Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car for the father :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Getting the blanks removed is not a huge job, probably a few hundred euro including the blanking flaps. If you buy from someone who knows their BMWs then chances are they are already removed.

Turbo breather filter is the other big thing to do, needs to be changed every 2nd or 3rd oil service to avoid a blockage which will starve the turbo of oil. ABS traction control unit is another common fault on them but they can be reconditioned these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There is also a 318d on DD as well, 2005 or 6 can't remember.
    These have about 120bhp.
    Would it be a better compromise over the 1.9TDI A4?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

bear1 wrote: »
    Originally the 2.0TDI was looked at, but they have some bad reviews which chocolate cams, the oil pump problem which the 1.9 doens't suffer from.
    The risks were too great to think about spending so much money on a car that in the back of your mind knew suffered these problems.
    Would the 115bhp A4 be really noticeable that it's got less power?
    I mean for motorway cruising and overtaking quickly situations.

Id go for the 1.9. Probably about 05. Hard to find with low mileage.

Chocolate what now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

If it were me I'd get a 2004-2005 BMW e46, go for the 330D, it might be high tax but it's a great car, efficient and durable, will run forever if you look after it, last of the great BMW'S imo.

If you could get this down a bit cheaper then it might be worth looking into. Mileage is above average for the year but the car is relatively fresh, recently had a timing belt change and the D5 is a very tried and tested 5 cylinder lump. Volvos are also very comfortable cruisers, was a passenger in a similar car in London with higher mileage and it was still a very tight car. As that was one of the last of that model it probably has a lot of bugs ironed out from earlier versions.

26121605.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5-2008/6272077

• Advertisement

Id go for the 1.9. Probably about 05. Hard to find with low mileage.

Chocolate what now? :confused:

Camshafts :) I believe the shortcut is Cam or Cams
    nerobert wrote: »
    If it were me I'd get a 2004-2005 BMW e46, go for the 330D, it might be high tax but it's a great car, efficient and durable, will run forever if you look after it, last of the great BMW'S imo.

Unfortunately there are nearly non around.
    There is one on DD which is about 1.5k over budget and the others are 40 odd days old so may as well not count them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you could get this down a bit cheaper then it might be worth looking into. Mileage is above average for the year but the car is relatively fresh, recently had a timing belt change and the D5 is a very tried and tested 5 cylinder lump. Volvos are also very comfortable cruisers, was a passenger in a similar car in London with higher mileage and it was still a very tight car. As that was one of the last of that model it probably has a lot of bugs ironed out from earlier versions.

26121605.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5-2008/6272077

Would this be in the CC tax or Co2?
    Always liked the S60, about 180bhp right?

I think they are 186bhp, you would imagine the first owner would have put it on the cheaper tax system. I think they were about €570 on the Co2 system.

186 horses is quite a lot.. She would be a hell of a motorway eater anyway.

So here is the general consensus thus far:

The Lexus - I'm mostly seeing as a negative choice, which is such a damn pity as the it has everything - the heated/cooled seats alone would sway me.
    The Alfa - hmmm I think I may get him to take a look at it considering many cars used that engine in some form or another.
    The Beemer - General thoughts are the 320d (this is the SE variant whatever spec that is) is a good car with some niggles that would need to be sorted
    The Audi - Handles well, horsepower isn't as big a factor as one is to believe, 1.9 a better choice to the 2.0
    The Saab - nice sleeper and seems to have aged quite well.

In terms of resale value it's looking like the Beemer and Audi come up trumps.
    MPG wise, any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Depends on the draw of the dice tbh, I had a near 250k Alfa JTD which wasn't costing me much in repairs.
    Purely out of interest was that a 2.4 or 1.9 JTD?
    Just the usual so it's more to do with how the previous owner took care of it IMO
    That's key. I know I contradicted myself earlier but I'm happy to buy a well cared for car over a low mileage equivalent.

The Saab - nice sleeper and seems to have aged quite well.
    They're vile inside with cheap and nasty plastics. I've tried on many occasion to forgive them that fault but it's simply impossible. The seats are nice mind.

What about a Vectra with the 1.9CDTI engine (same as the 159)? I'd imagine you'd get a newer low mileage example and even coming from a Carisma it'll be a step up.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Purely out of interest was that a 2.4 or 1.9 JTD?

That's key. I know I contradicted myself earlier but I'm happy to buy a well cared for car over a low mileage equivalent.

She was the 2.4 10v, 140bhp with I believe 304nm.

+1 to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They're vile inside with cheap and nasty plastics. I've tried on many occasion to forgive them that fault but it's simply impossible. The seats are nice mind.

What about a Vectra with the 1.9CDTI engine (same as the 159)? I'd imagine you'd get a newer low mileage example and even coming from a Carisma it'll be a step up.

Same as the Saab too!

That Volvo is a cracker, Bazz

The one thing I've noticed about the Saab's is that the "paint" on the plastic buttons are peeling away.
    I've looked at a few Saabs now and I'm seeing the same issue.
    Looks terrible.

Vectra is a nice car, there are some Sri CDTI's on DD for good money, usually Vauxhauls though.
    They are the same engine, you're correct there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Those S40s are well, well able to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

I have a friend selling an Alfa Romeo 159. Extremely low mileage and he's a car enthusiast so it's well kept. It's a 1.9 Diesel 150bhp. If interested I will post the ad here.

Just looked at some youtube speed videos with the Volvo 2.0d and they seem alright when pushed.
    I think they suffer the same problems as the 1.6D, alternator, DPF etc

Axidium wrote: »
    I have a friend selling an Alfa Romeo 159. Extremely low mileage and he's a car enthusiast so it's well kept. It's a 1.9 Diesel 150bhp. If interested I will post the ad here.

Go ahead I say.

• Advertisement

Fire away :) If my dad and I aren't interested then it may be of some use to someone else here.

Here's the ad. Good friend of mine is selling it. He got a company van and doesn't drive the Alfa. It's really well kept.

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/159/1.9-JTD-/201404221233188/advert?channel=CARS

Here's the ad. Good friend of mine is selling it. He got a company van and doesn't drive the Alfa. It's really well kept.

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/159/1.9-JTD-/201404221233188/advert?channel=CARS

Nice horseshoe alloys.

Nice horseshoe alloys.

Brera alloys. Pretty nice imo.

Brera alloys. Pretty nice imo.

Whoops. Someone called them Horseshoe ones before to me so I just assumed that's what they were. An expensive option at the time. I know another one like it where the owner bought them.

And yes, they're very very nice.

That's a very nice 159. Good colour combo.

Whoops. Someone called them Horseshoe ones before to me so I just assumed that's what they were. An expensive option at the time. I know another one like it where the owner bought them.

And yes, they're very very nice.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-1-8/6293387

These are horseshoe alloys

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-1-6-and-parts-bmw-mercedes/6267483

These are pepper pot alloys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

id go with the audi aswell. probably has the best reputation for reliability and at that mileage he will want something that's reliable and in the garage every second month

f140 wrote: »
    id go with the audi aswell. probably has the best reputation for reliability and at that mileage he will want something that's reliable and in the garage every second month

I don't know about that, they like most German cars can give plenty of problems. Engine might be reliable but plenty of other stuff to potentially go wrong. I'd judge each car on their own merits rather than relying on a general reputation.

• Advertisement

Does that particular Audi have a DPF? The same question with the 320d.
    Haven't heard anything about them so wondering if those cars even had then

Advertisement