Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about NCT and buying 2nd hand car

Options
  • 25-05-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I've put a deposit on a car. It was first registered in February '07 so was due to have an NCT in February of this year. It didn't.

The dealership said they'd put it through the NCT for me. Or if I take the car now that they will guarantee the first NCT anyway.

How long would it take for them to put it through the NCT? Would I be legally allowed to drive it while waiting for the NCT to happen?

I have the money for the car so I'm itching to take it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anyone can get a car tested within a couple of days - I wouldn't even consider taking it until it had passed the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Wheety wrote: »
    I have the money for the car so I'm itching to take it.
    And the dealer knows it ;)
    Don't let your eagerness play to his advantage.

Ask the dealer if he believes in the car then why hasn't he already NCT'd it.
    I'd advise making the NCT a condition of sale, no NCT no sale, that's what I'd do.

Regarding legality... No, it is not legal to drive without a valid NCT when one is required except when bringing the car directly to or from the test. Whether you get caught for it or not is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks for the replys.

I had the car checked out by Bernard at Carcheck and he said the car is in great condition. He was very thorough too. He also told them that the car passing the NCT is a condition of sale :)

I'll ring the dealership tomorrow and tell him I'm ready to pay the balance and take the car as soon as it has it's NCT.

I was a bit eager earlier and sorted insurance. Said the policy can start on Monday. I'll ring them too and defer the start date.

Oh, and another thing. How do I go about getting tax for it? I think I have to wait until I have the log book etc? So at what point do I tax it? The tax has also lapsed on the car. I think the dealer had it for a few months. Will I declare it as being off road for those few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The dealership said they'd put it through the NCT for me. Or if I take the car now that they will guarantee the first NCT anyway.

You paid a deposit for a car that's overdue it's NCT :eek:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'OR' in that sentence above, that is a complete no brainer. Tell him to submit it for the NCT, don't fall for the bluff. If it fails, ask for your deposit back and go elsewhere.

You would be certifiably mad to take the car without the NCT at this stage.

Have you checked the service history?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you checked the service history?
    Bernard did. He'd know more about it than I would. It has a full service history and just received one recently too.

coylemj wrote: »
    You paid a deposit for a car that's overdue it's NCT :eek:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'OR' in that sentence above, that is a complete no brainer. Tell him to submit it for the NCT, don't fall for the bluff. If it fails, ask for your deposit back and go elsewhere.

You would be certifiably mad to take the car without the NCT at this stage.
    I put down a deposit of €250. It has a full service history (every year) and Bernard from carcheck also had a look at it. He reckons it'll sail through the NCT. I'm going to get them to put it through before I take it though.

Bernard did. He'd know more about it than I would. It has a full service history and just received one recently too.
    Make sure one of you has gone through every invoice/stamp, checked that every required service was performed, and called the garage in question to verify that they did the work. Again, do this before handing over any money. I've looked at cars before where previous owners have 'stripped out' services prior to trading the car in, and that's far from the worst of it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Make sure one of you has gone through every invoice/stamp, checked that every required service was performed, and called the garage in question to verify that they did the work. Again, do this before handing over any money. I've looked at cars before where previous owners have 'stripped out' services prior to trading the car in, and that's far from the worst of it.
    I know I'm relying a lot on what Bernard said but he did come highly recommended and he says he knows the people who carried out the services (Cavanaghs of Charleville) and he said they're a very reputable company.

He would have examined the log book and service history very closely. I have his 5 page report here with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You still have to ask yourself why the dealer selling the car wasn't prepared to take the risk of submitting it for the NCT.

• Advertisement

You still have to ask yourself why the dealer selling the car wasn't prepared to take the risk of submitting it for the NCT.
    I'm not sure about this but the car does seem in very good condition and drives really well.

I did say to him it was a condidtion of sale and he said he'll get it sorted straight away. As I said earlier I'll ring him and tell him that I'm ready to take the car as soon as it has passed the NCT. That should hurry him along.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Could be all sorts of reasons. Being lazy and not wanting to be €50 out of pocket being the top 2 ones :D

As others said, don't pay any money until the NCT is done. If you buy now and get your "NCT guarantee", the dealer has got all his money and has lost interest in spending any more time / money on you and your car.

I know I'm relying a lot on what Bernard said but he did come highly recommended and he says he knows the people who carried out the services (Cavanaghs of Charleville) and he said they're a very reputable company.

He would have examined the log book and service history very closely. I have his 5 page report here with me.
    Sure, but someone needs to pick up the phone to make sure that Cavanagh's did actually service the car as per the stamps. It'll take 5 minutes, and it could save you a world of heartache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

In fairness he's got a competent independent opinion on the car and all seems good.

Probably because someone might have taken the car on foot of the guarantee and that's 50 quid in money and his time on his side of the balance sheet.

Advertisement