Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black 5 series cars accompanying State visits

Options
  • 23-05-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Are they Garda cars? Are they armoured? Hardly 520ds:D

Jesus they're tasty,

Also underlines for me the M-sport crap is not needed. Understated with a decent set of wheels much nicer IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Were they not 760's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Were they not 760's?

I thought so too, if so, very fast (and expensive) cars:
    http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-Nw%3D%3D%40bb-N0xDSQ%3D%3D%40sit-bmwuk,00.html

544bhp, 0-60 4.8seconds (in a limo!), only available in "Li" stretched form. Available in MSport kit for £2k extra, no performance change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I believe they were donated by BMW for free, no reference sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I thought so too, if so, very fast (and expensive) cars:
    http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-Nw%3D%3D%40bb-N0xDSQ%3D%3D%40sit-bmwuk,00.html

544bhp, 0-60 4.8seconds (in a limo!), only available in "Li" stretched form. Available in MSport kit for £2k extra, no performance change though.

Could you imagine a BMW M7?! Then again the 544bhp with the M-Sport kit is probably as close as you'd get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the link, Matt Simis. What struck me more is that the slowest 7-series does 0-100km/h in just over 7s. A huge diesel auto luxobarge with the same acceleration as todays hottest hatches!

As a comparison, the E38 petrol 728i does 0-100km/h in just under 10s and the diesel 725tds in over 12s...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The 5s led the motorcade, the x2 7s were in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember the fleet of silver Audi A8 3.0TDis doing the rounds back in 2003/2004 when Ireland held the EU Presidency? They were ferrying EU Ministers about the place from Dublin Castle during the EU sumits. Don't think they were State owned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I simply can't understand people who prefer the bog standard bodywork to the M-Sport.

Does the standard bodywork even sell outside of bog standard Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Its funny, if you look up the new 730ds on autotrader in the UK, they ALL have M sport kits. Look them up on carzone.ie and virtually none of them to. Savage looking beasts in sportguise.

I simply can't understand people who prefer the bog standard bodywork to the M-Sport.

My ideal daily car is a very, very powerful saloon that looks as inconspicuous as possible. So yes, I'd prefer the bog standard looks of a base model 5-series but with a powerful V8 or V10 engine under the bonnet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

unkel wrote: »
    My ideal daily car is a very, very powerful saloon that looks as inconspicuous as possible. So yes, I'd prefer the bog standard looks of a base model 5-series but with a powerful V8 or V10 engine under the bonnet :)

A 5 series with an M-Sports bodykit is hardly conspicuous. I'd say about half the 5 series in Ireland have it.

Having 4 exhausts at the back on the other hand is.

The difference the kit makes to the front of the old 5 series is unreal.

bmw-5-series-m-sport-package_100195416_m.jpg
    BMW5Series-13.jpg

A 5 series with an M-Sports bodykit is hardly conspicuous. I'd say about half the 5 series in Ireland have it.

Or more :)

Nearly all 5-series sold these days are the tiny engined 2l 4-pot diesels. With the M-sports package. To me the M package adds not much more to the car than some go faster stripes. But I suppose that's me and the vast majority of people don't agree with me :)

Not many will agree with me or even understand where I'm coming from, but I would love to own an auto 540 (4.4l) V8 E39 that looks exactly like a bog standard 2l 520i. On the standard 15" alloys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭southernstar

Yeah I saw these in Cork and was blown away. Beautiful cars.

Thought they could be british as British security use these also apparently, but the same ones were used for Obama.

Nothing like keeping up appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Nearly all 5-series sold these days are the tiny engined 2l 4-pot diesels. With the M-sports package. To me the M package adds not much more to the car than some go faster stripes. But I suppose that's me and the vast majority of people don't agree with me :)

Not many will agree with me or even understand where I'm coming from, but I would love to own an auto 540 (4.4l) V8 E39 that looks exactly like a bog standard 2l 520i. On the standard 15" alloys :)

f10-m-sport-1.jpg

I can see why people like it.but the f10 se isnt a bad looking car either. but yes Id agree with you I would take a higher powered car with an se kit over a lower powered one with an M sport kit

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

ugly cars altogether,bmw should have kept their older designs much nicer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

ugly cars altogether,bmw should have kept their older designs much nicer .

E39 and E46 before facelift :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I do, but the Irish have a particular soft spot for fur coat & no knickers. Might be something to do with our poverty-stricken, colonial past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep, the 520d M-sport is a poverty-stricken, all fur coat and no knickers type of car. Awful thing really...

gpf101 wrote: »
    Yep, the 520d M-sport is a poverty-stricken, all fur coat and no knickers type of car. Awful thing really...
    It is, but sure it's not too bad to tax.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

The F10s are truly handsome cars alright.

No tacky m-sport kit required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Not many will agree with me or even understand where I'm coming from, but I would love to own an auto 540 (4.4l) V8 E39 that looks exactly like a bog standard 2l 520i. On the standard 15" alloys
    I do agree aside from suspension the MSport is go faster stripes. However I like to have my cake and eat it, Ill take something that looks mean and different with a monster engine.

Unless I was a diehard street racer, I have no need for subterfuge either way (MSport on 4pot or SE on V8). On the 7series, MSport doesnt add much, its just a personal preference in this case IMO.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Unless I was a diehard street racer, I have no need for subterfuge either way
    If you're going to be doing the hooligan IMO you're a lot better off in a bland-looking car.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Having 4 exhausts at the back on the other hand is.

The difference the kit makes to the front of the old 5 series is unreal.

bmw-5-series-m-sport-package_100195416_m.jpg
    BMW5Series-13.jpg

they still look bland...dont like that 5 at all at all at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    they still look bland...dont like that 5 at all at all at all
    While the m-sport front is infinitly better, they are no match for the e39 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

That engine in the 760 is a v12 twin turbo apparently it is the fastest bmw to 60.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anan1 wrote: »
    I do, but the Irish have a particular soft spot for fur coat & no knickers. Might be something to do with our poverty-stricken, colonial past.

This received wisdom is getting a bit old, it's posted all the time as if in all other countries everyone buys big engines and goes nuts with the options lists.

In the UK, they reckon 72% of 5 series sold will be 520ds and most of these will be m sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Am I the only one around here so who thinks every 5 Series since the Bangle era is horrible bar none. The previous generation one (B65Ft Z type series 12 or what ever its called ) is a far better looking car in every respect. BM's have all been horrible since about 2002.

>>>>>>>>>>>> Cue Bangle defending / Bashing :D ( which is not intended , I really do think 5 series are awful )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Am I the only one around here so who thinks every 5 Series since the Bangle era is horrible bar none. The previous generation one (B65Ft Z type series 12 or what ever its called ) is a far better looking car in every respect. BM's have all been horrible since about 2002.

>>>>>>>>>>>> Cue Bangle defending / Bashing :D ( which is not intended , I really do think 5 series are awful )

The 5 can grow on you I find. But the 6 series is ugly, and the 3 series E90 is a non entity. The last 7 series was a big let down for all concerned. Crucified by the S class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

copacetic wrote: »
    This received wisdom is getting a bit old, it's posted all the time as if in all other countries everyone buys big engines and goes nuts with the options lists.

In the UK, they reckon 72% of 5 series sold will be 520ds and most of these will be m sports.

That means Paddy will be clamoring for a nice 130bhp 516d before too long;)...

Not too long ago I would have said that you need a 530d and that the 520d is Paddy-spec but like it or not the trend for the foreseeable future is lower capacity engines with increased economy (and more power per CC). There's even a 4-cylinder S-class out now. The Brits always speced their cars better. Just 'cos they're following the same path doesn't make it right.

I still think a standard 5 with 18'' wheels looks way cooler - it's not trying so hard:cool:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

In response to the original poster's question...

The BMW's used for the Queen',and Obama's, visit were imported from Germany. They arrived on a car transporter complete with German registration plates. (They were obviously since re-registered on 11-D plates). I believe they are armoured, and were leased for a short period.

Anybody notice that the '11-D' Range Rover which transported the Queen around is in fact a UK-owned vehicle?;)
    (Note the UK tax disc in the windscreen)

incidentially, the 2 x water cannon trucks leased from the PSNI (for the period of the two state visits) previously sported '05-D' plates. I didnt see what plates they had attached this time. Same numbers??

Interestingly, the dept of justice could also have opted for 'ZZ' temporary plates for any of the above vehicles (ZZ plates are valid for 30 days) .

Advertisement