Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticket giveaway

• 18-10-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

As you may or may not know, I self-nominated "us" for The Orwell Prize last January. They have sent me an invite to The 2013 Orwell Prize kick-off debate, next Wednesday Oct 24, 2013. I cannot go, as I am stuck in Toronto at the moment. Does anyone else want to go? Have a free drink on me! The key issue is that whoever uses it, needs to be in London next Wednesday. The first person to respond gets it. [Psst! You can pass it along to someone you know in or near London.]

Here is the email I received:

Dear supporters,

We hope you can join us to kick off our 20th year.

The Orwell Prize 2013 will open for entries with our annual launch debate event on Wednesday 24th October at The Frontline Club in Paddington.

The evening will begin with a drinks reception from 6.30pm followed by the announcement of our 2013 judges and some very special news.

We’ll then go on to debate; A crisis in policing? This year’s prominent speakers include Denis MacShane MP, criminologist and film maker Roger Graef and The Times journalist Andrew Norfolk.

If you’d like to come along RSVP to katriona.lewis@mediastandardstrust.org and reserve your free place.

We look forward to seeing lots of you there.

Very best,

Katriona Lewis | Operations Manager, The Orwell Prize

0207 229 5722 | katriona.lewis@mediastandardstrust.org | 5/7 Vernon Yard | Portobello Road | London W11 2DX

‘What I have most wanted to do… is to make political writing into an art’ | George Orwell
    http://www.theorwellprize.co.uk | twitter.com/TheOrwellPrize

http://www.journalisted.com | http://www.valueaddednews.org | http://www.churnalism.com
    http://www.mediastandardstrust.org | twitter.com/NewsMatters

Once the attendee is established, I will respond to Katriona Lewis.

PS: I would have loved to have given you a link to my apolitical comments to them at the time, but they seem to have Ministry Of Truth-ed them . . . how odd?

PPS: a "thanks" does not count, as it is not time-stamped

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

About 4 days has passed, yet there has been no response to the free ticket offer. I really should be getting back to Katriona Lewis with the answer that no-one here wants to go to this debate; it is the honourable thing to do - it's only 2 days before the event, so I must respond to it.

Hang on . . . processing . . .

The first person to respond gets it.

Dang! I just responded to myself! I just got the ticket back in my hands. I'll write the email now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi Katriona,

I tried to give away the “Launch Debate” invite to another representative from ARG MetaPhoria – about 171 people were publicly polled, but there was absolutely zero interest in it, so we are passing on this event. I even advertised they would get 3 beers and a fist full of downs – they’re gonna get ripped, so . . . a good time would be had by all. Still nothing.

By the way, the only “Crisis in Policing” is that the Police Service was invented in the first place. It is simply a masochistic construct. Get a lode of this juicy quote:

If you get someone else to fight your battles, they will eventually battle with YOU. - GO

Just to let you know, fortunately, we will not be submitting our blog for next year’s contest, since the whole Orwell Prize thingy is really not In keeping with Orwell’s dream. Last year’s proceedings were a definite eye-opener for us. You have no intention of doing anything other than continue to embrace and reward trite observations that get nowhere close to the source of the problem . . . the existing failed system of Money Power and Big Business mind games - the Marxist-Hegelian Dialectic of presenting 2 poles – propaganda to divert the people’s attention away from what they would see if left to their own thoughts without the mind games. If they took their eyes of the poles, they would see the truth behind the lies.

For example: 127 people are running for US President . . . you would think there are only 2. [slugger o’toole.com]

George Orwell didn’t explain the slippery slope of fascism to us all, so we could all clap at an annual luge event.

Anyway, bye . . . it’s been a slice. Continue to enjoy the constricted money supply for people on the street, while you [are*] having a gay old time hob-nobbing with money power.

One last thing . . . can you play this song as an icebreaker at the beginning of the event . . . just fer me?

Sent by: Agent Weebley

* Edit not in sent email: added "are" in 2nd to last pargragh for readability . . . accidentally on purpose? Maybe Katriona will think I am a self effacing retard? Maybe I am? And thanks, pickarooney for splitting this off into its own thread.

Later edit @ 9:30am: It's been really bothering me as to why there was a big "are" hole in the email I sent. All I can figure is that the original sentence was constructed as being the present tense. vis: "Continue to enjoy the constricted money supply for people on the street, while you have a gay old time hob-nobbing with money power." Since it seems to be an ongoing hob nob, I must have felt the present imperfect tense was a better fit. Why did I do an incomplete edit? Am I actually daft?

Advertisement