Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens here?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

if you wanted a car with higher interior/exterior spec and all the shiny trimmings but it has a 2.0 engine and you chose to swap the engine for say 1.4 for insurance, tax and fuel price purposes....

what happens next? is it a trip to the NCT to get the car "regraded" or "reclassed" and then tax it accordingly or what?

or is it stuck with what its got from 1st day?

also if the 2.0 was brought from the uk could you swap the engine before they check it over for the VRT or would you be just inviting a whole bag of headaches and hassle on yourself seen as they can barley do the job asked of them already,you wouldn't want to make it more complicated for them?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Insurance would likely increase, as the car has been modified, even if the modification results in a decrease in performance.
    Cost to do this would be thousands, as well as the engine, it's most likely the gearbox etc would need to be changed.
    And the car would then be completely worthless when you try and sell it on.

So in short. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

High spec small engined cars are easily got. Things like satnav, leather etc can be fitted afterwards or extras like wheels, body styling, upgraded trim can be swapped from a damaged car

Cost to do this would be thousands, as well as the engine, it's most likely the gearbox etc would need to be changed.

Yep, looms etc bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

okey dokey,its just something i was thinking of...didnt think much into it really.its just a car im thinking about is a 2.0 sport and only that version came with a nice styled front bumper skirts and rear lip with a nice interior.
    mods can incinerate this thread now if they like

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Damokc wrote: »
    okey dokey,its just something i was thinking of...didnt think much into it really.its just a car im thinking about is a 2.0 sport and only that version came with a nice styled front bumper skirts and rear lip with a nice interior.
    mods can incinerate this thread now if they like

That's not something we do tbh. Others may find it useful.

What car is it?

Tbh a 2.0 litre isn't going to be crazy to insure unless it's something ridiculous like a Lancer Evo or something.
    And tax isn't that much crazier on them either. Just do your sums.

• Advertisement

awh fair enough sorry mod.

ah tis a 03 Mazda - 323f sport (facelift model)

nice sporty 5 door hatchback(need more than 2 doors in a few months;))
    in fairness insurance would only be about 100e more than my civic but jumping from 1.4 tax to 2.0 is alot.iv joined club323.co.uk to ask for more info. they say the 2.0 is actually not heavier than the 1.5 or 1.6 unless you dog it.
    2252786-1.jpg
    theyre very thin on the ground in ireland of course. loads of the 2002 sports with the not so nice kits and loads of the 1.8gt version which i look driven to death

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

why in gods name would you torture yourself with a 1.4 in that

when your long term unemployed you take torture as something out of the daily ****e! i can guess people will probably say too dat if was to go for this in a 2.0...why would i when i could get any other nicer 2.0.i happen to think it looks sporty/different.:o

Advertisement