern automatic)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In the family we have a Mk2 Avensis and a Mk3. The Mk2 has well over 150 k miles on the clock, and although it needed a new gearbox, it has never gone wrong otherwise. The Mk3 model has had an airbag fault, the trim is falling apart in various places, and the entrie front of the car needed a respray and new doors, because of a design fault which meant there was a hole in the doors and if left unattended, the doors would have bent out of shape!

It looks and feels cheap and nasty inside. It doesn't ride as well as the older car and the seats aren't as comfortable. The electric handbrake is a pain.

I can't understand how so many people buy these pieces of crap, it is so far off the pace compared to a Passat or Mondeo. The older car is far better - a proper competitor to a Mondeo or Passat from that era - hold on to it.

Toyota quality and reliability is totally overrated in my opinion, especially on the newer models. Most cars are very reliable and trouble free if serviced on time and by a competant mechanic (something many Irish people are not too good at unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, why not look at the Hyundai i40, way better packaged car imo. It's a pitty it only comes in 1.7 diesel though.

• Advertisement

or a mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Thanks for the input guys! Just the 06 model feels more solid car. The roads I drive are pretty country and thus would test a car suspension and body and I do between 15 and 20k a year . The MKIII model just feels light. Then again I have not test drove anything else to compare it with as I always had an Avensis.

I will definitely take a test drive in a Mondeo or Passat. What way are they in fuel economy ? I have a budget of between 12 and 14000 and I would hope to get 3 or 4 for my own. I see an Opel insignia yesterday. Any thoughts on them ?

Thanks again :)

One thing I will say is driving a mark3 avensis 1.6, I thought the car was streets ahead of mine (mark 2 1.6) in terms of power and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

In the family we have a Mk2 Avensis and a Mk3. The Mk2 has well over 150 k miles on the clock, and although it needed a new gearbox, it has never gone wrong otherwise. The Mk3 model has had an airbag fault, the trim is falling apart in various places, and the entrie front of the car needed a respray and new doors, because of a design fault which meant there was a hole in the doors and if left unattended, the doors would have bent out of shape!

It looks and feels cheap and nasty inside. It doesn't ride as well as the older car and the seats aren't as comfortable. The electric handbrake is a pain.

I can't understand how so many people buy these pieces of crap, it is so far off the pace compared to a Passat or Mondeo. The older car is far better - a proper competitor to a Mondeo or Passat from that era - hold on to it.

Toyota quality and reliability is totally overrated in my opinion, especially on the newer models. Most cars are very reliable and trouble free if serviced on time and by a competant mechanic (something many Irish people are not too good at unfortunately).

is the mk2 avensis petrol? it is normally the gearbox bearings which go in these, they are not expensive to replace.

on the mk3 it is very common for the front doors to crack around the check strap which requires the doors to be replaced and repainted if the car is under warranty, airbag faults are also fairy common on this model, which means you have to replace the airbag itself in the front seats, i would agree wit u that the mk3 avensis are not what toyota build used to be.... alot of them faults are sorted in the facelift model...

all cars have there own faults, while the passat and mondeo may feel like a much more quality car from the inside, they too have there problems.....flywheels which can be expensive to fix ..... also on the 1.6 tdi passat egr coolers are quiet common to give trouble...

and insignia's also know for flywheels needing to be replaced one thing u wont get in an avensis.....

did u consider a honda accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

supervento wrote: »
    is the mk2 avensis petrol? it is normally the gearbox bearings which go in these, they are not expensive to replace.

on the mk3 it is very common for the front doors to crack around the check strap which requires the doors to be replaced and repainted if the car is under warranty, airbag faults are also fairy common on this model, which means you have to replace the airbag itself in the front seats, i would agree wit u that the mk3 avensis are not what toyota build used to be.... alot of them faults are sorted in the facelift model...

all cars have there own faults, while the passat and mondeo may feel like a much more quality car from the inside, they too have there problems.....flywheels which can be expensive to fix ..... also on the 1.6 tdi passat egr coolers are quiet common to give trouble...

and insignia's also know for flywheels needing to be replaced one thing u wont get in an avensis.....

did u consider a honda accord?

Yeah the Mk2 Avensis was petrol. It was the bearings alright, unfortunately we left it too late and the gearbox was fubared!

The Mk3 is a very cheaply made car, even my parents, who will only drive Toyotas and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread agree that the Mk2 is much more solid. Fortunately the problem with the doors occurred before the car went out of warranty.

I agree that there are problems with any car, but some people mistakenly believe that by buying a Toyota you won't have any faults with them, which is not the case. And having driven the Toyota, Mondeo and Passat, there is no comparison between the Toyota and the other two - it's so far off the pace. The Mondeo is my favourite because the handling is superb for front wheel drive saloon, it's so light on its feel on back roads yet it feels like a big solid car on motorways and main roads and the steering feel is far superior to the VW's, but the Passat is quieter and has a nicer interior.

The current model Mondeo is a very reliable car (apart from DMF failure with the 1.8 TDCi), and in fairness I haven't heard of any problems with the Passat ever since they switched to the CR diesels. The early B6s were terrible, all kinds of problems, especially the electronic parking brake.

In terms of family cars, a 2.0 TDCi current model Mondeo is about as reliable as they get (unless you buy a Honda Accord but they cost a lot more money) once it's serviced on time, though a 2.0 TDI CR Passat B7 will last the distance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading from a 06 diesel Avensis to 2011 model, I know the owner of the car and looks like its a save enough buy.

I drove the car and just not sure . It seems the 06 Avensis would be better built car. Anyone have the new model or drives the new model that can offer any insights in to its reliability ?

Thanks

Well. Just wondering what you ended up buying and how is it? I'm looking at 2011 Avensis now too, but like you are also looking at mondeo and insignia?? Hard to decide!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tcow wrote: »
    Well. Just wondering what you ended up buying and how is it? I'm looking at 2011 Avensis now too, but like you are also looking at mondeo and insignia?? Hard to decide!!

The OP created this thread over 2 years ago. Probably better off PMing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I have run an 2008 d4d (old shape) and 2010 d4d (new shape). Put up 160k and 230k on each car.

Neither car ever needed anything other than service....

The later model is the better car IMHO.

There are loads for sale 2nd hand in Toyota dealers - so test drive one to see what they feel like compared to the 2011 you are considering.

Hi,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Good question , never changed , but just totalled my 2006 avensis , so have to change , I am looking at 2013 Corolla 1.4 diesel , lot of pep in it and feels solid

Anyone here care to give there impression of Corolla 2013 up words

Advertisement